Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 Squads

Super League

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Looking ahead at 2014 the most surprising squad for me is Warrington, I think they will struggle to make the top 4.

It lacks depth and is going to be heavily reliant on the creativity of two players in particular that are injury prone in Ratchford and Myler.

I'm not over enthused by the starting 1 - 5 either!

On paper the strongest four squads by far are Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield and St Helens.

Salford have the potential to be a real thorn in the side of any team this season, but they also have the potential to implode at any given point!!!!

Top 4 for me will be Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield, St. Helens in that order.

Edited by LordCharles, 29 December 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#22 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Widnes

1. Rhys Hanbury

2. Jack Owens

3. Cameron Phelps

4. Stefan Marsh

5. Patrick Ah Van

6. Kevin Brown

7. Joe Mellor

8. Eamon O'Carroll

9. Jon Clarke

10. Ben Kavanagh

11. Dave Allen

12. Danny Tickle

13. Hep Cahill

14. Chris Dean

15. Lloyd White

16. Willie Isa

17. Danny Galea

18. Paul Johnson

19. Adam Lawton

20. Paddy Flynn

21. Danny Craven

22. Liam Carberry

23. Phil Joseph

24. Magraff Leuluai

25. Alex Gerrard

26. Steve Pickersgill

27. Tom Gilmore

28. Grant Gore

29. Declan Hulme

30. Kieran Butterworth

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

Looking ahead at 2014 the most surprising squad for me is Warrington, I think they will struggle to make the top 4.

It lacks depth and is going to be heavily reliant on the creativity of two players in particular that are injury prone in Ratchford and Myler.

I'm not over enthused by the starting 1 - 5 either!

Depends on the way you spin it.

Ratchford played 32 games last year he isnt injury prone. Myler had some injuries but is very good.

At 1 we have Russell one of the standouts of RLWC and he is replacing an injury prone 35 year old.

Our three quarters are settled and have consistently delivered and often been part of yhe best attack in SL. Not sure why anybody would question J Monaghan.

#24 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Depends on the way you spin it.
Ratchford played 32 games last year he isnt injury prone. Myler had some injuries but is very good.
At 1 we have Russell one of the standouts of RLWC and he is replacing an injury prone 35 year old.
Our three quarters are settled and have consistently delivered and often been part of yhe best attack in SL. Not sure why anybody would question J Monaghan.

Wire - Russell, Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Monaghan

Russell did well in the World Cup but mostly played against lesser opposition and certainly showed off some areas of his game that he needs to improve as well as some very good attributes.

Are Riley and Bridge a good enough pairing to really worry that many defences or worry too many attacking sides...........I don't think they are. Atkins and Monaghan though are a very solid top class pairing.

Compare it to the best 1-5 on paper and you can see a big difference in my opinion.

That 1-5 being Leeds..............

Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall

Top top top class from 1-5

Wigan's only worry for me is Gelling if they play him at 5 as his squad number suggests they might.

Bowen, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Gelling

Not as good as Leeds but plenty of ability and for me in front of Wire's first choice 1-5.

Huddersfield are solid in Grix, McGilvray, Cudjoe, Wardle and Murphy and possess real strike with Cudjoe and Wardle, with the latter one to watch I think in 2014.

Saints possibly have the most youthful 1-5 and the most underrated back in SL in Tommy Makinson.

Lomax, Makinson, Turner, Jones and Swift all have tries in them and this season will have a much stronger pack to play behind as well as a proper halfback pairing, so I expect them to show more improvement than any other team.

So there you go on paper at 1-5 Wire I feel have a bit of catching up to do and outside of their top 17 lack real depth.

That said games are not played on paper but it could be a long season for Wire in my opinion and I'll stick my neck out and say they won't make top 4!!!

Edited by LordCharles, 30 December 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Wire - Russell, Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Monaghan

Russell did well in the World Cup but mostly played against lesser opposition and certainly showed off some areas of his game that he needs to improve as well as some very good attributes.

Are Riley and Bridge a good enough pairing to really worry that many defences or worry too many attacking sides...........I don't think they are. Atkins and Monaghan though are a very solid top class pairing.

Compare it to the best 1-5 on paper and you can see a big difference in my opinion.

That 1-5 being Leeds..............

Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall

Top top top class from 1-5

Wigan's only worry for me is Gelling if they play him at 5 as his squad number suggests they might.

Bowen, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Gelling

Not as good as Leeds but plenty of ability and for me in front of Wire's first choice 1-5.

Huddersfield are solid in Grix, McGilvray, Cudjoe, Wardle and Murphy and possess real strike with Cudjoe and Wardle, with the latter one to watch I think in 2014.

Saints possibly have the most youthful 1-5 and the most underrated back in SL in Tommy Makinson.

Lomax, Makinson, Turner, Jones and Swift all have tries in them and this season will have a much stronger pack to play behind as well as a proper halfback pairing, so I expect them to show more improvement than any other team.

So there you go on paper at 1-5 Wire I feel have a bit of catching up to do and outside of their top 17 lack real depth.

That said games are not played on paper but it could be a long season for Wire in my opinion and I'll stick my neck out and say they won't make top 4!!!

Fair enough, valid enough reasons mate, not that I agree.

On your points about our three-quarters - the four in question have returned:

63 tries in 2013

74 tries in 2012

67 tries in 2011

So yes, I think they will worry plenty of defences.

Our main issue imho is if Ratchford can make that number 6 spot his own and control the team like Briers used to.

#26 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Fair enough, valid enough reasons mate, not that I agree.

On your points about our three-quarters - the four in question have returned:

63 tries in 2013
74 tries in 2012
67 tries in 2011

So yes, I think they will worry plenty of defences.

Our main issue imho is if Ratchford can make that number 6 spot his own and control the team like Briers used to.

That will be a big factor for Wire this year...........

Is the responsibility on Ratchford and Myler to create and provide opportunities for the team in the big games going to be to much for them to handle?

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

That will be a big factor for Wire this year...........

Is the responsibility on Ratchford and Myler to create and provide opportunities for the team in the big games going to be to much for them to handle?

Will be interesting to watch.

One thing that did happen plenty last year was we had to rotate our key positions. Our 1, 6 and 7 were:

Ratchford, Briers, Grix 

Ratchford, Briers, Myler

Hodgson, Briers, Myler

Hodgson, Briers, Ratchford

Hodgson, Ratchford, Monaghan

Hodgson, Ratchford, Myler

and so on, and whilst we weren't brilliant, we didn't go too badly.

#28 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Whilst Hodgson was on his last legs so to speak he was a superb organiser and had a wealth of experience, which was exactly the same with Briers............to lose both, particularly Briers might take a season and the addition of an experienced half to overcome for Wire.

#29 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

By the end of the year, I expect Wigan's starting 13 to be:
Bowen - Josh - Goulding - Thornley - Burgess - Hampshire - Smith
Taylor - McIllorum - Flower - Bateman - Farrell - Lockers

With a shadow 13 of
Sarginson - Manfredi - Gellng - Lloyd - Tierney - Green - Powell
Crosby - Tomkins - Dudson - Hughes - Pettybourne - Burke

And further opportunities for
Clubb - Greenwood - Powell - Williams - Hopkins - Lauaki (?)

Overall, once Hampshire and Bateman have settled in, we'll be stronger for the development of the young players and the additional strength in depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few from the shadow 13 really develop into class acts. Not sure where Clubb and Hopkins will play, prop perhaps?

As a Wigan fan, I am really looking forward to seeing how the forwards I've highlighted in bold will go this year.

There are others of interest (Clubb, Lauaki, Dudson, even Flower) and, to a lesser extent, Powell - who I don't think will make the squad regularly - but these are a bit more of a known force, whereas the ones in bold are by and large young or are new to Super League and I'm curious to see if any of them can become world class. I know Bateman has already been Rookie of the Year but let's see if he can back it up and become a SL force.

Mike

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Whilst Hodgson was on his last legs so to speak he was a superb organiser and had a wealth of experience, which was exactly the same with Briers............to lose both, particularly Briers might take a season and the addition of an experienced half to overcome for Wire.

I think Ratchford is 25 and Myler is 24 so basically now is their time to shine rather than bringing in somebody new. IMHO Myler is more than good enough, and the development of Grix in recent years will hopefully have him as a third pivot at 13 as I'm not convinced Russell is a pivot at 1 in the same way Hodgson was.

#31 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Personally I think this is where Wigan's strength will be in 2014.............their recruitment.

Sarginson, Clubb, Pettybourne, Bateman and Bowen are very good additions to an already strong and established squad.

The only two areas that are of concern would be who will be first choice on the left wing and goal kicking, as replacing somebody of the calibre of Pat Richards when it comes to kicking is virtually impossible and he has single handedly dug them out of a hole or two over the past few seasons with his boot.

#32 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

I think Ratchford is 25 and Myler is 24 so basically now is their time to shine rather than bringing in somebody new. IMHO Myler is more than good enough, and the development of Grix in recent years will hopefully have him as a third pivot at 13 as I'm not convinced Russell is a pivot at 1 in the same way Hodgson was.

Where do you see Gareth obrian in the equation. Surely his chance is now?

#33 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

By the end of the year, I expect Wigan's starting 13 to be:
Bowen - Josh - Goulding - Thornley - Burgess - Hampshire - Smith
Taylor - McIllorum - Flower - Bateman - Farrell - Lockers

With a shadow 13 of
Sarginson - Manfredi - Gellng - Lloyd - Tierney - Green - Powell
Crosby - Tomkins - Dudson - Hughes - Pettybourne - Burke

And further opportunities for
Clubb - Greenwood - Powell - Williams - Hopkins - Lauaki (?)

Overall, once Hampshire and Bateman have settled in, we'll be stronger for the development of the young players and the additional strength in depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few from the shadow 13 really develop into class acts. Not sure where Clubb and Hopkins will play, prop perhaps?

I can't honestly see Green being pushed out of the stand-off role by any of the youngsters next season.

I also think we will see a lot more of Pettybourne at prop than you might expect.

#34 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Has Wigan even got a reliable kicker in the squad?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#35 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Neither Richards nor Botica were "regular" kickers prior to taking in the role, so we have shown it's a skill that can be taught/learnt. Hampshire is the best kicker, but the word on the street is that Smith is likely to be handed the opportunity.

#36 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

I think it's a long time since i saw such a competitive looking set up,  I am really looking forward to the coming season, It has the potential to be a real cracker.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Where do you see Gareth obrian in the equation. Surely his chance is now?

Id expect to see a fair bit of him if Ratchford has to cover 1 or 3 or O'B will cover for the halves when injured.

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Personally I think this is where Wigan's strength will be in 2014.............their recruitment.

Sarginson, Clubb, Pettybourne, Bateman and Bowen are very good additions to an already strong and established squad.

The only two areas that are of concern would be who will be first choice on the left wing and goal kicking, as replacing somebody of the calibre of Pat Richards when it comes to kicking is virtually impossible and he has single handedly dug them out of a hole or two over the past few seasons with his boot.

whilst they are good signings, they had to replace real quality in Tomkins, Richards, Mossop and Hansen.

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Neither Richards nor Botica were "regular" kickers prior to taking in the role, so we have shown it's a skill that can be taught/learnt. Hampshire is the best kicker, but the word on the street is that Smith is likely to be handed the opportunity.

The more kickers, the better. I hate to see a team's ability to kick points completely vanish when just one player is unavailable for whatever reason. It implies a lack of foresight and preparation.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#40 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

looked over comments and believe Wire will have a better pack than last year and bigger. Hill, asotasi, wood, England, westwood, waterhouse, currie, grix plus backup from Harrison,riley,evans,bridge and a couple of youngsters. 2 established halves with Obrien as cover and now pace as an option in the backs. out of the movers from last year Briers will be missed on the field but he missed a lot of games so we are used to not having him for lots of matches, Wigan have good squad in depth and will be organised, giants look as good,

Saints and Leeds will be there but I see catalan and Salford causing problems but not consistent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users