celtic combined team

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

just been reading league express at work....

i see my idea for a celtic team (celtic tigers) is gathering momentum :)

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#2 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

It's an excellent one. I know it won't happen but it would be great if they could get the NRLers across mid year but even without them it'll be a good game. Small steps but very significant ones towards planting deep roots in the home nations.

#3 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

just been reading league express at work....

i see my idea for a celtic team (celtic tigers) is gathering momentum :)

Were any of the celtic nations ever natural habitat for tigers? If there was a Family Fortunes style survey on things one would associate with the Celts, I'm not sure tigers would ever be one of them...

#4 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Why Tigers though?
Posted Image

#5 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

I wouldn't want wales to dilute what they are developing in terms of a genuinely welsh team to make up for a lack of progress in Scotland and Ireland. And for what: a bunch of plastics masquerading in a team on a nonsense basis which doesn't exist in any other sport. The whole Celtic identity is overstated and ive never seen any desire in Wales at least for a sporting manifestation of something so vague and irrelevant. Wales need a better organised international schedule more than anything else.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#6 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Spot on jannerboy

#7 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

I suggested this idea around a year ago even named the squad except I called them the tribes. It may be better looking at England v Europe though , with French players included to give them a better squad . 

Chief Crazy Eagle

#8 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

I wouldn't want wales to dilute what they are developing in terms of a genuinely welsh team to make up for a lack of progress in Scotland and Ireland. And for what: a bunch of plastics masquerading in a team on a nonsense basis which doesn't exist in any other sport. The whole Celtic identity is overstated and ive never seen any desire in Wales at least for a sporting manifestation of something so vague and irrelevant. Wales need a better organised international schedule more than anything else.

I agree. I'd rather see a mid-season home/Euro nations comp than a contrived Celtic Nations type thing. If the powers that be are committed to splitting GB into home nations then surely they should have courage in their convictions and schedule a full calendar for the home nations?

The tricky part is creating meaningful competition that spectators want to watch and players want to play in. The RLIF has to rapidly create some sort of meaningful schedule. This could possibly include World Cup qualifiers (which could instantly provide meaning to a Euro nations tournament) and maybe some expanded 4 Nations type tournament(s).

The Celtic Nations would just be another contrived idea like the Exiles which ultimately doesn't help to expand the international calendar.

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Why Tigers though?

its only a bloody name lol....i picked it for no other reason than it rolls off the tongue...

you can imagine the celtic kit would be red,blue & green hoops? and the "celtic tiger" mascot would have the same red blue,green markings...its gives the a identity....and one seperate from "the lions"

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#10 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

you can imagine the celtic kit would be red,blue & green hoops?

:bad:

#11 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

its only a bloody name lol....i picked it for no other reason than it rolls off the tongue...

you can imagine the celtic kit would be red,blue & green hoops? and the "celtic tiger" mascot would have the same red blue,green markings...its gives the a identity....and one seperate from "the lions"

Attached File  image.jpg   85.2KB   6 downloads

Shirt already exists!

As for the concept no. Not ever. The World Cup shows us what works and what the paying public work.

France and Wales weren't brilliant but the games in those countries were supported. A little patience without changing the season after because a team got beat heavily and we could see a lot of progress.

With Scotland, Ireland , Italy and one from Lebanon, Russia or Serbia you could even have a concept like the World Cup with the 2nd League producing a semi finalist for the knock out stage of a comp.

No more made up teams please. RL has suffered enough from them. By maintaining that it allows other sports to point and argue we don't have an international game.

Their existence is an excuse not to spend money on countries clearly wanting to develop.

Edited by The 4 of Us, 28 December 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#12 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Why? I would hate to see genuine Welsh players left out for a bunch of Aussies pretending to be 'celts'. I can't see why England can't play against Wales and France rather than made up teams. Yes, we may beat them regularly, but then so do the Aussies and we don't hear them saying England shouldn't play them. 

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

If you're going to fly people around the globe to play in multi-national teams such as the 'Celts' or Pacific Islands then you may as well get them playing for their national teams. If there ever was a role for these type of teams then I feel that the time has passed - people want to see what rhey saw in the world cup

I tend to agree with the argument for no more contrived teams - and that includes GB!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

I tend to agree with the argument for no more contrived teams - and that includes GB!

I still think GB can serve a purpose, but only as a smaller part of a comprehensive schedule that involves considerable games for all home nations.

Trying to empathise from a player's perspective, if I was from one of the smaller home nations but was also eligible for England, what would make me stick with my home nation (or even adopted nation)?

1) World Cups - as we've seen this year, every man and his dog want to be a part of a fantastic tournament. The lure of this comp prompted the likes of Danny Brough and Rhys Evans to return to Scotland and Wales after previously committing to England. The problem is that they only happen every 4 years, so the intervening years sees the smaller nations revert back to a lesser playing strength.

2) Four Nations - we've seen the likes of Lee Briers come out of retirement to have one last crack on the international stage, and also saw a full house watch Wales narrowly beat France to qualify for the 4N. So this obviously is a decent carrot for players. The problem with the 4N is that only one of the smaller nations gets a look in, so it is a big gamble for dual-eligible players to put all their eggs in the basket of the likes of Fiji or Wales, as opposed to opting for Australia or England (who offer more high-profile games and a better player development system). Perhaps there is scope for expanding the 4N to a 6 or 8 team tournament with two groups and semis and a final? At least this would offer more of the minnows an opportunity, and perhaps would encourage more players who were waivering with their allegiances as they would have more chance of getting a crack at one of the big boys on the big stage.

3) GB tour - this is where I think GB could play a very important role (although I have been slated on here for this view many a time before...). A home nations tournament during the preceding Summer would be an excellent opportunity to act as a selection tool for the GB tour, and I could imagine that home nations players would welcome the opportunity to put themselves in the shop window. IMO this would help to provide a competitive edge to a home nations tourney and make the games much more attractive.

One thing that definitely will not inspire players and encourage them to play internationals is meaningless games against other minnows that have nothing riding on them. Coming up with a structured and meaningful international calendar is a must. Given that it is such a short career, you can't blame the likes of Rhys Evans opting for England. The challenge is to provide a sufficiently attractive international career from representing the smaller nations so that players aren't forced to opt to play for the big guns to achieve their ambitions.

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

I would have thought that playing in a combined team which was genuinely competitive against England is exactly what the Welsh players need and they will not get one until they find some half backs and a hooker. The crowds for and the performances by the Welsh were generally disappointing at the World Cup, so a Celtic combined team with better halves would for now give those Welsh players much exposure against a better level of opponent and potentially give England a competitive game against players who, in the case of the Welsh, are genuine products of a development system.
That said, if the Welsh RL people have a better idea, then we should go with that. They're the ones who are putting the hard yards in against all the odds.

#16 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'd have thunk they'd like to play for their country. No?

#17 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Absolute nonesense!

England vs any individual country away!

Two others play on same weekend!

Anything else is a joke!

#18 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Exiles should include the celts and French - certainly be competitive

#19 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

I'd have thunk they'd like to play for their country. No?

I'm sure they'd like to play for their country in a competitive match in front of a big crowd. Unless they play France away that isn't going to happen though. We all want them to become competitive against England. Which is more likely to help their development - getting thrashed by England, or taking advantage of the higher quality team they could field if they borrowed a few Scots, to give their core of good players proper competition until such time as they have their own strong spine.
I genuinely have no strong feelings on the subject, but would be more interested in seeing a Wales plus guests team (I'd prefer Wales Barbarians) than England - Wales.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 28 December 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#20 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

This would be a good fixture for Lions selection, but we ought to be also having regular home internationals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users