TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Haddock

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

2 things.....

1) Which chippy did you use in Harrogate? (Or did you go to Knaresborough
2) That's because you should have just said "twice wi' scraps please luv"

1) Crow's Nest on Knaresborough Road.
2) Oh!

LUNEW.jpg

#22 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

1) Crow's Nest on Knaresborough Road.
2) Oh!

I know it - good ones from there.

From Follifoot we used to do Leeds Rd, Knaresborough or a as a special treat, the Wetherby Whaler!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,454 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Firstly this is the best thread on this forum,

secondly, living in Hook (Hampshire)if I ever dared to order fish and chips I have been used to just getting Cod without really thinking - we went to Milford on Sea in the summer and I saw Haddock on the menu as well as cod so ordered Haddock as that is what I was brought up on - loved it, as did my 10 yr old son, wife and 4 yr old daughter.

Hook (Hampshire) can now inhale my pecker when it comes to fish and chips as I refuse to buy them any more

That is because fish and chips across most of the south is so bad that I had a Harry Ramsden's kiosk fish and chips (white fish non determined) at the MacArthur Glen Retail Outlet at Ashford International the other day and it was the best I'd had outside of a decent restaurant in about a decade.

There are good chip shops round here (Hastings, (East Sussex)) apparently.  I will be trying them and reporting back in due course.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

That is because fish and chips across most of the south is so bad that I had a Harry Ramsden's kiosk fish and chips (white fish non determined) at the MacArthur Glen Retail Outlet at Ashford International the other day and it was the best I'd had outside of a decent restaurant in about a decade.

There are good chip shops round here (Hastings, (East Sussex)) apparently.  I will be trying them and reporting back in due course.

we know where Hastings is....

The fish and chips from Milford on sea were as good as I've ever had
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,869 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

There used to be a very good (award winning) one a short bus ride away from me in Colindale, North London, but it is long gone now.

I haven't had decent F+C in many years.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

There used to be a very good (award winning) one a short bus ride away from me in Colindale, North London, but it is long gone now.

I haven't had decent F+C in many years.

I have eaten from many "award wining" chippies in my time which are so far from the "husband and wife in Cas" chippies i"m used to it's untrue

Posted Image

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

The chippy near work in Westhoughton is just awful. Dad says it's because they don't fry in dripping over in Lancashire. But do they really do that here in Yorkshire? (Or Bradford/West Yorkshire for the sticklers)

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

As for the fish I've no idea what it is. I think I can tell the difference, this fish seems drier aftertaste, so it may be cod.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,869 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

I have eaten from many "award wining" chippies in my time which are so far from the "husband and wife in Cas" chippies i"m used to it's untrue

The one in Colindale was really good. It is now some ersatz fried chicken-flavoured gristle emporium, which is a depressing thought.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

As for the fish I've no idea what it is. I think I can tell the difference, this fish seems drier aftertaste, so it may be cod.

this thread really isn't for you

Posted Image

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

this thread really isn't for you

I ended up in the wrong plaice.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

The chippy near work in Westhoughton is just awful. Dad says it's because they don't fry in dripping over in Lancashire.

I do wonder sometimes why chippys can be so vastly different despite being actually quite close. Having lived in Manchester 8 years now, nothing has come close to the stuff they have in Yorkshire. It took me about 6 years to find somewhere that had even half decent fish and chips. Not amazing, but not awful like some stuff I've tried. Might just be unlucky, but it is strange
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#33 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

best local to us fish and chips is millbridge chippy on leeds rd just lower down than golden fish as you drop down into heckmondwike swan lights, (haddock too) cod is bigger chunks and a harsher flavour. and am told by a mate who runs a chippy cod is a very dirty fish and if you hold an uncooked fillit up to a light you can see small worms still in the fish as its a bottom feeder.

golden fish is nice fish but rank chips as their all bits not propper nice big well cooked ones like millbridge.

for a trip out try trenshers in whitby by the roundabout and main carpark were all bikers hang out on a sunny sunday. parsley sauce is super.massive fish and a special coleslaw thats to die for.home baked t cakes/baps. too.

#34 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

The chippy near work in Westhoughton is just awful. Dad says it's because they don't fry in dripping over in Lancashire. But do they really do that here in Yorkshire? (Or Bradford/West Yorkshire for the sticklers)

Theres what I consider to be a cracking chippy down the road in Aspull, well worth the 10 minute drive, but make sure you get the one on Ratcliffe Road rather than the fingerpost one or the chinese on scott lane or you will be disappointed!

#35 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

My own chips are the best I've ever tasted. Vegetable lard topped up with bacon fat, sausage fat and steak juice from the grill pan.

I never use straight vinegar on them. I've always got a jar of sliced onions being pickled and use the pickling vinegar.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,615 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Some do some don't

Years ago I courted lass from ulverston who's dad had a chippy

He used oil. I was nonplussed

My grandparents had a chippy in sharlston. I doubt whether they even knew what cooking oil was

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 31 December 2013 - 10:07 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,615 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

I know it - good ones from there.

From Follifoot we used to do Leeds Rd, Knaresborough or a as a special treat, the Wetherby Whaler!

Had fish chips and double mushies in the wetherby whaler in Wakefield the other day. It's where all the car dealerships are. Most acceptable and great service. The woman behind the counter started ladling the mushies on and told me to say when: paradise.

Keeping it local

#38 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Harry Ramsdens always used Haddock in the past and are doing so again.

http://www.theguardi...-fish-and-chips

I'm always amazed at the quality and quantity of the Haddock at the fish shop I use in Coventry.
Both Haddock and Cod are £4.75 which might be quite expensive? But the Haddock is over a foot long as against the Cod which is only about 8/9 inches. The Haddock is always Snow White in colour often it can be grey.
A mate of mine told me that he had a fish and chip shop and would never eat Cod due to the worms that used to come out of it.
There is a famous fish and chip restaurant in Small Heath, Birmingham called "Bedders" it only opens for two hours at lunchtime, you can't book and just have to queue. I've never been but have often seen people queuing up to get in.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,869 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Long queues doesn't always mean it's good, but probably enhances the perceived quality if you've waited in line for ages.

Mind you, some days in Whitby, you can find yourself queuing, whichever chippy you choose.

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,615 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Long queues doesn't always mean it's good, but probably enhances the perceived quality if you've waited in line for ages.

Mind you, some days in Whitby, you can find yourself queuing, whichever chippy you choose.

The magpie in Whitby is a classic example

There are better chippies on the same street.

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users