Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Muslims refuse to sell alcohol and pork at M&S. Yay or Nay?

muslims islam M&S

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Marks & Spencer have now announced that they are allowing their Muslim employees to blank refuse to sell customers any alcohol or pork products due to 'religious reasons'. Obviously Muslims have been banned from drinking alcohol or pork because Allah told them not to. However this new initiative seems to cross the line from 'consuming' to handling'.

Customers in future will have to wait until there is another member of staff available, and then that non-Muslim would serve them for the transaction. Customers who do not have any pork products or alcohol could then skip ahead of the alcohol-customer so that the Muslim till operator can serve them.

A spokesman for M&S said: “We recognise that some of our employees practise religions that restrict the food or drink they can handle."

M&S said they re-wrote these rules with the help and advice of religious groups. This is not the first time M&S has seen controvery over their Muslim checkout operators, in 2008 one refused to serve an elderly woman wanting to buy a book called "First Bible Stories" for her grandson, calling the book unclean.

M&S - Allow Muslims to refuse to serve customers

Sainsburys - No reason why Muslims should not handle foods

Tesco - Makes no sense to employ someone who refuses to handle food

Asda - Muslims who refuse will not been allowed on checkout tills

Morrisons - Same rules as M&S - Muslims can refuse to serve alcohol or pork products

There are now nearly 3 million Muslims in the UK and Islam is now the most practiced religion in the country. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK: between 2001 and 2009 the Muslim population increased almost 10 times faster than the non-Muslim population. Of course it is presumed that the majority of Muslims will not refuse to serve customers alcohol and pork, or would alternatively not want to go on checkout tills.

Do you agree with Marks & Spencer's stance?

Would you be annoyed or concerned if a Muslim were to refuse to serve you?

Is it not discrimination to force Muslims to serve customers?

Have stores been too tolerant and accomodating of religious beliefs?

Are Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys being discriminatory, Islamophobic or anti-multicultural?

Daily Mirror

Huffington Post

Daily Telegraph / DT Comments

Daily Mail

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am generally tolerant, but this is just madness.

If people don't want to do certain things at work then find a job elsewhere that suits your crackpot belief in mystical nonsense.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

I once asked this question to someone who used to work on the cold meat counter  at  a Morrisons store in a predominantly muslim area of Bradford. The store had one or two muslim women on the meat counter and they had not objected to weighing and handling pork and ham. However, at Morrisons, all staff on their meat counters had to  wear clear plastic gloves when serving.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

I hate ALL religion, and I would kick up a massive fuss if anyone refused to serve me on religious grounds.

#5 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

Doesn't bother me in the slightest if any organisation feels the need to have policies such as this to work with staff's religious beliefs. If I felt I was getting poor customer service in said stores due to having to wait whilst they repeatedly swap staff around however, then I'll have no problem in taking my business elsewhere. If this becomes a problem on a large scale, then stores will soon revise such policies.

The one thing I don't understand however is why people apply for jobs they know they are not prepared to do due to their religious beliefs. If you don't want to do a job, or certain parts of it, then find employment in a role that doesn't upset your religious viewpoint.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'll tell my boss my sky pixie commands me to use the company credit card for my own purposes.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,338 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Agree with Padge.    And what if  my religion forbade me from being served by a muslim, or a catholic or whatever.

NB. I don't actually have a religion, though THIS ONE sounds appealing.

#8 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

Marks & Spencer have now announced that they are allowing their Muslim employees to blank refuse to sell customers any alcohol or pork products due to 'religious reasons'. Obviously Muslims have been banned from drinking alcohol or pork because Allah told them not to. However this new initiative seems to cross the line from 'consuming' to handling'.

Customers in future will have to wait until there is another member of staff available, and then that non-Muslim would serve them for the transaction. Customers who do not have any pork products or alcohol could then skip ahead of the alcohol-customer so that the Muslim till operator can serve them.

A spokesman for M&S said: “We recognise that some of our employees practise religions that restrict the food or drink they can handle."

M&S said they re-wrote these rules with the help and advice of religious groups. This is not the first time M&S has seen controvery over their Muslim checkout operators, in 2008 one refused to serve an elderly woman wanting to buy a book called "First Bible Stories" for her grandson, calling the book unclean.

M&S - Allow Muslims to refuse to serve customers

Sainsburys - No reason why Muslims should not handle foods

Tesco - Makes no sense to employ someone who refuses to handle food

Asda - Muslims who refuse will not been allowed on checkout tills

Morrisons - Same rules as M&S - Muslims can refuse to serve alcohol or pork products

There are now nearly 3 million Muslims in the UK and Islam is now the most practiced religion in the country. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK: between 2001 and 2009 the Muslim population increased almost 10 times faster than the non-Muslim population. Of course it is presumed that the majority of Muslims will not refuse to serve customers alcohol and pork, or would alternatively not want to go on checkout tills.

Do you agree with Marks & Spencer's stance?

Would you be annoyed or concerned if a Muslim were to refuse to serve you?

Is it not discrimination to force Muslims to serve customers?

Have stores been too tolerant and accomodating of religious beliefs?

Are Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys being discriminatory, Islamophobic or anti-multicultural?

Daily Mirror

Huffington Post

Daily Telegraph / DT Comments

Daily Mail

I think it's a non story put out by  the tabloids because the "winterval" myth has been exposed repeatedly as the rubbish it was so they need something else to whip up some outrage.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Jewish Chronicle have been asking and apparently the staff rules also apply to Jewish counter assistants.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think it's a non story put out by  the tabloids because the "winterval" myth has been exposed repeatedly as the rubbish it was so they need something else to whip up some outrage.

The Telegraph isn't a tabloid. Are you saying that the story isn't true?

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Agree with Padge.    And what if  my religion forbade me from being served by a muslim, or a catholic or whatever.

NB. I don't actually have a religion, though THIS ONE sounds appealing.

You will like thia latest development, then...

link

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

I've noticed quite a few 'winter festivals' making a comeback. Victories for common sense!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#13 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Back in the days when I was stationed in Bahrain, the local Muslims would meet in the desert at night to drink themselves crazy from alcohol. Some local Muslim workers in the Army depot would sneak something to eat during the day, even though Ramadan was being observed.  It was hilarious seeing their faces of surprise and guilt if they were found out by the lads.  ;)

Edited by Saint Billinge, 22 December 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#14 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'm saying the telegraph has a similar agenda to that of the tabloids

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#15 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I have noticed a bit of a backlash occurring M&S may be about to regret this.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#16 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

I would be wondering why a person who refuses to sell certain things, is placed in a position to serve me.

#17 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,867 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

The difficulty with this principle is that it could be extended to other staff so that hardly anyone would be prepared to serve a whole range of goods.

Should vegetarians serve meat, and so on?

And of course it isn't as though any members of staff actually handle alcohol or pork products directly. Booze is presumably in bottles, and pork is presumably wrapped.

I would be surprised if many Muslim members of staff had requested this new practice.

#18 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

Probably

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#19 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

As far as winter festivals go, isn't anyone aware that many Muslims revere Jesus Christ almost as much as they do Mohamed, he is one of the major prophets of Islam. Anyway much of the stuff we do at Christmas has very little to do with Christianity and quite a lot to do with pagan beliefs which came here from Germany.  As Shads says it's just another media "winterval" scam.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#20 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't see the problem... if I go to M&S and a member of staff refuses to sell me stuff that's on sale in the store then I'll simply abandon my shopping and not go back to the store making it very clear why.  That's M&S's choice, they're already struggling as a brand so it's not exactly going to make their profits go up.  The quality of M&S food is just not up to the price they charge meaning it's very hard to get real value for money there these days.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway