Good news that's not being reported

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Link to Cracked.com.  Although it's an American biased source it's still quite telling that we hear almost nothing about this in the media.

In summary for those that don't like clicking on links:

5.  We're closing in on world peace

4.  Teens are less likely to smoke, drink or do drugs than anytime in the last four decades

3.  America, and most likely everywhere else if they expanded that, is becoming more tolerant

2.  Literacy is at an all-time high

1.  Worldwide poverty judged by living conditions is at an all-time low.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

I posted this hoping that others would keep it running with more bits of good news that really don't get reported enough.  Any you've seen that get ignored and you want to post?  It doesn't have to be world-changing matters, just simple kindness or positive news from a local perspective.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Surprised that it's  not been posted on here before, considering how many posters come from there, but Bradford has a good news only paper, The Bradfordian which boasts that it is "The UK's first 'good news only' regional newspaper". Enjoy.

• ckn likes this
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Here's something that made me smile:  Nigerian man's first experience of snow.  I remember university with the Malaysian students there playing in the snow at 2am.  Just sheer happiness at seeing frozen rain.

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Homelessness in Utah may be non-existent by 2015 thanks to some proper political thought and planning.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Here's something that made me smile:  Nigerian man's first experience of snow.  I remember university with the Malaysian students there playing in the snow at 2am.  Just sheer happiness at seeing frozen rain.

I sometimes wish I'd never seen snow until I was old enough to be properly gobsmacked by it.

• ckn likes this

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,350 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Surprised that it's not been posted on here before, considering how many posters come from there, but Bradford has a good news only paper, The Bradfordian which boasts that it is "The UK's first 'good news only' regional newspaper". Enjoy.

Is it a one sided A5 sheet? ;)

#8 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

When I was at school we had two Jamaican brothers that came into the class.
On their first day we were having a lesson with a very austere Housemaster that was a stickler for discipline, no one took any liberties with him.
During the double lesson it started to snow and in no time there was a fairly good coating of snow on the ground.
Mr Vaughan surprised us all by suddenly pointing at the two Griffiths Boys. "you two he bellowed, have you ever seen snow before?"
"No Sir" one of them said.
"Right, get out there and I don't want to see you back in this class unless you are covered in the stuff!"
As they left the class Mr Vaughan shouted at us in his most severe tone, "what are you lot staring at ? I've given you work now get on with it"
We could see the two lads snowballing each other and having a whale of a time.
I've never forgotten that little act of kindness and from then on despite his severity he was one of my favourite teachers.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

35 pictures that prove the world isn't such a bad place

#10 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Brought a lump to my throat

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Id never heard of the Bradfordian newspaper till I read this thread!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

A friend if mine who was skint and on the way to an interview popped into a Barbers in Leeds and asked if he could use their clippers to shave his head. He needed a hair cut badly. In the end the Barber have him a neat back and sides for free.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

A friend if mine who was skint and on the way to an interview popped into a Barbers in Leeds and asked if he could use their clippers to shave his head. He needed a hair cut badly. In the end the Barber have him a neat back and sides for free.

Oh, good man! :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

. Hate to rain on the parade but some of them I think have post hoc stories added.

I know on 34 it wasn't two college footballers taking pity on the "poor disabled guy" in that photo. I recall reading somewhere that the truth is actually they are three mates who eat lunch together. No pity, just three friends having lunch, makes the explanation sound a bit patronising really in my opinion.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

If at least one of these 35 things doesn't make you smile then you really need some help...

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

Talking of random acts of kindness, this photo was used on the back of Ry Cooder's album 'Pull up some Dust and sit down'.

ry-cooder-pull-up-some-dust-and-sit-down

#17 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I saw this last year but wondered if he'd blow it all as people can easily do if they've no clue what to do with money.  Saw something on the news last week asking "whatever happened to..." and apparently he's doing very well for himself with his new job and re-acquaintance with his long-lost family.

Karma is a good thing :)

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

Did you know that Didier Drogba received £3m in sponsorship from Pepsi and he used every penny to build 5 large clinics/mini-hospitalsin his home country of Ivory Coast?  He also routinely gives away much of his earnings to his charitable foundation that's helping to rebuild the country after its civil war.  He's also instrumental in driving fundraising events to help do even more than he can with just his money.

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Did you know that Didier Drogba received £3m in sponsorship from Pepsi and he used every penny to build 5 large clinics/mini-hospitalsin his home country of Ivory Coast?  He also routinely gives away much of his earnings to his charitable foundation that's helping to rebuild the country after its civil war.  He's also instrumental in driving fundraising events to help do even more than he can with just his money.

I thought that was a typo for a second... ;) 

Seriously, well done to him. There are a few of these so-called "overpaid prima-donnas" who do have a social conscience. Angel Rangel, for instance.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Drogba is a remarkable guy. 

Drogba is credited with playing a vital role in bringing peace to his country. After Côte d'Ivoire qualified for the 2006 World Cup, Drogba made a desperate plea to the combatants, asking them to lay down their arms, a plea which was answered with a cease fire after five years of civil war. Drogba later helped move an African Cup of Nations qualifier to the rebel stronghold of Bouake; a move that helped confirm the peace process. On 24 January 2007, Drogba was appointed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as a Goodwill Ambassador. The UNDP were impressed with his previous charity work and believed that his high profile would help raise awareness on African issues. In September 2011, Drogba joined the Truth, Reconciliation and Dialogue Commission as a representative to help return peace to his home nation. His involvement in the peace process led to Drogba being named as one of the world's 100 most influential people by Time magazine for 2010

see http://en.wikipedia....i/Didier_Drogba  under personal life.

On Radio Five Live this morning there was a guy who pays for  up and coming sports people to go to Wembley and othre places  to watch soccer, rugby - he mentioned league and many other sports. Didn't get his name

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users