Why not new trophy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

With us not starting fixtures until March, because Northern Rail have withdrawn sponsorship this season, it made me wonder why the R.L. could not introduce a trophy for this season. How much would it actually cost them? The cost of a trophy [which doesn't have to be gold or even silver] it could be a wooden shield. If they sponsor medals, they don't have to be gold or silver, so I think £1,000 could cut it. I'm surprised the Championship 1 sides have not got together and asked them to do it. Anybody got any other thoughts on this?

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#2 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Good idea, but assume its too late now with the league fixtures already

published & most clubs having their friendlies all sorted

#3 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

Good point, but it would appear that a number of clubs especially in Championship i do not want any extra fixtures.

Somebody please enlighten me but I'am sure I've read somewhere that only 1 club will be promoted from Championship 1 next season and it will be the club who wins the Grand Final  and not the one who finishes top of the league. If this is true in order to save money why don't clubs cancel all the lrague games, and just play a knock out competition at the end of the season to see who goes into the Championship ????!!

Edited by FRISKY FILLY, 24 December 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#4 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 902 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

With the amount of travelling involved and the expected crowd figures in this division, I guess more games between the teams is just going to mean even greater losses financially. Nobody enjoys going to away games more than me, but even I'd baulk at multiple trips to some of the places we'll be visiting next season to play cup-ties just to make up the numbers on the games front ... 

#5 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Rather than meaningless friendlies, or a full intensity cup competition like the NR Cup, maybe the warm up games between Championship sides could be something in between? The Northern Rail Cup was classed as a major trophy and given equivalent, or even higher status as winning the league. But if we had a competition called "The Local Deby Cup", sides could play their warm-up games in a mini league against their local rivals. The winners could then progress into semi's and then a final for a minor trophy that wouldn't carry too much prestige and few thousand quid in cash. After the excellent attendance at the Heavy Woollen derby on Boxing Day, maybe there is a case that competitive matches between local rivals would be better attended?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users