Are BARLA and RFL as far apart as ever?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Last week The RFL sent out, I understand, insurance renewals for some clubs whose run out on 31st Dec.

This morning BARLA have sent insurance renewals to the same clubs with this cryptic message in the e mail

'It is all a matter of choice, given what has occurred over the last week please be careful what you wish for and please be
aware of Greeks bearing gifts'.

Are BARLA and The RFL moving further and further apart?

#2 Sam Armstrong

Sam Armstrong
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Absolutely ..... always going to be a problem while these still think they are in charge!
Attached File  image.jpg   147.95KB   3 downloads

Edited by Sam Armstrong, 24 December 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Sam Armstrong

Sam Armstrong
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Up to their usual games which is such a pity to see a once great Association seemingly doing little more than taking an opposite stance to pretty much everyone else.

Students, Schools, the Armed Forces, Youth & Junior rugby plus all the new developing areas throughout the country have embraced the support of the RFL and are progressing while the BARLA Peoples' Republic of Yorkshire & T'Pennines stagnates before spiralling backwards to it's Impending demise.

There is a need for an amateur association but it has to be an integrated one that embraces the concept of working TOGETHER and not one where the deluded blazer wearing Board (while doing little else other than flipping through holiday brochures planning their next jaunt/tour abroad) think that they, as the tail, can wag the whole dog. Sadly this dog is quickly becoming 'Old Shep' and needs putting out of it's and our misery!!!

Edited by Sam Armstrong, 24 December 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#4 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

I feel sorry for the leagues that have stood by BARLA. They must wonder what the hell is going on. I know there is a new Chair in place, but I would have thought that we might have seen some form of survey or something to gauge the views of member clubs by now and see how (if at all) the association can move the game forward and enjoy a closer relationship with the RFL. I did hear a rumour that the Pennine League were considering breaking away completely, but I took that to be nothing more than chinese whispers.

The lack of information coming from BARLA has got worse year on year, and I for one struggle to see what its role is in the modern game. I'm sure I can look forward to the 'die hards' coming on here telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about, but facts are facts and unless the powers that be very quickly come up with some sort of formulative plan then the association will be finished within two years either by its own accord or with leagues walking away and becoming self governing under the umbrella of the RFL.

#5 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

Last week The RFL sent out, I understand, insurance renewals for some clubs whose run out on 31st Dec.

This morning BARLA have sent insurance renewals to the same clubs with this cryptic message in the e mail

'It is all a matter of choice, given what has occurred over the last week please be careful what you wish for and please be
aware of Greeks bearing gifts'.

Are BARLA and The RFL moving further and further apart?

If that was seriously what was put in an official release from the so called governing body for the amateur games then it speak volumes. A sad end to a once great organisation. Taken over and left to rot. No independence anymore. Do they think many clubs are going to risk climbing onto that raft?

#6 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

That sadly is the poison pen of Mr Manning, an idiot to say the least, and you can quote me on that

BARLA knew over12 months ago the RFL intended to take the insurance to safeguard them against prosecution should something happen on the pitch. There was too much ambiguity in Policy and they openly got criticised in a  court of law by a Judge, this was reported back o the board on more than one occasion. BARLA always stated that they gained no profit for Insurance so when I negotiated to release the insurance with a remuneration every year on going it was rejected? ill let you wonder why !

They are further away because they simply still believe they are the governing body of Amateur Rugby League. Ill point this time Roger; all fingers point in one direction and that's down the pan if they continue to distance themselves from the main table. 

The chair has chosen her shipmates its almost time to sink or swim, there will be no sailing off into the sunset

#7 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

They should be disbanded and discarded along with the word amateur. Fresh start and national growth are what's needed, not ridiculous political machinations and point scoring. Non the same way that the SL and KPCC clubs need to work together, all the community clubs should be working together to support a growth in player numbers, increase inclusivity and heal the rifts. I just wish we had a strong enough RFL leadership to push it through without unnecessary compromise. Remove the blazeaucrats and lrun the sport as a whole!!
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#8 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

That sadly is the poison pen of Mr Manning, an idiot to say the least, and you can quote me on that

BARLA knew over12 months ago the RFL intended to take the insurance to safeguard them against prosecution should something happen on the pitch. There was too much ambiguity in Policy and they openly got criticised in a  court of law by a Judge, this was reported back o the board on more than one occasion. BARLA always stated that they gained no profit for Insurance so when I negotiated to release the insurance with a remuneration every year on going it was rejected? ill let you wonder why !

They are further away because they simply still believe they are the governing body of Amateur Rugby League. Ill point this time Roger; all fingers point in one direction and that's down the pan if they continue to distance themselves from the main table. 

The chair has chosen her shipmates its almost time to sink or swim, there will be no sailing off into the sunset

That must be the understatement of the year Stu .... I think that idiot is being kind to describe a person who wouldn't know one end of a rugby ball from the other. I'm sure that I have a plethora of adjectives to describe the BARLA Media manager, who in truth has been carried in his role for a number of years.

We could amuse ourselves this Christmas with, "The Captain Mannering Services to rugby league game," which is available in most waste bins and skips, with the top prize - should anyone be able to name one positive thing that he has brought to the game - a signed, poison pen copy of his trademark catchphrase; I'm numb and I know it, but I'm good at what I do."

And while I'm dishing out the festive frivolities, how about the bag lady who, in her pre-election manneringfest, promised the objectives listed below; 

• To represent all who are committed to our game by creating a unified voice
  • Promote BARLA / County Cups / National Cups
  • To provide an opportunity for everyone to learn and develop the game
  • Up to date information available to clubs via website/handbooks
  • Administration
  • Better working relationships between BARLA/RFL

Suprisingly thus far, the BARLA Chair and her board have not come within a light year of attaining any of these

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 25 December 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#9 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Let the Pennine League/Barla go their way if they wish. Let everyone else go the other to a hopefully brighter future.

I'll give it a season or two before the Pennine clubs realise they've be sold a dud and look for some safety elsewhere.

#10 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Wonder how much is in the BARLA pot.

This is from the constitution.

"Dissolution
15.1 A resolution to dissolve BARLA shall be proposed as a Two Thirds Resolution at a General assembly meeting.
15.2 The dissolution shall take effect from the date of the resolution and the Board of Management shall be responsible for the winding up of the assets and liabilities of BARLA.
15.3 Any property remaining after the discharge of the debts and liabilities of BARLA shall be divided equally among the Members at the date of dissolution.
15.4 In the event of dissolution, monies held in the accounts of BARLA for distribution evenly amongst the Member Leagues, shall be conditional upon:

All debts outstanding having been recovered at source and liabilities paid in full; and
liquidation of the premises and equipment therein owned by BARLA."

Member Leagues eh? Hmmmm

#11 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Let the Pennine League/Barla go their way if they wish. Let everyone else go the other to a hopefully brighter future.

I'll give it a season or two before the Pennine clubs realise they've be sold a dud and look for some safety elsewhere.

You've got it wrong mate, BARLA and Pennine ARL will evolve into the same thing - with the BARLA funds under their belt

#12 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

You've got it wrong mate, BARLA and Pennine ARL will evolve into the same thing - with the BARLA funds under their belt

That's what I'm getting at. Whatever they're up to. They're not daft. 2/3rds majority of mostly/all Pennine League teams to dissolve BARLA and they get to keep what's left. Turkeys voting for Christmas!? Maybe they'll bring back 15 aside and unlimited tackles as well?

Seriously though, by driving everyone else away they achieve aim of being the only ones at any future meeting and then benefit from it.

#13 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

That's what I'm getting at. Whatever they're up to. They're not daft. 2/3rds majority of mostly/all Pennine League teams to dissolve BARLA and they get to keep what's left. Turkeys voting for Christmas!? Maybe they'll bring back 15 aside and unlimited tackles as well?

Seriously though, by driving everyone else away they achieve aim of being the only ones at any future meeting and then benefit from it.

My thoughts are that two years ago when Pennine were rejected by BARLA to run the proposed winter conference division as an alternate to the NCL move to summer was when the Pennine bosses decided to make a move for BARLA.

The bag lady is just a front for the Pennine ARL string pullers

#14 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Sadly that's why there's unlikely to be any talking sense with them. BARLA would cease to exist as an independent body. The only way for it to rescued as a proper independent voice of the amateur game within the new structures is for all the other leagues to assume membership and change the direction.

Notable that the chair was the only one giving apologies at the last community board meeting.

#15 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

District leagues vote at Barla not teams and from what I hear on the jungle drums many of the white rose leagues are not happy with Mrs Taylor .

#16 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

District leagues vote at Barla not teams and from what I hear on the jungle drums many of the white rose leagues are not happy with Mrs Taylor .

That's about right Taxi, all district leagues are full members of BARLA and are eligible to vote although many of these voted without a mandate from their members which is the correct procedure. However playing leagues are also full members and eligible to vote but again there were some who voted without a mandate and these leagues' votes were manipulated by individuals.

The bag lady did her homework and used the ten district leagues within the Pennine ARL to gather momentum and was helped greatly by the outgoing chair who canvassed the old guard with a totally misguided message which swung the vote in her favour.

And your comment on some leagues' dissatisfaction is quite correct. Quite notably Hull ARL - who had their trousers well and truly pulled down by the outgoing chair - are far from happy by the new chair's performance, this feeling was reinforced with the no show of the bag lady at their showpiece BOCM final on Boxing Day. Interestingly a quote from the match programme read, "So far we have not seen or heard too much coming out of the BARLA offices, hopefully this will change very shortly, when and if a new administrator is taken on board." Not bad when considering a couple of the pre-election promises from the current chair were;

• Up to date information available to clubs via website/handbooks
  • Administration

Also in the far North West, the Cumbrians are also showing concern in the performance of the new chair, whose only interest thus far seems to be; forming a partnership between Pennine ARL and Yorkshire Youth ARL and introducing a winter conference type division in Pennine ARL.

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 27 December 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#17 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 709 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

For me BARLA or an alternative body has to be in place to represent the interests of the amateur game as a whole.

Sadly the current incumbents are no better, potentially worse even than the previous muppets who were only interested in themselves and utilising the large pot of money to fund pointless overseas tours that had little worth or meaning in the overall development of the amateur game within the sport.

The new regime have yet to clearly and publicly outline their vision moving forward for the sport at amateur level.

It is uninspiring and unsurprising that this is the case given the many rumours and facts surrounding the new BOM and the ludicrous and unprofessional press releases that have been circulated to the entire sport!!!

Worryingly past evidence suggests it will not improve, those that are involved have neither the credentials or capability to improve it and most of all some in very senior positions seem intent on feathering the nest of certain organisations/leagues closer to their own heart than the sport as a whole at amateur level.

Substance is lacking, vision is non existent, credentials and ability are relegation material and their agendas probably are not what is required to take amateur game forward now or in the future.

Edited by LordCharles, 27 December 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#18 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Agree with most of the points made in your post my Lord except on the Internationals where the goal posts have moved dramatically over the last twelve months, with BARLA Internationals operating as a completely independent organisation, raising their own revenue and not relying on BARLA funding. Which may I add has not been offered for the last twelve months or more.  

As you quite rightly point out, the new regime have yet to clearly and publicly outline their vision moving forward for the sport at amateur level but with the evidence at hand, it is clear that some people in very senior positions seem intent on feathering the nest of certain organisations/leagues closer to their own heart than the sport as a whole at amateur level.

On the development of the amateur game within the sport, on two separate occasions in board meetings the new chair dismissed without open discussion, the BARLA Foundation. This was an initiative that Messrs Prior and Fagge were keen to introduce which would mean that any BARLA member club would be given funding to introduce an under 7's/8's team.

The same chair failed to act when a former member league gave clear indication that they were poised to re-instate to full BARLA membership, whereas a couple of months later she was welcoming a potential partnership between Pennine ARL and Yorkshire Youth ARL and broadening its boundaries to include Lancashire. Is there any indication of intent in that message?

Yes, it is clearly uninspiring and sadly so unsurprising to read the ludicrous and unprofessional press releases that have been circulated to the entire sport and this from a so called Media Manager who does not even have the ability to post a photograph on the BARLA website. This is one of the muppets who have remained and unbelievably elevated into a senior position, but sadly still only interested in themselves.

Substance, credentials and ability are so sadly absent within an association that is demonstrating the vision of a short sighted cyclops, their agendas definitely are not what is required to take amateur game forward now or in the future.         

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 27 December 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#19 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

In the recent ill prepared press release, the Barla PR bod states " dates agreed with RFL to minimise distruption " yet one of the dates is on the actual opening date of the new season .
You call all draw your own conclusions from that statement , the Board also sent out the initial invite to the national cups without consulting with its own regional leagues Priceless .
Barla as lost its purpose for many of us and we have been left to look after ourselves on many key issues .
Communication apart from the national cup fiasco is none existent .
eg.

#20 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Agree with most of the points made in your post my Lord except on the Internationals where the goal posts have moved dramatically over the last twelve months, with BARLA Internationals operating as a completely independent organisation, raising their own revenue and not relying on BARLA funding. Which may I add has not been offered for the last twelve months or more.  

Perhaps Lord Charles is referring to the farcical BARLA Bulldogs over-35s jamboree to Dubai.

This is where, under the cover of the amateur "governing" body, a team of former professionals play a knockabout, alien version of rugby.

There is no merit to this exercise at any level to the amateur game.

However, if they need an ageing , overweight, pedestrian centre book me in come October.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users