Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

celtic combined team

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#181 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

just get the celtic team ratified as a test nation...it has just as much right as that other made up team GB....

Great Britain actually exists. It was only ever the "...and Ireland" that was stupid. No "Celtic-land" exists or has ever existed. There are only a handful of Celts on here but none of them seem remotely interested.

#182 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

The NRL All Stars game seemed fairly popular and that didn't have a "nation" involved.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here!
Posted Image

#183 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

The NRL All Stars game seemed fairly popular and that didn't have a "nation" involved.

Posted Image

#184 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,959 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Is that treated as anything other than a bit of fun though?

The Aussies already have their bash v NZ plus Origin for real rep football.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#185 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

Is rugby league in eastern Australia in any way comparable to rugby league in Wales / Scotland / Ireland?

RL struggles for credibility in those countries and this just wouldn't help.

#186 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

So there we go again with that negative defeatist attitude, so we we lie down and roll over and say that RU is better and pays better.!!! Well I am sorry i dont accept that , Is that what our hard working coaches  that are bringing through u12s ,15s 16s u18s are now to tell our youngsters, that all their hard work is for nothing. well if thats what u teach then no wonder u win nothing. I am sure a Celtic team would not have that outlook

To be fair, if you don't like negative, defeatist attitudes then you have probably chosen the wrong forum. In fact, you've probably chosen the wrong sport!

Seriously, as a supporter of rugby league in Wales, would you like to see a Celtic Nations representive team play occasional fixtures in addition to the regular fixtures for Wales?

I wasn't that enthusiatic - I'd rather see individual nations play regular fixtures rather than combined teams such as Celtic Nations or GB - but Martyn Sadler makes some good points (as does our friend from Oldham, to be fair). One downside is that the RFL don't tend to stick with these sorts of initiatives.

Edited by Methven Hornet, 09 January 2014 - 09:49 PM.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#187 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I have also heard a rumour that the Welsh players were actually born in wales....fancy that!

Eight in the world cup, I believe.

#188 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

Do we have any Irish, Welsh of Scots on the board who are in favour of this idea?

If not, let us consider it unpopular.

There seem to be very few. Some did make an appearance during the world cup, but they don't seem to have stuck around - can't think why....

And are you seriously saying suggesting a poll on here is sufficient as a market research exercise. Not very scientific ;)

#189 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

[

Edited by Methven Hornet, 09 January 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#190 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

1( There seem to be very few. Some did make an appearance during the world cup, but they don't seem to have stuck around - can't think why....

And are you seriously saying suggesting a poll on here is sufficient as a market research exercise. Not very scientific ;)

1) It's the off season, not much to talk about.

2) It's more than anyone else has done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users