Haddock

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

According to our chippy proprietor the price of haddock has gone through the roof.  He stopped selling it replacing it with cod, a big no-no around Leeds.  He will now provide it only if you ask for it and are prepared to pay a premium, and he's not alone. Apparently the Russians have cut the quota for haddock.  this is bad news for those of us from the West Riding who prefer haddock to cod.  I wonder what pollock tastes like?

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#2 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Coley is nice

#3 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Coley is nice

I think coley is what is known as saithe in this part of the world - could be wrong.

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

The wife gets plaice these days from chippies.  Mainly because it's cooked to order so you know it's not been sitting there for most of the day...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

For a wide selection of fish dishes, the award-winning cafe in Thornton, Lancashire is tops.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

According to our chippy proprietor the price of haddock has gone through the roof. He stopped selling it replacing it with cod, a big no-no around Leeds. He will now provide it only if you ask for it and are prepared to pay a premium, and he's not alone. Apparently the Russians have cut the quota for haddock. this is bad news for those of us from the West Riding who prefer haddock to cod. I wonder what pollock tastes like?

Pollock is fine, just a bit unfashionable.

Good cod is very nice, but you have to wonder about sustainability and price.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

I used to play rugby with a bloke whose surname was Haddock and whose parents owned a Bradford fish and chip shop.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Pollock is fine, just a bit unfashionable.

Good cod is very nice, but you have to wonder about sustainability and price.

Wouldn't thank you for cod round here.  A few years ago a couple from Norfolk took over a local chippie and switched from haddock to cod, they lasted less than a year.

Edited by Trojan, 30 December 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

I've never eaten fish but, when I was a kid,  Eastern Valley chip shops sold plaice and hake.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

The chances of that white fish definitively being cod or haddock are slight.

And in blind tastings the majority of people can't tell whether they're eating cod, haddock or pollock.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

The chances of that white fish definitively being cod or haddock are slight.

And in blind tastings the majority of people can't tell whether they're eating cod, haddock or pollock.

we could certainly tell here when our chippy switched from haddock to cod,it was only when we said something that he offered to supply haddock at a higher price

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

we could certainly tell here when our chippy switched from haddock to cod,it was only when we said something that he offered to supply haddock at a higher price

He changed supplier from one white fish to another.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

He changed supplier from one white fish to another.

He sold fish but didn't specify what type.  But it was haddock, he switched to cod to maintain the same price, we didn't like it much and said so, so now he offers haddock. you can tell the difference.  Cod is much flakier and has a coarser taste, haddock has a much sweeter flavour

#14 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

Always been able to buy Cod in Leeds Chippys. In Hull they won't touch the stuff!

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,217 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Always been able to buy Cod in Leeds Chippys. In Hull they won't touch the stuff!

Me too: this is a new one on me

Cod has always been at the top of the menus in the thirty years  I've lived in leeds

Big fan of Midgeleys at west park

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#16 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Me too: this is a new one on me

Cod has always been at the top of the menus in the thirty years  I've lived in leeds

Big fan of Midgeleys at west park

Bryans, Drakes, the Art Deco Chippy at Roundhay, Bretts at Headingley all sell haddock.  Until the recent haddock shortage, The Mermaid in Morley had a sign requesting customers who wanted cod to order it when they came into the shop.

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,217 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

Bryans, Drakes, the Art Deco Chippy at Roundhay, Bretts at Headingley all sell haddock.  Until the recent haddock shortage, The Mermaid in Morley had a sign requesting customers who wanted cod to order it when they came into the shop.

Yes they do sell haddock

That is not what you were on about. You said it was the first choice

I've never been in bryans but I've been in drakes

, bretts, the art deco gaff plenty of times. I font like drakes their fat smells rancid. Kirbys in meanwood is ok.

I don't think I've been to the mermaid in Morley, so maybe it's a Morley thing and you are extrapolating it.

My wife was born and bred in hunslet. I've just asked her and she seems pretty certain that the default fish is cod.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 30 December 2013 - 08:11 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#18 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

In the old West Riding, in Harrogate, where I was brought up, both cod and haddock were available but haddock was viewed as the superior product and the fish of choice.

Incidentally, nobody in Leeds knew what i was taking about when i tried to order "one of each and a bag of scraps!"

LUNEW.jpg

#19 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

In the old West Riding, in Harrogate, where I was brought up, both cod and haddock were available but haddock was viewed as the superior product and the fish of choice.

Incidentally, nobody in Leeds knew what i was taking about when i tried to order "one of each and a bag of scraps!"

2 things.....

1) Which chippy did you use in Harrogate? (Or did you go to Knaresborough
2) That's because you should have just said "twice wi' scraps please luv"
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#20 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Firstly this is the best thread on this forum,

secondly, living in Hook (Hampshire)if I ever dared to order fish and chips I have been used to just getting Cod without really thinking - we went to Milford on Sea in the summer and I saw Haddock on the menu as well as cod so ordered Haddock as that is what I was brought up on - loved it, as did my 10 yr old son, wife and 4 yr old daughter.

Hook (Hampshire) can now inhale my pecker when it comes to fish and chips as I refuse to buy them any more
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users