Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

So how was it for you?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#2 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

A good year.

One of the better ones in fact.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#3 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

I enjoyed myself but then I normally do.

#4 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

New job, better company. Quite a bit of work travel but not too bad. My son started at school and has settled in well, my daughter moved up to juniors and is also happy. Nice family holiday to Portugal with friends.

Not bad as years go.

The last government were convinced that we were there to do their bidding. They wasted vast quantities of our money in order to spy on us, intimidate us and needlessly over regulate us, whilst gold plating their own pensions and expenses. Their behind the scenes encouragement of, and turning a blind eye to, the kettling and harrassment tactics of the Police are a shameful episode in our history which we need to remember and address urgently. - Haloman

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,535 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Not awesome.

Personally quite enjoyable in the main however ongoing health issues for my partner and my sister's cancer returning has naturally put a negative spin on the year.

The RLWC was outstanding though and something i'll always remembet!

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,984 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

2013year.jpg

A dire year or as the Queen puts it an annus horriblis.

- A couple of good friends died well before their time.  FFS.

- A shocking year trying to get my blood pressure sorted, it peaked at 190/140 when still on the strongest dual medication they could give me.  The side effects were utterly horrendous and it was only when I swapped to a different tablet that I noticed how fried they made my brain.  No wonder I struggled badly doing the same stuff I could do with ease the year before.  I'm on daft doses of beta-blockers now to try to control it, the doctor suggested that my stress levels were probably the major cause of the high blood pressure levels.

- My wife still very ill.  Probably going to be that way for at least a couple of years yet but there's at least a way through now that she can see.  Two outstanding consultants have helped and gone above and beyond their duties to make sure she was at least stable and on progress to recover.

- Abysmal work over the year working for some of the most narcissistic, arrogant, back-stabbing people I've ever met in my life.  2014 will be better as I've given all that up and start a new, more local, bit of work that's a 40% daily pay cut but isn't London and cuts my commute from 5 hours a day to 1 hour a day.  That's worth it alone.

- Our best friends are getting a divorce after 22 years of marriage.  It got to the point that I had to tell them both bluntly that the next one to hint that I should choose a side would be the one I'd choose against.

- Savings screwed a bit with some of the ridiculously massive outgoings we've had to pay.  All I can say is that it's turned me even more left wing, it's a bloody good job I can afford to pay them because some of them, especially the £12,000 of healthcare costs for my wife, should have been picked up by the state.  But for my earnings, we'd have been in serious trouble and all because the NHS cuts mean that the NHS simply cannot perform basic services for many areas these days.  My contempt for the Lib Dems has now exceeded that of the Tories because the Tories didn't disappoint me, at least I knew what they were like in advance.

The best thing to say is that we've got through the year in no worse a state than we started it but it's been a very testing year.

I'll post tomorrow on the 2014 New Year Resolutions my plan to fix a number of things there.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm sorry Craig and Dave for the personal issues that have affected your families and friends. Let's hope 2014 will bring better luck for you and your partners.

Puts everything else into perspective.

• Dave T likes this

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,687 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

absolutely f*ing awful first 6 months

Last 6 months in a new job have been great and back to being able to being a proper father and husband again. A bit deep I know but them's the facts!

Happy New Year to everyone on here
  • Dave T likes this
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#9 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

- A shocking year trying to get my blood pressure sorted, it peaked at 190/140 when still on the strongest dual medication they could give me.  The side effects were utterly horrendous and it was only when I swapped to a different tablet that I noticed how fried they made my brain.  No wonder I struggled badly doing the same stuff I could do with ease the year before.  I'm on daft doses of beta-blockers now to try to control it, the doctor suggested that my stress levels were probably the major cause of the high blood pressure levels.

Does your doctor know that you are a moderator on here, that in itself is enough to elevate the BP of even the most mild mannered person.

In all seriousness there are a lot of medications for treating hypertension with many different mechanisms of action, and different people tolerate certain ones better than others. I am sure you are not shy about speaking up but do push your doctor to offer alternatives if one is giving unacceptable side effects. Controlling blood pressure is very much an art (and somewhat less of a science).

a

As a project manager myself who recently moved jobs (well back in Feb), I know what a difference a change can make. The last company that I worked for was awful and was affecting my health and family life, I stuck it for too long but the new job is like a breath of fresh air....and I get time to post on here again.

Wishing you a better 2014.

The last government were convinced that we were there to do their bidding. They wasted vast quantities of our money in order to spy on us, intimidate us and needlessly over regulate us, whilst gold plating their own pensions and expenses. Their behind the scenes encouragement of, and turning a blind eye to, the kettling and harrassment tactics of the Police are a shameful episode in our history which we need to remember and address urgently. - Haloman

#10 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

2013year.jpg

A dire year or as the Queen puts it an annus horriblis.

- A couple of good friends died well before their time.  FFS.

- My wife still very ill.  Probably going to be that way for at least a couple of years yet but there's at least a way through now that she can see.  Two outstanding consultants have helped and gone above and beyond their duties to make sure she was at least stable and on progress to recover.

- Abysmal work over the year working for some of the most narcissistic, arrogant, back-stabbing people I've ever met in my life.  2014 will be better as I've given all that up and start a new, more local, bit of work that's a 40% daily pay cut but isn't London and cuts my commute from 5 hours a day to 1 hour a day.  That's worth it alone.

- Our best friends are getting a divorce after 22 years of marriage.  It got to the point that I had to tell them both bluntly that the next one to hint that I should choose a side would be the one I'd choose against.

- Savings screwed a bit with some of the ridiculously massive outgoings we've had to pay.  All I can say is that it's turned me even more left wing, it's a bloody good job I can afford to pay them because some of them, especially the £12,000 of healthcare costs for my wife, should have been picked up by the state.  But for my earnings, we'd have been in serious trouble and all because the NHS cuts mean that the NHS simply cannot perform basic services for many areas these days.  My contempt for the Lib Dems has now exceeded that of the Tories because the Tories didn't disappoint me, at least I knew what they were like in advance.

The best thing to say is that we've got through the year in no worse a state than we started it but it's been a very testing year.

I'll post tomorrow on the 2014 New Year Resolutions my plan to fix a number of things there.

That's some horrible year and I hope things improve Craig.

As for me, it's been very good. Done loads of hiking in our wonderful countryside and coast, visited the Isle of Wight and Poland: the Salt Mines with its cathedral and chapels are truly amazing. Enjoyed some wonderful days taking baby Jessica (first grandchild) out in her pram. As ever, rugby league featured, but a bit of frustration watching the Saints. Finally got round to buying new appliances for the kitchen. Finished Football In Its Own Words after four challenging years, although I prefer selling printed books in shops. 

I did suffer badly after falling 5ft off a stepladder in June and landed on my back on the pavement. Having asked time and time again for an X-ray, I finally got one in November and which revealed a fracture on my spine. It does now seem to be getting better. Having suffered four horrible years in pain from carpel tunnel syndrome, this year has seen it improve no end. 

As ever, always try to wear a smile even in difficult times, because it does cheer others up.  :tongue:

Edited by Saint Billinge, 30 December 2013 - 09:31 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#11 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

Had better, had worse.

In a good place at work, earning more than I have ever before. Home life is good, some good plans for future.

Few minor hiccups and wife was in a car crash 3 weeks before xmas, aside from that nothing too major

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,398 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

The fact that I'm writing this from a rented house in Hastings whilst listening to Abba singing in Spanish suggests that 2013 has been quite a strange year.

It became apparent that we needed to make some major changes to our life with the most obvious reason being that Little Ginger was not going to get the support he needed if we stayed in Britain's most desirable village.  So, after a lot of soul searching and with a quite ridiculous amount of risk, we're now here and he's off to a surprisingly down-to-earth independent school that can meet all of his requirements without making a big trumpeting deal of it.  That they can cope with Little Ginger II as well is a nice bonus.  In a better world at a better time we wouldn't have had to do any of this but them's the breaks.

Nothing too disastrous happened although coming home from a family funeral to find you've been burgled is not an experience I recommend.  On the other hand I single-handedly organised an event at the Oval that saw 500 people turn up to hear about digestive diseases and enjoy it.  I get to do the latter again in Manchester in 2014.

So, overall, I don't think I'll be looking back to this year with much fondness but I think the decisions we've made are the right ones and I am looking forward to 2014.

Slainte ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,772 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Better than 2012 as no-one I knew had died, down from 3, but to say I've very little in the way of bad news or even vague excitement offered by other forumers - in fact I'm exceptionally dull - it still seems like this year was just another one, and probably much like the next.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,687 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

The fact that I'm writing this from a rented house in Hastings

You should go Crown Green Bowling with Bleep
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Odd year - too many friends and heroes died, but that's just the passing years, sadly.

Still, I keep waking up every morning (so far) and the pinstriped vampire squid of our industry have not yet destroyed all that is good, honest and decent. Yet.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

On the whole its been a splendid year.

Jumped off the fence with my good lady and kick started a couple of things to hopefully make our working lives more the way we want them to be, big step after two crushing failures in years gone by.

Sport shouldn't have such a bearing as it did, but I really can't put into words what the two trips to Wembley with my 5 year old daughter mean't to me watching Wigan in the FA Cup.  That and the RLWC which was unreal from start to end, the people, the events, the experience and of course the rugby will life with me for a long time to come.

Got some issues with my youngest, but he's blissfully unaware and one of the happiest 3 year olds you could meet (well most of the time!) so we'll see what 2014 and 2015 bring for him, he'll be making or breaking those years regardless of whatelse life throws up, I suspect.

Roll on 2014, I hope its a good one for the good people of TRL.

• Kenilworth Tiger likes this

On Friday 28th March I'm taking part in the Wigan Streetsleep, raising money for The Brick charity who try to ensure nobody in Wigan finding themselves homeless spends a 2nd night on the streets and providing help and support via a foodbank.  Every penny counts so if you can spare anything at all its much appreciated - this link will take you to my sponsorship page thanks.

#17 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

2013 was a great year:

- Went to my mate's wedding in Sydney (clocking up 16 games of RL over two weekends!!)

- Hornets won their first piece of silverware for 91 years - beating Oldham in the final to win promotion.

- Then we played Fiji in the WC Warm-up game (and I got to announce Petero Civoniceva - at Spotland!)

- Full house at Fiji v Ireland at Spotland

- An inspiring World Cup, with some inspirational friends.

- Caught my first ever grouper and my biggest ever black bream

- Played my first gig in 23 years (could hardly play for shaking)

2014 has a lot to live up to - bring it on!

Have a good one everyone. Live it to the full.

• Dave T likes this

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#18 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

So how was it for you?

Not bad. My first reaction was to have a bit of a whinge about work being a bit slack and the renovations on the new house still not finished. But put into context these are minor problems. High hopes for 2014.

You?

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#19 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Having been plagued and tormented by events of the past and consequent mental health problems, 2013 has been the worst year of my life by some way. I made 3 attempts on my own life, spent 4 weeks in a psychiatric unit, was briefly homeless, my relationship broke down, I have only seen my kids erratically. I am now in full time group psychotherapy (under threat of cuts!), in a comfortable flat, trying to rebuild my life. It's going well.

I don't write this to elicit sympathy, but to highlight the importance of the range of public services (police, health, mental health, homelessness, housing) who have made it possible for me to get to New Year's Eve and 2014. My journey has seen me have contact with some remarkable public servants, many of whom have gone way beyond the call of duty.

There was a recent discourse on this forum which saw someone cast doubt on the veracity of the mental health problems in this country. There is also a running commentary on here by some who question the commitment of public sector employees. Well, I'm one of a quarter of the population who will experience mental health issues and one of many who owes their life to those public servants and I shall be eternally grateful.

#20 Grollo

Grollo
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

I don't like to judge a year.

I had problems in 2006 - it was also an enjoyable year.

2012 and 2013 have been difficult. I reached a major low this year.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users