Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

The BBC

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 themainbrace

themainbrace
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Overall, I'd have to say I like the BBC, but there are plenty of things I would criticise.  I'm no sure how easy it is to say it is too left wing or too right wing as it's a many headed beast and I don't know how you would sum all the parts.  I do think there is an atempt to balance  left and right, but I don't agree with posters saying there isn't any bias.  Everyone and every media outlet is biased in some way, I know I've got my own.  The BBC is riven with biases, the most obvious one for me is the bias towards London and the South East that runs throughout the organisation.

Finally, I can't say whether it is the best in the world and I'm not sure how anyone can unless they've spent a substantial amount of time in every country in the world and are able to understand all the languages in those countries.  In my opinion I prefer the RTE1 (Irish) radio channel to anything on the BBC partly because there's more variety of programming on RTE1.  In terms of news coverage, BBC is far too parochial compared to the international breadth and depth you  get from Al jazeera.  Finally, I'd say the historical dramas you get on rtve (Spain) are at least as good as those produced by the BBC.

#22 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

I hate Jeremy Clarkson, but his documentary about the Arctic Convoys tonight was the BBC at its, and his, best.

Edited by Wolford6, 02 January 2014 - 10:08 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

In terms of news coverage, BBC is far too parochial compared to the international breadth and depth you  get from Al jazeera.  Finally, I'd say the historical dramas you get on rtve (Spain) are at least as good as those produced by the BBC.

The BBC's news outlets do vary in this regard. The World Service is hardly parochial - Radio 5, on the other hand...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I hate Jeremy Clarkson, but his documentary about the Arctic Convoys tonight was the BBC at its, and his, best.

I'm not sure about the BBC, but it was certainly Jeremy Clarkson at his best (and worst with his last comment).
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users