TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Academies

Question?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

In league weekly (I bought this rag as a one off and subscribe to LE)Mr. Dave (Nosey) Parker staes "the RFL will be "licensing" only 10 academies for 2014 with two of them set to be Cumbria and the North east".

What does this mean? Are the SL academies of old the Licensed ones, and the Sheffield and Featherstone ones "unlicensed"

Could this mean if there was a London academy next year up to six clubs would not have their own licensed professional academy anymore???

Are some SL clubs to drop academies altogether? what will removing a licence mean is an SL academy remains unlicensed??

Are Hull/HKR going to join??

#2 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

It's hardly news, the RFL announced their intentions for player development in the policy review document. There will be 3 tiered structure, full-time academies, part-time centre of excellences and local club development programmes. Only the 10 full-time academies will receive RFL funding.

http://media.therfl....tember 2013.pdf

#3 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

It's hardly news, the RFL announced their intentions for player development in the policy review document. There will be 3 tiered structure, full-time academies, part-time centre of excellences and local club development programmes. Only the 10 full-time academies will receive RFL funding.

http://media.therfl....tember 2013.pdf

Thank you.

My main default position is to ask the question and wait for you or Griff to furnish the answer.

The policy review for the senior clubs, and all the politics around it have occupied my tiny mind up to now, but it seems like not only will Superleague itself be effectively cut to eight clubs, the academy will only accommodate eight professional academies.

It's been said several times on here some clubs are going through the motions in terms of academies because licensing requires it. Is this chance for the poor SL relations to now opt out?

BTW - have a great Cumbrian Christmas...

#4 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 994 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

Midlands has an RFL Academy too.

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Midlands has an RFL Academy too.

It's unlikely to be handed one of the 10 licenses though, is it?

#6 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

I'm (expertly) informed Salford and Fartown won't get a license come 2015?

As your an old devil, know anything about this? Richest club in SL faces no academy?

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

I'm (expertly) informed Salford and Fartown won't get a license come 2015?

As your an old devil, know anything about this? Richest club in SL faces no academy?

Absolutely no idea.

#8 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:13 AM

Andy Kelly is set to leave the North East RFL Academy to become Head of Youth at the Giants so that would suggest to me that the Giants will be included in the plans.

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#9 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 994 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

Why?

#10 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

Why?

I would just be very surprised if the RFL excluded another established Super League club in order to accommodate a nascent set-up with a limited pool of existing players and no track record of producing Super League quality players. Regardless of whether this is the right decision, it would be incendiary.

I can see the thought process behind what the RFL is trying to do here but I think it runs the r

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Why?

I would just be very surprised if the RFL excluded another established Super League club in order to accommodate a nascent set-up with a limited pool of existing players and no track record of producing Super League quality players. Regardless of whether this is the right decision, it would be incendiary.

I can see the thought process behind what the RFL is trying to do here but I think it runs the risk of provoking another mutiny if it tries to create 'haves' and 'have nots' within Super League itself.

#12 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

given that Huddersfield have started to produce a number of good players in the last few years  it would be foolish to  not include them

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#13 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 994 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

I can see the thought process behind what the RFL is trying to do here but I think it runs the risk of provoking another mutiny if it tries to create 'haves' and 'have nots' within Super League itself.

Same for North East and Cumbria then? Cumbria only celebrated first Super League signing last month?

#14 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

We dont currently get funded by the RFL.

Are we outside of all of this ?

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

We dont currently get funded by the RFL.

Are we outside of all of this ?

You can fund your own academy in your own country :P
Posted Image

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Same for North East and Cumbria then? Cumbria only celebrated first Super League signing last month?

Slightly misleading response. There are loads of Cumbrians in Super League, it's just that previously they've had to travel elsewhere to join decent academies.

It would be good to see an effective academy in the Midlands once there are enough bona fide junior clubs able to feed into it. Same goes for the northeast and elsewhere.

Edited by Pottsy, 26 December 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

widnes academy was rated in the top six so i would expect us to be in the mix.

that said why oh why mess about with a system that is working well, every club has reaped the benefits of having a robust academy system, it just opens the doo for clubs to sign more third rate antipodeans.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 27 December 2013 - 11:40 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

I recon any club can run an academy team  but only the select few will get money off the rfl to help fund them

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#19 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

We have so far but every little helps... :tongue:

#20 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

I think the Academy outfits that Parker is referring to are the under 16 and perhaps 15s. If that is so then yes, the South Wales academy will be one of the 10 I'd say. Midlands too along with Cumbria, North East and London.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users