Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today's attendance

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

You lot were saying that you had that support on the day. And you've had a couple of winding up orders in recent seasons unless I've misread it in paper!!!

#22 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Nope, no one said we had that much support on the day! And yes, in the past we have had demands from the taxman, what's your point there then?

Edited by distantdog, 27 December 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#23 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I made that point when we got accused of fiddling the attendance. Anyway putting all that aside I think both clubs can have a productive season once the new players bed in.

#24 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

I would agree with you about the season ahead, and if both teams have relative success, it can only be to the benefit of the region as a whole. I might add though, that it is very easy to take the comments of one or two individuals on here as representative of the majority, which they clearly are not!

#25 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I'd like to think the chairmen of both clubs are of sufficient moral fibre not to stoop to any shenanigans when it comes to shared gates. I believe they also have a mutual respect which would discourage any underhand behaviour. Maybe I'm being naïve. but I'd be disappointed if that wasn't the case.

How many do you think went in through the open exit gate and paid cash to the steward?
SIGNATURE

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

How many do you think went in through the open exit gate and paid cash to the steward?

None. Why do you ask - is this normal practice at Batley?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

That and we made more noise on the clapometer that I always carry with me (got it cheap from huey Green)

What is it they say about empty vessels piggy ?

#28 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

i know of atleast 5 of my mates went through the exit gate and paid the steward

#29 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think where people are maybe getting confused about is that the area of the South Stand where the majority of the Batley fans were was fairly full - not crushed in as has happened before but good numbers.  However, looking at the video, it shows that the other end of the South Stand where the Rams fans usually stand was quite empty, presumably they having decided to stand behind the posts.  Therefore the numbers in the South Stand were undoubtedly far less than on previous occasions.

#30 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Wrong there my old bean. I saw plenty of people go through there. I know this as I was ushered through with the rest.
SIGNATURE

#31 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

Wrong there my old bean. I saw plenty of people go through there. I know this as I was ushered through with the rest.

Despite your protests no doubt?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#32 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Despite your protests no doubt?

Still paid full price.
SIGNATURE

#33 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

I must admit I saw it myself & I heard a steward say if you've got the right change you can come through here not happy,not saying anything untoward going on but I will be having a word with Mark Sawyer at next home game.

#34 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

I must admit I saw it myself & I heard a steward say if you've got the right change you can come through here not happy,not saying anything untoward going on but I will be having a word with Mark Sawyer at next home game.

If that was happening, I can't believe it was sanctioned by the club - I just can't see them risking prosecution by the inland revenue for what would be deemed tax evasion.

#35 phildog

phildog
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Clubs can't afford these days with such scrutiny to be 'on the fiddle', there are too many checks and balances along with the chance of criminal convictions etc. I would have said the figure was fairly accurate, definitely not over the 3,000 as suggested in other posts. Both clubs work together for the good of the Heavy Woollen area and have a good relationship, so doubt very much if one would fleece the other. With regards to who had the biggest support on the day, from the actual team shirts on display it would certainly appear that Batley did have the upper hand, and certainly there was more noise from them, and yes I would agree with the comments from Rams fans that it's a shame they only turn out for the Christmas booze up game. However, look at it sensibly; let's assume the crowd was split 50/50, that's almost 1,200 each. How come then that average home crowds for both clubs (including any travelling fans) is around 750/850? That means that BOTH clubs are suffering week in week out from the Boxing day totals, so Rams fans who were a little derogatory about fickle Batley fans should also look at their own doorstep. As someone else (other than me) has said, 2 strong teams around here can only be good for the game.

#36 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,755 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

If that was happening, I can't believe it was sanctioned by the club - I just can't see them risking prosecution by the inland revenue for what would be deemed tax evasion.

Is it an offence to let people in through an exit gate ? 

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#37 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Is it an offence to let people in through an exit gate ? 

If it goes in a pot to evade the taxman, then it probably is, but who is bothered.

#38 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Clubs can't afford these days with such scrutiny to be 'on the fiddle', there are too many checks and balances along with the chance of criminal convictions etc. I would have said the figure was fairly accurate, definitely not over the 3,000 as suggested in other posts. Both clubs work together for the good of the Heavy Woollen area and have a good relationship, so doubt very much if one would fleece the other. With regards to who had the biggest support on the day, from the actual team shirts on display it would certainly appear that Batley did have the upper hand, and certainly there was more noise from them, and yes I would agree with the comments from Rams fans that it's a shame they only turn out for the Christmas booze up game. However, look at it sensibly; let's assume the crowd was split 50/50, that's almost 1,200 each. How come then that average home crowds for both clubs (including any travelling fans) is around 750/850? That means that BOTH clubs are suffering week in week out from the Boxing day totals, so Rams fans who were a little derogatory about fickle Batley fans should also look at their own doorstep. As someone else (other than me) has said, 2 strong teams around here can only be good for the game.

I don't think it simply splits that way. In the absence of many other RL games I reckon there are a significant number of neutral supporters of other clubs (SL and other) who turn up for Boxing day games. Additionally look at the size of the gates for soccer games on Boxing Day - all notably higher than their general average: BD is a popular day for casual supporters to go and see a game without necessarily following one side or the other.

The obvious comparison is between this gate and that for the corresponding league fixture (1150 last season) and that really gives an indication of the levels of "loyal support" for both clubs. In other words neither of us can really crow about the volume of support that we command at present, I'm sad to say. If Batley prove me wrong by averaging 1500 this next season then I will gladly doff my cap in acknowledgement.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#39 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

If it goes in a pot to evade the taxman, then it probably is, but who is bothered.

And if it is handed to the regular gatemen it will be accounted for as normal. There were exceptional circumstances, causing the kick off to be delayed, which might explain why this happened in this case.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#40 Deputy Dog

Deputy Dog
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

To be fair, I saw people hand money to the "bouncer" on the gate and he handed it to the lass on the turnstile as I went through. However the turnstile wasn't operated so whether it was counted toward the crowd figure I cannot say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users