TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

UKIP and Nigel Farage

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#201 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

There are reports of un crime and gun seizure every week in the Telegraph and Argus. The people who get caught are not master criminals or contract killers ... by and large they are thick as two short planks.

Evidently, there is an absolute proliferation of handguns in society whether or not their ownwership  is banned.

In such circumstances, ownership of such guns, by responsible people who would register their weapons with the police, would hardly have a devastating effect on the crime rate or murder rate. Registered ownership of a hand gun by a sports shooter is equatable to his/her registered ownership of a shotgun or rifle.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#202 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Let's use your darts example, if a set of darts falls into the wrong hands then they'll cause limited damage. If a gun falls into the wrong hands then it's a vastly different story. There are far too many stories of legitimate and sensible gun owners doing idiotically stupid things with them by accident, never mind the cases of those same people with spotless criminal records occasionally going off the deep end and killing people.

Darts could kill someone, just as a lot of other things we don't normally associate with death could if they hit the right spot.  I certainly wouldn't want one flying at me, put it that way!  The argument that a gun in the wrong hands is a bad idea is stating the bleeding obvious.  The same could be said about cars, which are killers every day of the week, but we don't ban cars because, say, a man with a spotless criminal record gets behind the wheel one day and goes on a killing spree (as indeed one did quite recently - albeit a van, if memory serves, and how hideous was that) or people act like idiots on our roads every day (which they do).

#203 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Anyway give me Nigel over George Galloway anytime.

#204 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Darts could kill someone, just as a lot of other things we don't normally associate with death could if they hit the right spot.  I certainly wouldn't want one flying at me, put it that way!  The argument that a gun in the wrong hands is a bad idea is stating the bleeding obvious.  The same could be said about cars, which are killers every day of the week, but we don't ban cars because, say, a man with a spotless criminal record gets behind the wheel one day and goes on a killing spree (as indeed one did quite recently - albeit a van, if memory serves, and how hideous was that) or people act like idiots on our roads every day (which they do).

Banks are rarely held up with darts.  Gang wars involving darts are rares.  The number of people killed with darts in the world is minimal.  Also, darts are not designed for killing people.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#205 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Banks are rarely held up with darts.

I aren't sure that running into a bank with a 70's pop/rocknroll group is a sensible option anyway.

Besides these days, guys with stockings round their head is so 1970's. Its all new fangled cyber crime - thus we should ban computer keyboards.

#206 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

I aren't sure that running into a bank with a 70's pop/rocknroll group is a sensible option anyway.

Besides these days, guys with stockings round their head is so 1970's. Its all new fangled cyber crime - thus we should ban computer keyboards.

Fair enough!

I would argue the primary purpose of keyboards is not killing people.

It is writing edifying literature, looking up moral texts on the internet and contributing to rugby league messageboards.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#207 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

I was only messing about but actually. .....
I bet more people have committed suicide through cyber bullying than have been shot in recent years?

Nb I am not a gun enthusiast.

#208 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

I was only messing about but actually. .....
I bet more people have committed suicide through cyber bullying than have been shot in recent years?

Nb I am not a gun enthusiast.

Quite so, I meant to be light hearted, but it did not come over.  Have a good evening!

#209 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Quite so, I meant to be light hearted, but it did not come over. Have a good evening!

No, it did come across. ;)

#210 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

The primary purpose and use of guns in the world is to kill people or to provide the threat of killing people.  Outside of a very controlled range scenario, there are trivially few legitimate needs or purposes for a gun in the UK.

As it stands in the UK, if a criminal goes out with a gun then he's escalating any situation and will go away for a very long time, even if he's just posing with it and not intending to commit a violent crime, sentencing guidelines mean that it adds at least 5 years to the sentence of any crime.  Burgle a house without a gun and you'll probably get away with it with the police not even bothering to do much but give a crime number.  Burgle a house and threaten the owner with a gun and you'll get the undivided attention of a large group of very serious policemen.  If I had my way, anyone who committed a gun crime would get a mandatory life sentence never mind the 5+ years that get added now.  In the US, many criminals carry guns because there's a chance their victims will have one.

There are almost no situations in the UK where someone can accidentally be shot with a legitimately owned pistol or rifle, unless the owner has broken the law or licensing conditions.  You won't find a bullied kid stealing his dad's rifle and going on a killing spree at a UK school unless the owner has broken the law or licensing conditions.  You won't get a toddler accidentally killing himself because he thinks the gun is a toy.  That's the sort of stuff that Farage risks bringing back if he ever got his way with allowing handguns back in general public use.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#211 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

Farage tries again to get the popularity vote by saying he'll cut the NHS and pensions budgets :P

Does anyone think that he's trying to see how daft or unpopular his policies can get and the numpties will still defend him and the policies?

Edit: The comments on that article from UKIP-types are just amusing :P  A paraphrase of one that was serious but made me chuckle: "Go further Nigel and cut 20% from the salaries of all public sector workers including nurses, GPs and teachers because they're overpaid"

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#212 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

There are almost no situations in the UK where someone can accidentally be shot with a legitimately owned pistol or rifle, unless the owner has broken the law or licensing conditions.  You won't find a bullied kid stealing his dad's rifle and going on a killing spree at a UK school unless the owner has broken the law or licensing conditions.  You won't get a toddler accidentally killing himself because he thinks the gun is a toy.  That's the sort of stuff that Farage risks bringing back if he ever got his way with allowing handguns back in general public use.

There were almost no situations of that kind prior to the handgun ban either!  It's been a long time in this country since guns were readily available to the general population.

Don't forget that the handgun ban came in after one particular incident.  A very very horrific incident but it was one.  We have had another horrific incident subsequent to the handgun ban, which I think is evidence that banning guns doesn't actually stop people from spree killing.  Nor does a ban stop criminals from getting their grubby paws on guns because criminals by their nature find ways around the law.  For all that he's a bit of a plank, I don't think Farage was suggesting we morph into the USA.  I just think he was pointing out the obvious.  We still have gun crime and we still have spree killings.  We always will have both of those regardless of how strict our gun laws are, and I think we have one of if not the strictest gun laws in the world.

#213 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

[url=http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100257048/nigel-farage-the-tories-have-failed-only-ukip-dares-cut-spending-on-nhs-and-pensions/] "Go further Nigel and cut 20% from the salaries of all public sector workers including nurses, GPs and teachers because they're overpaid"

I can think of at least half a dozen posters on TRL who'd sign up to that, and you could easily double that if you specified 'Muslim' nurses, GPs and teachers,

EDIT: Has the Wolford spelling of 'muslim' been added to the swear filter? Brilliant.

Edited by Just Browny, 29 January 2014 - 07:49 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#214 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Has the Wolford spelling of 'muslim' been added to the swear filter? Brilliant.

The front row swots snitched on me to the teacher, and I've been threatened with the cuts.

It's why I've added the subscript to my posts.

Edited by Wolford6, 29 January 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#215 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

I didn't realise this, but Nigel Farage has a regular column in The Independent.

http://www.independe...ge-8931418.html

#216 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Another reason (as well as Mike Calvin) never to buy that rag ever again.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#217 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Another reason (as well as Mike Calvin) never to buy that rag ever again.

Sales have plummeted in the past year.

If only there were obvious reasons why.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#218 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

Sinister non-purchasing patterns...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#219 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I've only bought the Saturday Times for the past three weeks. The Daily Times has gone up 20p to £1.20, meaning that I would primarily be paying about  £370 pa for the crossword and sudoku etc. It's cheaper to buy a few books of them.

#220 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

I've only bought the Saturday Times for the past three weeks. The Daily Times has gone up 20p to £1.20, meaning that I would primarily be paying about  £370 pa for the crossword and sudoku etc. It's cheaper to buy a few books of them.

Yes, I know.

But then I couldn't make my funny joke.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users