Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Rams v Combined Giants and Dogs 13

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

All of us on here appreciate that the boxing day match is a start for the coaches.  A chance to look at the squad etc.  However the point I was making is that it is also a massive opporunity for both clubs to market the product to 1000 people who dont go the matches week in week out.  We failed in this.  Anyone who came and isnt as committed as us lot will not be coming again because the match was dull.  Im not suggesting Harlem Globetrotters, but neither team, but espececially the Rams, made any effort to play attractive football.  Such a waste on the back of a world cup where we saw so much attractive rugby that captured the publics attention. 

Being even more gloomy than ever I have  a feeling tnat this will carry on into our real games, despite Glenns promise to play attractive rugby and this is the first year I can remember where I havent bought a season ticket for me and the wife..... 

#62 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

All of us on here appreciate that the boxing day match is a start for the coaches.  A chance to look at the squad etc.  However the point I was making is that it is also a massive opporunity for both clubs to market the product to 1000 people who dont go the matches week in week out.  We failed in this.  Anyone who came and isnt as committed as us lot will not be coming again because the match was dull.  Im not suggesting Harlem Globetrotters, but neither team, but espececially the Rams, made any effort to play attractive football.  Such a waste on the back of a world cup where we saw so much attractive rugby that captured the publics attention. 
Being even more gloomy than ever I have  a feeling tnat this will carry on into our real games, despite Glenns promise to play attractive rugby and this is the first year I can remember where I havent bought a season ticket for me and the wife.....

Last Boxing Day we were outplayed by Batley. This year it could have gone either way. Think there is more to be optimistic this season than last. Best get those season tickets now.

#63 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

Last Boxing Day we were outplayed by Batley. This year it could have gone either way. Think there is more to be optimistic this season than last. Best get those season tickets now.

Optimistic that we might win a few or play rugby that is worth paying to see?  We all want a winning team, but surely we want to see our great game played with some panache?  As posted on here a million times before my favourite memories are of Eddie Rombo, Dennis Bailey, Marquis Charles and all the rugby we played under Norman Smith.  We won nowt, but it was a great ride.  Rugby is an entertainment industry and it has to compete against so many other leasure activities these days.

#64 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I spent part of last night watching the Dewsbury - Featherstone home match from last season. This was reckoned by many to have been one of our most exciting games last year. It was actually a very committed performance in atrocious conditions but still lacking in the excitement and panache that you crave Nick.

The fact of the matter is that the RL aficionados relish a different kind of game than the occasional fans (I don't include you in the latter).

For what it's worth I reckon that we will see some more expansive football from the team this year, mainly as we have better half backs, but that it won't start from game one.

I though we played some real rubbish at times under NS by the way, so there's no pleasing everyone.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#65 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

Last year Batley were a much better side anyway, but on BD they seemed to be largely made up of newcomers and Giants second string. We missed price and Aizue, but I think what we saw was pretty much GM's starting lineup, and although we now have a potentially exciting half back partnership, there doesn't look to be anybody with the pace to capitalise on their half breaks.

Optimistic that we might win a few or play rugby that is worth paying to see?  We all want a winning team, but surely we want to see our great game played with some panache?  As posted on here a million times before my favourite memories are of Eddie Rombo, Dennis Bailey, Marquis Charles and all the rugby we played under Norman Smith.  We won nowt, but it was a great ride.  Rugby is an entertainment industry and it has to compete against so many other leasure activities these days.

#66 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Bloody hell lads come on,I normally get disheartened round the half way stage of the season you lot are like that now & the season not started yet!! To be honest I think we'll go ok this season,but saying that I've been saying this for as long as I can remember!! But I agree with one post that we need a bit more fire power out wide.

#67 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

We all need more fire power on the outside. Have a look at how many forums are discussing the need for a 'strike' centre.
I really think far too much is read into the Boxing Day match. Yes we won comfortably last season but were a shambles the year before. Neither result had any influence on the following season.

#68 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

It was worth noting that Batley had five DR's playing whilst we had none. I don't know what the state of play is at Bradford at present but I thought that we were hopeful of getting a centre on board from there at some stage.

I also think we'll do OK but at present have no idea what we will be playing for.

:scratchhead:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#69 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

It was worth noting that Batley had five DR's playing whilst we had none. I don't know what the state of play is at Bradford at present but I thought that we were hopeful of getting a centre on board from there at some stage.

I also think we'll do OK but at present have no idea what we will be playing for.

:scratchhead:

Agree.  A decent centre is a must.  Scott Hale is a great assett, but not at centre.  I wouldnt be his winger for all the tea in China.. He needs to be in the pack where his hard work is much sought after.  What about asking Marquis Charles out of retirement?

#70 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Agree.  A decent centre is a must.  Scott Hale is a great assett, but not at centre.  I wouldnt be his winger for all the tea in China.. He needs to be in the pack where his hard work is much sought after.  What about asking Marquis Charles out of retirement?

How about my uncle Shaun lol (Shaun Wilkinson, remember him Batley fans?)
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#71 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Shaun the Sheep would be a more suitable signing for the Rams, I think, Kelsey.

I'll get my coat...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#72 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

A bit late responding I know, but here are my few comments on the Boxing Day match.
I brought along with me, a friend from the Deep South (well Dorset anyway) and he thoroughly enjoyed the game (as did I). He thought both sides played well with Batley just being the better team (he did say he found that difficult to say - he was a Dewsbury club member until his emigration after all).

For me, I enjoyed the battles in defence, but felt both sides lacked attacking ideas. I still believe that there were Batley players offside when the kick was made for their first try (even after seeing the game's highlights), but couldn't see a problem with ours!
Legs, Dews, Legs.