Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Royal pardon for codebreaker Alan Turing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

fine he has a pardon  but really what good does it do .  the guy is dead  it wont bring him back  .

just another attempt to rewrite history 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#22 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

If someone receives a Royal Pardon, isn't it supposed to mean that they were not guilty of the offence they were convicted of?

Timothy Evans, who was hanged in the 1950s for murdering his wife and child, was granted a Royal Pardon when it became clear that he was innocent, and that the Rillington Place murders had been committed by John Christie.

Similarly, soldiers who were wrongly court martialled and executed in the FWW for cowardice should receive a Royal Pardon on the same basis.

There is another class of criminal offence that Turing and other gay people could be classified as, which are criminal acts that they committed that are later legalised. I'm sure there would be other criminal offences from the past that would also look barbaric to us today.

Turing was a genius and was treated appallingly. But then no doubt so were many others who were less intellectually able, and there were other famous people who were convicted of homosexual offences, including the actor John Gielgud.

Perhaps there should be a procedure whereby people convicted of crimes that are no longer criminal offences could have their guilt collectively annulled by a subsequent government decree.

A lot of people are confused about what this pardon actually means.

Firstly it does not mean that the person is now not guilty of the offence. Indeed, the statutory pardon for the 306 soldiers executed in the first world war expressly stated that the pardon did not affect either the conviction or even the validity of the sentence given.  The argument was that it was wrong to impugn the official decisions which led to the executions.  All that the Ministry of Defence did was, as an administrative act, to put a copy of the pardon on each executed soldier’s file.

What does a pardon do? It simply removes the consequences of the guilty verdict. In other words it removes the punishment.

A pardon is actually intended for the living not the dead. If you are in jail seving 10 years and you are pardoned after a year then you are set free from the punishment. You are still in the eyes of the law guily of the original offence.

It is therefore a VERY odd thing to pardon a person dead since 1954. I suspect as usual it a political stunt with the politicians banking on the public thinking it is a "jolly good thing" knowing that they won't have a clue what it actually means.

Edited by John Rhino, 27 December 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

fine he has a pardon  but really what good does it do .  the guy is dead  it wont bring him back  .

just another attempt to rewrite history 

How does it rewrite history?

We know what he achieved, what he contributed, what he endured and how he was treated.

In what way has that been altered?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

A lot of people are confused about what this pardon actually means.

Firstly it does not mean that the person is now not guilty of the offence. Indeed, the statutory pardon for the 306 soldiers executed in the first world war expressly stated that the pardon did not affect either the conviction or even the validity of the sentence given.  The argument was that it was wrong to impugn the official decisions which led to the executions.  All that the Ministry of Defence did was, as an administrative act, to put a copy of the pardon on each executed soldier’s file.

What does a pardon do? It simply removes the consequences of the guilty verdict. In other words it removes the punishment.

A pardon is actually intended for the living not the dead. If you are in jail seving 10 years and you are pardoned after a year then you are set free from the punishment. You are still in the eyes of the law guily of the original offence.

It is therefore a VERY odd thing to pardon a person dead since 1954. I suspect as usual it a political stunt with the politicians banking on the public thinking it is a "jolly good thing" knowing that they won't have a clue what it actually means.

Well said

If you are pardoned you are forgiven not exonerated

I think the problem arises because of the fact that homosexuality was illegal at the time and Turing was 'guilty' of it

Unlike cases where a person hasn't committed the crime, been found guilty and punished.

Imho it's good that atonement is being thought about and I believe it's called for and that it should apply to all gay men convicted of this 'offence'

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 27 December 2013 - 07:50 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#25 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

We also know that (especially) in the early fifties homosexuals were considered a security risk, given the Burgess and McLean affair involved gay men.  Turing allegedly committed suicide, but he was poisoned  with cyanide, tbh  I wouldn't have a clue where to get hold of any cyanide. There is a strong suspicion that he was assassinated by MI5 or MI6.  Given the revelations about what they were up to (undermining elected British and other governments) I wouldn't be in the least surprised.  

What a way to treat a man who more than many others actually made a positive contribution to our country. As has been said, his work shortened that war, and save thousands (possibly millions) of lives.  Pardon! We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Edited by Trojan, 29 December 2013 - 05:12 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

That's a somewhat fanciful view. Poisoned? Really? WE should be ashamed? Well, yes to the extent that the prevailing view at the time did not support a change in the (wholly wrong) law. If WE should be ashamed of anything , I'd go for the nonsense that was the death penalty....which has considerable support on here and in the country but is wholly wrong.

#27 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

That's a somewhat fanciful view. Poisoned? Really? WE should be ashamed? Well, yes to the extent that the prevailing view at the time did not support a change in the (wholly wrong) law. If WE should be ashamed of anything , I'd go for the nonsense that was the death penalty....which has considerable support on here and in the country but is wholly wrong.

I don't know if he was assassinated or not, but it has been suggested and I wouldn't be surprised given the attitudes of those who ran (run) the security services. As for the attitudes to homosexuality, it's not that long since the Tories introduced Section 28, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get a working majority next time to see them try to reintroduce it.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users