Food banks

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Again the so called bedroom tax is something I agree with in principle. There are huge waiting lists for social housing however under occupancy is not a huge issue.

What a surprise! A Tory supports the bedroom tax.  What about all the people in Leeds suffering from the tax because they can't find any "suitable" accommodation.  The whole thrust of this government is to reduce the welfare state in order to give tax cuts to the better off.  Reducing the deficit is and always has been a smokescreen for this policy.  Whatever the faults of the Blair government, and it had many, dishing out the proceeds of growth exclusively to the better off in the form of tax cuts was not one of them.  

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

On one hand, it's reported that we have thousands of young children underfed, whereas thousands are now obese! Clearly a divided nation if the figures stack up.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 30 December 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#23 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

What a surprise! A Tory supports the bedroom tax. What about all the people in Leeds suffering from the tax because they can't find any "suitable" accommodation. The whole thrust of this government is to reduce the welfare state in order to give tax cuts to the better off. Reducing the deficit is and always has been a smokescreen for this policy. Whatever the faults of the Blair government, and it had many, dishing out the proceeds of growth exclusively to the better off in the form of tax cuts was not one of them.

Now thats selective quoting and you know it.

What I said was that cuts to the spare room subsidy is targetting the wrong group.

FWIW the same criteria applies to housing benefit in private lets yet no outcry.

#24 KingKenny774

KingKenny774
  • Banned
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

http://www.theguardi...ette-statistics

39% of the unemployed are smokers. The raw data at the bottom of the page is interesting. How many, what age, socio economic class etc. it would seem some people are choosing the risk of cancer over food, unless all those who use foodbanks are non smokers.

39% averaging 10 per day. Thats about a third of their dole per week on cigs. Perhaps foodbanks should be banned, it may encourage people to quit.

#25 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

http://www.theguardi...ette-statistics

39% of the unemployed are smokers. The raw data at the bottom of the page is interesting. How many, what age, socio economic class etc. it would seem some people are choosing the risk of cancer over food, unless all those who use foodbanks are non smokers.

39% averaging 10 per day. Thats about a third of their dole per week on cigs. Perhaps foodbanks should be banned, it may encourage people to quit.

There's always some reason why the poor are undeserving.  In the sixties when I first became interested in politics the Tories used to say "they're living in subsidised council houses but can afford cars," in the nineties it was satellite dishes, now it's smoking.  You can't get a voucher for a food bank unless you can prove you are in genuine need.  And what the food banks provide is basic rations to keep you alive, not luxuries.  No doubt IDS and his acolytes are busy dreaming up new scare stories about the undeserving, shirking, smoking poor as I write.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Regardless of all that Trojan, if you can't afford enough food for your family, why would you smoke?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Regardless of all that Trojan, if you can't afford enough food for your family, why would you smoke?

This is the uncomfortable truth for many leftwingers and they prefer not to attempt an answer.  Add drink to that as well and that's a lot of money going away from family needs. 

#28 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

This is the uncomfortable truth for many leftwingers and they prefer not to attempt an answer. Add drink to that as well and that's a lot of money going away from family needs.

Difficult decisions need strong leaders. Thatcher made difficult decisions and was proved right with many. George Osborne I think will be thought of as a strong chancellor in years to come if the recovery continues.

#29 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Difficult decisions need strong leaders. Thatcher made difficult decisions and was proved right with many. George Osborne I think will be thought of as a strong chancellor in years to come if the recovery continues.

If what recovery continues?

LUNEW.jpg

#30 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,745 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

The one that means the people who work in the City of London get even bigger bonuses next year. Financial figures based on the output of the financial sector really mean little for the rest of us.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#31 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Read this today in Wigan Evening Post.

I'd not heard of the organisation before but its connected to a church that was very dear to a Great Aunty of mine sadly no longer with us, donation made, but it doesn't seem enough. 

I feel a great sense of shame to live in a society were these are needed at all.

#32 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

This is the uncomfortable truth for many leftwingers and they prefer not to attempt an answer.  Add drink to that as well and that's a lot of money going away from family needs.

Ciggies and drink means a lot of money is going back to the government in duty and tax, so they won't be complaining

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Ciggies and drink means a lot of money is going back to the government in duty and tax, so they won't be complaining

Most of it will be knock off. But nonetheless it still costs money

#34 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

Margaret Thatcher did not die. She lives on as the undead.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#35 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Depressingly, that is not particularly a mark of wastrels.  Give anyone just enough to live on and they will buy some luxuries too and lose out on proper food.  The only way to avoid that is go to subsistance farming societies.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#36 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

So is the gist of what some are saying, because some of the people who use them (though we don't know how many) may possibly be smokers we should not allow food banks?

Personally, I would like to see all food banks closed with immediate effect. Not because I disagree with them but because they were redundant. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Quite.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Because you're an addict?  Because you choose the hit of a drug to calm your worries over anxiety caused by not being able to solve them?  Because, frankly, life is rubbish anyway and you have no many anyway so what's the difference between being this much in debt with no prospect of improvement and *this* much in debt with no prospect of improvement?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Because you're an addict? Because you choose the hit of a drug to calm your worries over anxiety caused by not being able to solve them? Because, frankly, life is rubbish anyway and you have no many anyway so what's the difference between being this much in debt with no prospect of improvement and *this* much in debt with no prospect of improvement?

Quite!

LUNEW.jpg

#40 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Because you're an addict? Because you choose the hit of a drug to calm your worries over anxiety caused by not being able to solve them? Because, frankly, life is rubbish anyway and you have no many anyway so what's the difference between being this much in debt with no prospect of improvement and *this* much in debt with no prospect of improvement?

So basically, screw you kids, my habit comes first? If you only have so much money, you aren't supposed to spend a chunk of it on a personal habit at the expense of food or clothes. And excusing people who do this by defending their habit makes it even easier for them to continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users