Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2014 Squads

Super League

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

ben ross claims he hasn't signed n wont be either

Good. You'd think London would've learned their lesson about signing Aussies that are finished.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#62 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

So, London have announced the signing of an Aussie who really is finished.

I guess it saves time.

#63 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Looking ahead at 2014 the most surprising squad for me is Warrington, I think they will struggle to make the top 4.

It lacks depth and is going to be heavily reliant on the creativity of two players in particular that are injury prone in Ratchford and Myler.

I'm not over enthused by the starting 1 - 5 either!

On paper the strongest four squads by far are Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield and St Helens.

Salford have the potential to be a real thorn in the side of any team this season, but they also have the potential to implode at any given point!!!!

Top 4 for me will be Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield, St. Helens in that order.

Wire might only be 40 minutes in to their 2014 campaign but there are definitely some worrying signs for 2014.

#64 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

LordCharles, on 30 Dec 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:snapback.png

Wire - Russell, Riley, Bridge, Atkins, Monaghan

Russell did well in the World Cup but mostly played against lesser opposition and certainly showed off some areas of his game that he needs to improve as well as some very good attributes.

Are Riley and Bridge a good enough pairing to really worry that many defences or worry too many attacking sides...........I don't think they are. Atkins and Monaghan though are a very solid top class pairing.

Compare it to the best 1-5 on paper and you can see a big difference in my opinion.

That 1-5 being Leeds..............

Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall

Top top top class from 1-5

Wigan's only worry for me is Gelling if they play him at 5 as his squad number suggests they might.

Bowen, Charnley, Goulding, Thornley, Gelling

Not as good as Leeds but plenty of ability and for me in front of Wire's first choice 1-5.

Huddersfield are solid in Grix, McGilvray, Cudjoe, Wardle and Murphy and possess real strike with Cudjoe and Wardle, with the latter one to watch I think in 2014.

Saints possibly have the most youthful 1-5 and the most underrated back in SL in Tommy Makinson.

Lomax, Makinson, Turner, Jones and Swift all have tries in them and this season will have a much stronger pack to play behind as well as a proper halfback pairing, so I expect them to show more improvement than any other team.

So there you go on paper at 1-5 Wire I feel have a bit of catching up to do and outside of their top 17 lack real depth.

That said games are not played on paper but it could be a long season for Wire in my opinion and I'll stick my neck out and say they won't make top 4!!!

Dave T Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Fair enough, valid enough reasons mate, not that I agree.

On your points about our three-quarters - the four in question have returned:

63 tries in 2013

74 tries in 2012

67 tries in 2011

So yes, I think they will worry plenty of defences.

Our main issue imho is if Ratchford can make that number 6 spot his own and control the team like Briers used to.

Not looking good for Wire............Top 4 is looking unlikely at this rate!

#65 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

LordCharles, on 30 Dec 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:snapback.png

Not looking good for Wire............Top 4 is looking unlikely at this rate!

maybe not but this season is still the same as previous, last seasons winners lost 7 out 8 at the finish. Leeds won from 5th twice, the squad is weaker but a fully fit one at the end could still cause some teams problems. Next years format is a different story and although the young players will be better for the game time some quality is needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users