Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Haddock

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,551 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

What do they sell in Keighley?

I used to go to this one in uttley on Skelton road

Decent stuff

It was on look north a couple of weeks back selling deep fried mince pies

The one next to the volunteers in town is supposed to be the cheapest in the country

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#62 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,551 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I used to go to this one in uttley on Skipton road

Decent stuff

It was on look north a couple of weeks back selling deep fried mince pies

The one next to the volunteers in town is supposed to be the cheapest in the country

Keeping it local

#63 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Plaice and hake were sometimes on the chipper menu when I was a kid. Both are cracking to eat.

Hake is a very tasty fish. Generally about half the price of cod and tastes better.

Missus made a halibut stew on Christmas eve. It was delicious.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#64 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

There'd always be haddock and hake on the menu in the chippies I used to go to around Blackpool, cod was on too but most of the locals I met seemed to prefer the haddock and wince slightly when discussing the worms in cod.

Quality was hit and miss, there was certainly a nice one in Thornton (probably the one Saint Billinge mentioned). The hake was cheaper and usually rather tasty.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#65 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hake in Spain is Merluza, a popular and tasty fish. I just can't imagine it wrapped in batter from a chippy though. A bit too classy for that surely?

A Fev Blog

#66 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Whether its Cod or Haddock should it be skin on or off. Here in W Yorks skin off is the norm but on my regular visits to Whitby unless you request otherwise its served with skin.

#67 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,781 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hake in Spain is Merluza, a popular and tasty fish. I just can't imagine it wrapped in batter from a chippy though. A bit too classy for that surely?

I used to frequent a shop that sold Spanish food, including tins of Piquillo peppers stuffed with prawns and hake. Tasty.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#68 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

I would quite like to try battered Monk fish, but it would have to be nice batter.

28m391z.jpg

#69 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Tilapia and Basa are quite nice and mild, along with Hoki which I think is a big fat Cod from New Zealand.

#70 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Tilapia and Basa are quite nice and mild, along with Hoki which I think is a big fat Cod from New Zealand.

Tilapia and Basa are being passed off as Cod or Haddock by unscrupulous chip shop owners wanting to boost their profit. They are sort of the horse of the fish world. :P 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#71 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

According to our chippy proprietor the price of haddock has gone through the roof.  He stopped selling it replacing it with cod, a big no-no around Leeds.  He will now provide it only if you ask for it and are prepared to pay a premium, and he's not alone. Apparently the Russians have cut the quota for haddock.  this is bad news for those of us from the West Riding who prefer haddock to cod.  I wonder what pollock tastes like?

I don't know if this is in any way reassuring but on Hessle Road today cod and haddock fillets were selling for the same price, one and a half kilos for a tenner.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#72 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I had bacalhau (dried cod) in Madrid a couple of years ago, in a stew with potatoes, it was delicious.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#73 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hake is a very tasty fish. Generally about half the price of cod and tastes better.

Missus made a halibut stew on Christmas eve. It was delicious.

There was a time in when chippies in and around Leeds would offer halibut in batter, like cod or haddock, but I haven't seen it for a long time. I've only ever had halibut once and I recall it having a really meaty taste.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#74 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

used to be the common belief in leeds that cod had worms in it .  you could get it  and it was always cheaper than haddock  but no ###### wanted it

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#75 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

I remember as a kid fetching hake from the chip shop for my Grandma in Barrow.
One of the nicest pieces of fried fish I have ever had was Skate, I had that in a fish and chip shop in Ramsgate.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#76 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

I did A Level Biology and one of our school old boys once caught a really big skate off the South Wales coast. He brought it in to be dissected to see what was in its stomach (to get hints what bait to use in future). The thing was an absolute monster and stuck out about a foot from each side of a lab sink.

I can't remember exactly what was found in its stomach but I remember it was nothing remarkable. I wasn't in the lab when it was cut up.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#77 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

In Scotland it's fish bar
And the fish and chips are to be avoided at all costs
Pudding supper every time

Edinburgh Fish and Chipd are truly dire. Not had a single good one in the 4 years Ive lived here.

#78 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

There'd always be haddock and hake on the menu in the chippies I used to go to around Blackpool, cod was on too but most of the locals I met seemed to prefer the haddock and wince slightly when discussing the worms in cod.

Quality was hit and miss, there was certainly a nice one in Thornton (probably the one Saint Billinge mentioned). The hake was cheaper and usually rather tasty.

The one that my wife and I go to in Thornton is near the windmill. 

#79 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,551 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

Edinburgh Fish and Chipd are truly dire. Not had a single good one in the 4 years Ive lived here.

When I lived there I stuck to white pudding suppers.

Also it wasn't salt and vinegar that you had on but salt and sauce and you weren't AppleScript it on they did it for you

Keeping it local

#80 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Having lived in North Wales for over 30 years I often take the wife to Knaresborough just to get fish chips and mushy peas from Drakes, absolutely spot on. Also they do proper fish cakes - a piece of fish between two slices of potato and deep fried in batter. Some thing was a real treat when growing up in the west riding.