Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 Squads

Super League

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

whilst they are good signings, they had to replace real quality in Tomkins, Richards, Mossop and Hansen.

We have 4 out of 5 of the spine of the team going round again.
We shall see how much we miss the others, but a fit Bowen can contribute as much as Sam last year, and if we can develop a good kicker we needn't lose any sleep over Richards. Sadly, he was never the same after his Achilles. We have far more attacking options in the second row. We could miss Mossop, as we haven't signed a like for like. Be fascinating to see how Wane intends to cover this. Having seen us perform in the knock out games last year, I can't wait to see how this squad goes this time around.

#42 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

We shall see how much we miss the others, but a fit Bowen can contribute as much as Sam last year, and if we can develop a good kicker we needn't lose any sleep over Richards. Sadly, he was never the same after his Achilles. We have far more attacking options in the second row. We could miss Mossop, as we haven't signed a like for like. Be fascinating to see how Wane intends to cover this. Having seen us perform in the knock out games last year, I can't wait to see how this squad goes this time around.

Pettybourne covers Mossop, and will probably be a bit more dynamic than he was, without losing any of the toughness.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Yes, I think that's a real bonus for Wigan, my point was really that through their recruitment they are probably not going to step up a gear, more protect against what they have lost.

#44 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yes, I think that's a real bonus for Wigan, my point was really that through their recruitment they are probably not going to step up a gear, more protect against what they have lost.

I can't think of any team, Salford apart, whose recruitment for next season represents a massive leap in quality on their 2013 squad.

As was pointed out earlier, Saints will have an actual half-back, but still have a ###### coach. Wire have lost a lot with the retirement of Briers, Hodgson, and the sale of Morley, without making any stellar signings to replace them. Leeds will be essentially the same team, but another year older.

It's about time clubs started relying on the youngsters they bring through, and I hope that we are now starting to see that happen.

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

I can't think of any team, Salford apart, whose recruitment for next season represents a massive leap in quality on their 2013 squad.

As was pointed out earlier, Saints will have an actual half-back, but still have a ###### coach. Wire have lost a lot with the retirement of Briers, Hodgson, and the sale of Morley, without making any stellar signings to replace them. Leeds will be essentially the same team, but another year older.

It's about time clubs started relying on the youngsters they bring through, and I hope that we are now starting to see that happen.

yep would agree with that - best that clubs fill their squads from below.

#46 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

theres some good young uns ready to step up at leeds  . would guess 2015 will be the big leap of faith in new blood by leeds

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#47 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

theres some good young uns ready to step up at leeds . would guess 2015 will be the big leap of faith in new blood by leeds

Leeds 1-5 in Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon and Hall is possibly the best, most exciting and potent back line I can recall in the last 6-8 years, certainly since the St Helens back line of the early 2000's.

McGuire and Burrow at 6 and 7 is tried and tested.

Aiton is a great signing at 9 and is possibly what Leeds have been missing.

The pack is solid and full of both youth and experience and top top it all of Sir Kevin is at 13.........enough said, I think!

Edited by LordCharles, 30 December 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#48 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Leeds 1-5 in Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon and Hall is possibly the best, most exciting and potent back line I can recall in the last 6-8 years, certainly since the St Helens back line of the early 2000's.
McGuire and Burrow at 6 and 7 is tried and tested.
Aiton is a great signing at 9 and is possibly what Leeds have been missing.
The pack is solid and full of both youth and experience and top top it all of Sir Kevin is at 13.........enough said, I think!

Yep, I have to completely agree with everything you've said!

A solid 5th place for Leeds

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

On paper I think man for man we at Bradford have done just about better, it's perked my interest anyway. However many actually stay until February at least is a question that remains!

And as for the young lads, we do try, but we keep selling them!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

As for the thread, by my watch only Bradford, Catalan and London haven't officially announced their 2014 squad numbers so far, some for obvious reasons...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#51 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

As for the thread, by my watch only Bradford, Catalan and London haven't officially announced their 2014 squad numbers so far, some for obvious reasons...

O'Brien 9. Let's hope so, anyway.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#52 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

We don't look too bad on the face of it - confidence and attitude will be the big factors for us though.  I think given the circumstances FC has put a competitive squad together, and is an improvement on recent seasons.  It's not his fault that we've had to let Bateman and Whitehead go.  I think Curtis Naughton would have played quite a few games as well had he stayed.  The problem, as in many recent seasons will be depth, there just isn't any of note beyond the obvious.

Potential run on...

1. Kearney

2. Kear

3. Blythe

4. Henry

5. Foster

6. Sammut

7. Gale

8. Scruton

9. Diskin

10. Manuokafoa

11. Olbison

12. Ferguson

13. Addy

O'Brien

Sidlow

Carvell

Donaldson

Cover

Purtell

Gaskell

Walker

George

Roberts

Wood

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#53 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Looks like only Huddersfield are running a feeder team this year.

:tongue:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#54 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Where Wigan are concerned I can't see younger players ousting Green from 6 although the club has an abundance of halves.
Green/Smith first team, Sarginson/Powell played halves for the Knights, Hampshire/Williams are EnglandU19s halves.
Pettybourne to replace Mossop I'd imagine, also Clubb to replace Hansen as a right sided 2nd row. Burgess is my bet to replace Richards at 5 long term. If he does then Wigan have blistering pace at 1,2 & 5.

As has been said, goal kicker is an important job now Richards has gone. Smith is fav with Charnley behind, also I think Bowen used to be goalkicker for NQC prior to Thurston taking over the job.

#55 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Catalans have now announced their 2014 squad. Changes from last year Escare (for Cardace) and Whitehead (for Larroyer) listed along with three new antipodeans Oldfield, Pomeroy and Lima. Taia takes Menzies 11, Oldfield takes 5 Blanch and Lima takes 10 Casty. Frayssinous has 35 training including the apprentices. Presentation evening this year is at St Esteve Tuesday 21st January organised by the penyas (supporters clubs). A bus is taking I think a crowd from the Carcassonne branch.

1 : Brent Webb
2 : Morgan Escaré
3 : Leon Pryce
4 : Ben Pomeroy
5 : Michael Oldfield
6 : Thomas Bosc
7 : Scott Dureau
8 : Olivier Elima
9 : Ian Henderson
10 : Jeff Lima
11 : Zeb Taia
12 : Louis Anderson
13 : Greg Mounis
14 : William Barthau
15 : Antoni Maria
16 : Eloi Pelissier
17 : Elliott Whitehead
18 : Daryl Millard
19 : Mathias Pala
20 : Michael Simon
21 : Julian Bousquet
22 : Jamal Fakir
23 : Lopini Paea
24 : Jason Baitieri
25 : Vincent Duport

Good to see for the first time French staff taking over the training & fitness work with the tandem Fred Marcerou & Benoit Albert following Australian Adam Trypas's move to Munster.

Edited by audois, 10 January 2014 - 02:47 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#56 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Wakefield Trinity - UPDATED
1. Richard MATHERS
2. Peter FOX
3. Dean COLLIS
4. Lee SMITH
5. Reece LYNE
6. Paul SYKES
7. Pita GODINET
8. Scott ANDERSON
9. Paul McSHANE
10. Andy RALEIGH
11. Ali LAUITIITI
12. Danny KIRMOND
13. Danny WASHBROOK
14. Matty WILDIE
15. Matt RYAN
16. Richard MOORE
17. Taulima TAUTAI
18. Kyle TROUT
19. Jimmy KEINHOURST
20. Jack BRISCOE
21. Chris ANNAKIN
22. Lucas WALSHAW
23. Daniel SMITH
24. Jordan CROWTHER
25. Max JOWITT
26. Jon MOLLOY
27. Ben SHULVER

Still two signings to be made which are expected to be a half back and a front rower

Not looking bad at the moment

#57 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

6 : Thomas Bosc

According to Wikipedia (trusted font of knowledge), he's signed for Saints...

Bosc has signed to play for St.Helens on a 2 year deal. Although Bosc was off contract in 2013, Lance Hohaia has agreed to move to Catalans for the last two years of his four year contract with St.Helens. Bosc has also agreed to star in Panto with Dynamo, Magician Impossible, where he will magically morph himself into a Lance Hodeho clone for his contract with Saints. Rumour has it he's the new Doctor Who, too, and the bloke the BBC hired will be going to French telly to star in Le Médecin Qui.

Edited by brooza, 14 January 2014 - 12:11 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#58 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

London Broncos (not squad numbers)

1. Saeed Agboke
  2. Mike Bishay
  3. Mason Caton-Brown
  4. Matt Cook
  5. Kieran Dixon
  6. Erjon Dollapi
  7. James Duckworth
  8. Alex Foster
  9. George Griffin
  10. Olsi Krasniqi
  11. Will Lovell
  12. Iliess Macani
  13. Nesiasi Mataitonga
  14. Mike McMeeken
  15. Thomas Minns
  16. Scott Moore
  17. Ben Ross
  18. Denny Solomona
  19. Joel Wicks
  20. James Woodburn Hall

Rammo saying he's heard it's currently "over 20"

Edited by brooza, 20 January 2014 - 02:02 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#59 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

We don't look too bad on the face of it - confidence and attitude will be the big factors for us though.  I think given the circumstances FC has put a competitive squad together, and is an improvement on recent seasons.  It's not his fault that we've had to let Bateman and Whitehead go.  I think Curtis Naughton would have played quite a few games as well had he stayed.  The problem, as in many recent seasons will be depth, there just isn't any of note beyond the obvious.

Potential run on...

1. Kearney
2. Kear
3. Blythe
4. Henry
5. Foster
6. Sammut
7. Gale
8. Scruton
9. Diskin
10. Manuokafoa
11. Olbison
12. Ferguson
13. Addy

O'Brien
Sidlow
Carvell
Donaldson

Cover
Purtell
Gaskell
Walker
George
Roberts
Wood

Don't want to sound negative but how many of these will actually kick off the season for the bulls ? have heard all sorts of rumours about Carvell Sammut and even Gale.

#60 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

London Broncos (not squad numbers)

• Saeed Agboke
  • Mike Bishay
  • Mason Caton-Brown
  • Matt Cook
  • Kieran Dixon
  • Erjon Dollapi