Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Haddock

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

The magpie in Whitby is a classic example

There are better chippies on the same street.

I don't know a single person who has ever had the patience to find out if the Magpie actually is any good or not. I just look at the length of the queues and think 'madness! I'm too hungry for a wait that long'.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#42 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Long queues doesn't always mean it's good, but probably enhances the perceived quality if you've waited in line for ages.

Indeed. I once made that mistake in central London. And it was a big mistake. Paid over £7.50 for fish & chips that were so bad I ended up binning 3/4 of them. :angry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#43 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

According to our chippy proprietor the price of haddock has gone through the roof.  He stopped selling it replacing it with cod, a big no-no around Leeds.  He will now provide it only if you ask for it and are prepared to pay a premium, and he's not alone. Apparently the Russians have cut the quota for haddock.  this is bad news for those of us from the West Riding who prefer haddock to cod.  I wonder what pollock tastes like?

Pollock is fine but it has a more grey colour than cod and it was seen as less attractive to the shopper... It has been promoted quite a bit more in recent years, as an alternate to cod, and the last time I looked it was nearly as expensive.

#44 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

I used to play rugby with a bloke whose surname was Haddock and whose parents owned a Bradford fish and chip shop.

Somefin fishy about this post. It seems to be a bit of a tail, not to say off the scale.

#45 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I've never eaten fish but, when I was a kid,  Eastern Valley chip shops sold plaice and hake.

Plaice and hake were sometimes on the chipper menu when I was a kid. Both are cracking to eat.

#46 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

In the old West Riding, in Harrogate, where I was brought up, both cod and haddock were available but haddock was viewed as the superior product and the fish of choice.

Incidentally, nobody in Leeds knew what i was taking about when i tried to order "one of each and a bag of scraps!"

Huddersfield and Halifax were said to be haddock towns, so when there was media coverage of the shortage of cod it was said that it wouldn't effect the chippers much.

Edited by longboard, 31 December 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#47 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

best local to us fish and chips is millbridge chippy on leeds rd just lower down than golden fish as you drop down into heckmondwike swan lights, (haddock too) cod is bigger chunks and a harsher flavour. and am told by a mate who runs a chippy cod is a very dirty fish and if you hold an uncooked fillit up to a light you can see small worms still in the fish as its a bottom feeder.

golden fish is nice fish but rank chips as their all bits not propper nice big well cooked ones like millbridge.

for a trip out try trenshers in whitby by the roundabout and main carpark were all bikers hang out on a sunny sunday. parsley sauce is super.massive fish and a special coleslaw thats to die for.home baked t cakes/baps. too.

Aye, good f & c at Millbridge. The Golden Fish is pricey IIRC.

I used to go to a chipper in Heckmondwike when I worked there. It was a lean to in the Market Place and they kept the uncooked chipped spuds in a bath!

#48 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,366 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

'Chipper'? 'Chippy' surely?

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#49 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Longtime supplier of parboiled potatoes to Yorkshire fish and chip shops. Idwal Fisher had an appropriate name and was Tony's brother. Played for Wales, Northern and Warrington.

http://www.mylocalse...erIdwalLtd.html

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#50 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,282 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

I've heard them called that

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#51 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Had fish chips and double mushies in the wetherby whaler in Wakefield the other day. It's where all the car dealerships are. Most acceptable and great service. The woman behind the counter started ladling the mushies on and told me to say when: paradise.

Most definitely haddock in all Wetherby Whalers

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#52 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

chip 'oil in Morley (and in Tony Capstick's "Captstick Comes Home")

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#53 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,366 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

chip 'oil in Morley (and in Tony Capstick's "Captstick Comes Home")

Also acceptable, assuming you use 'oil as dialect for hole.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,282 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Most definitely haddock in all Wetherby Whalers

If you ask for it

Anyway it was good gear

Keeping it local

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,282 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Also acceptable, assuming you use 'oil as dialect for hole.

In Scotland it's fish bar

And the fish and chips are to be avoided at all costs

Pudding supper every time

Keeping it local

#56 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

I went into a fish and chip shop in the centre of Inverness and asked for " fish and chips twice please"
The guy looked at me and said " you want fish AND chips?"
"Yes"
He looked me up and down and obviously thought no wonder he's fat. He turned to the other customers and they all looked at me askance.
He put the fish and chips into the wrappers and then started doling out more chips.
" what are you doing?" I asked,
Him " giving you the chips you asked for"
Me "But you've given me the chips"
Him "No I haven't"
Me "Yes, you have they are in the wrapper"
Him "No, that's fish"
Me " but there's chips in there"
Him " yes that's fish"
Me " look in that wrapper you have put fish AND chips"
Him "no that's just a fish supper"
Me "that's what I wanted"
Him "well why did you ask for fish AND chips"
Me " cos I want fish with chips"
Him " well just ask for fish in future"
God knows how you order fish without chips.

Edited by bearman, 31 December 2013 - 05:24 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#57 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

I don't know a single person who has ever had the patience to find out if the Magpie actually is any good or not. I just look at the length of the queues and think 'madness! I'm too hungry for a wait that long'.

I hadn't been to The Magpie in years owing to the queues, but I went there one evening a few weeks ago when I was working in Whitby. The fish and chips were jolly good and the service was good too. Out of season and on a week day evening may be the time to go.

I was one of the younger people there and I am not young.

Edited by longboard, 31 December 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#58 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

What do they sell in Keighley?

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#59 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,332 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

best local to us fish and chips is millbridge chippy on leeds rd just lower down than golden fish as you drop down into heckmondwike swan lights, (haddock too) cod is bigger chunks and a harsher flavour. and am told by a mate who runs a chippy cod is a very dirty fish and if you hold an uncooked fillit up to a light you can see small worms still in the fish as its a bottom feeder.

golden fish is nice fish but rank chips as their all bits not propper nice big well cooked ones like millbridge.

for a trip out try trenshers in whitby by the roundabout and main carpark were all bikers hang out on a sunny sunday. parsley sauce is super.massive fish and a special coleslaw thats to die for.home baked t cakes/baps. too.

Pretty much any white fish that ends up on the table is a bottom feeder but your mate's right, cod is particularly wormy.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#60 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

I hadn't been to The Magpie in years owing to the queues, but I went there one evening a few weeks ago when I was working in Whitby. The fish and chips were jolly good and the service was good too. Out of season and on a week day evening may be the time to go.

I was one of the younger people there and I am not young.

Called there some years ago and actually waited patiently in the long queue and worth it for the tasty meal. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users