Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos and future expansion

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Was that before or after the Football League was formed?

(and, on an obsessive point, didn't Blackburn Olympic win it just before Rovers?)

Before - 1884/5/6 and got a special trophy for the hat-trick of wins. Their first two wins were against Queen's Park, Glasgow and the last WBA. Blackburn Rover started life as Blackburn Grammar School Old Boys in 1874, which would appear to put a small spanner in the idea of them being representative of the working class. Blackburn Olympic won the cup in 1883, beating Old Etonians 2-1 in the final.

#102 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Was that before or after the Football League was formed?

(and, on an obsessive point, didn't Blackburn Olympic win it just before Rovers?)

Rovers were, I think, the first professional team (or team with professional players) to win it.  In the early years it really was just a competition for jolleee amateurs.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#103 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

The roots of football, both rugby and soccer 

Lies within the Christian churches- mainly Anglican, Roman Catholic and Methodist.

The clergy and hierarchy of which were largely if not almost entirely middle and upper class.

If it wasn't fir 'muscular Christianity' -as espoused by these people: the reverend Frank Marshall bid g s notorious proponent, many famous rugby and soccer clubs would never have existed and many working class men wouldn't have been exposed to football of any kind

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#104 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Not sure how we reached this point, but I would have thought that the RL market in London may consist of a lot of northerners whose presence in London at all may suggest they've a bit of cash, and Anzacs for whom the concept is much less meaningful. They're the markets I'd go for. When you have millions of people within an hour's radius then preaching to the converted would be my starting point.

#105 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Not sure how we reached this point, but I would have thought that the RL market in London may consist of a lot of northerners whose presence in London at all may suggest they've a bit of cash, and Anzacs for whom the concept is much less meaningful. They're the markets I'd go for. When you have millions of people within an hour's radius then preaching to the converted would be my starting point.

1. How do you target the expat northerners? Unlike nationalities that have traditional areas where you can make a start, northerners are scattered all over the region. Blanket ads cost too much. Nigel has a list of 40,000 big hit ticket buyers and that's where I'd start.
2. ANZACS will come but they are bloody hard work. TNT are the best route to them

#106 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

1. How do you target the expat northerners? Unlike nationalities that have traditional areas where you can make a start, northerners are scattered all over the region. Blanket ads cost too much. Nigel has a list of 40,000 big hit ticket buyers and that's where I'd start.
2. ANZACS will come but they are bloody hard work. TNT are the best route to them

Well said

Most northerners in the north aren't interested in rugby league: being northern doesn't make you a rugby league fan

People are capable of taking their own decisions about their lives that aren't dependent on where they come from.

Many people in the south east have already done that and enjoy rugby league: but for a combination of reasons have become disenchanted with the Broncos or haven't engaged with them in the first place. To me these are the raw material of the essential Broncos revival

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 02 January 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Keeping it local

#107 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Your a tigers fan yet you say you watch rugby union

Something wrong here

Given that he has responded twice on the thread but not responded to you. Perhaps he is a Leicester and not a Cas Tiger.

#108 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Given that he has responded twice on the thread but not responded to you. Perhaps he is a Leicester and not a Cas Tiger.

One was having one's little joke

Keeping it local

#109 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

I would rather London Broncos work alongside thge amateur Rugby League scene in London and South East England with people who have a passion for the game. Just because somebody is from Australia or Northern England does not mean they have an interest in RL. Just beceause somebody is a Londoner does not mean they have no interest in RL. As you say preaching to the converted is where to start and that for me is working with people who are running and playing the game in London area and helping them. Working together to promote the sport and offering a pathway for the best London boys to play pro Rugby. Those that dont make it are encouraged to go back to their club and pass on what they have learnt. I tfeel that would be the best market to start with that would get the best results. maybe look to host a game as a warm up to London Broncos game at Barnet. Once you have that then look to work with people in the area London will be playing and offer schools coaching and tickets etc. London will not have the money and marketing skills to target much more in its current shape.

#110 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

One was having one's little joke

Or come to think of it he could be an old Balmain Tiger. (and yes I am a bit slow )

#111 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

I would rather London Broncos work alongside thge amateur Rugby League scene in London and South East England with people who have a passion for the game. Just because somebody is from Australia or Northern England does not mean they have an interest in RL. Just beceause somebody is a Londoner does not mean they have no interest in RL. As you say preaching to the converted is where to start and that for me is working with people who are running and playing the game in London area and helping them. Working together to promote the sport and offering a pathway for the best London boys to play pro Rugby. Those that dont make it are encouraged to go back to their club and pass on what they have learnt. I tfeel that would be the best market to start with that would get the best results. maybe look to host a game as a warm up to London Broncos game at Barnet. Once you have that then look to work with people in the area London will be playing and offer schools coaching and tickets etc. London will not have the money and marketing skills to target much more in its current shape.

I suppose I'm of one of what you may call a 'homegrown' London rl fan, in that I had no previous links to the sport and I wasn't a Northerner down south or an Aussie ex-pat, just a Londoner who discovered the game through sky and became a fan, once I was able to attend matches. In all my years going, I haven't heard too many Aussie accents in the stands, I've mostly heard Southern accents, so I think it's a myth that we should only target Northerners and Aussies, but unfortunately that's what the club continue to do. One area I've not seen us target is London students, might be a good target, especially if we can promote some sort of cheap deal. 

#112 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:24 AM

...problem with marketing cheap deals to students (or anyone else for that matter) is that Gus has now passed the marketing to AK's Hive team, which consists of an ex-estate agent, a sports journalist who graduated in 2012 and an ex-recruitment sales agent. Barnet v Luton is the closest thing they have to a derby this year and they only got 3,600 in.....I fear for this marketing teams abilities!

This, coupled with the fact that the Hive is geared up to attract members paying monthly subscriptions doesn't bode well for 'CHEAP DEALS".

It has also been mentioned that other SL clubs give out their season tickets with FREE ENTRY TO AWAY GAMES FOR THEIR YOUTH. Not sure what Mr K is going to make of that, but if he doesn't like it, I suspect 2014 could be another record year for attendances at London SL games in the capital.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users