Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Having been plagued and tormented by events of the past and consequent mental health problems, 2013 has been the worst year of my life by some way. I made 3 attempts on my own life, spent 4 weeks in a psychiatric unit, was briefly homeless, my relationship broke down, I have only seen my kids erratically. I am now in full time group psychotherapy (under threat of cuts!), in a comfortable flat, trying to rebuild my life. It's going well.

I don't write this to elicit sympathy, but to highlight the importance of the range of public services (police, health, mental health, homelessness, housing) who have made it possible for me to get to New Year's Eve and 2014. My journey has seen me have contact with some remarkable public servants, many of whom have gone way beyond the call of duty.

There was a recent discourse on this forum which saw someone cast doubt on the veracity of the mental health problems in this country. There is also a running commentary on here by some who question the commitment of public sector employees. Well, I'm one of a quarter of the population who will experience mental health issues and one of many who owes their life to those public servants and I shall be eternally grateful.

You don't need to ask for sympathy.

You don't have to feel weak.

I hit the ultimate low in July.

Any caring community should care for those who are struggling.

Mental health is not a sign of weakness.

Any caring society 

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

You don't need to ask for sympathy.

You don't have to feel weak.

I hit the ultimate low in July.

Any caring community should care for those who are struggling.

Mental health is not a sign of weakness.

Any caring society 

Yes

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Yes

But I want to hide.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

But I want to hide.

But do you need to

And is it a good idea

Keeping it local

#25 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

- Read a few books
- Ate a lot more canned food
- Learnt to knit in a straight line
- Got some keys cut
- Watched the rugby world cup
- Had my gall bladder removed.

I think 2014 will be my midlife crisis year, I'll probably go and live in a shack in Dungeness and paint or write my first novel.

#26 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

But do you need to

And is it a good idea

I know that I don't need to and it is the dumbest idea a human could invent.

I'm brilliant at stupid ideas.

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

2013 was a great year

Health has been good - another year without any sick absences (I had a stinking cold on holiday in Majorca, though)

Fitness has been reasonable, with my new shift patterns enabling me to have a regular, early morning exercise session.

Had an enjoyable Scottish 6 Day event in August in the best orienteering terrain in these islands (Moray).

Work: got my old boss back - a great guy - who is likely to be my manager till I retire; industrial peace broke out, with a reasonable pay increase, an 'agenda for growth' and an effective no strike deal that lasts to the month I retire.

Got to know lots of really great people.

As far as I cam remember I haven't lost anyone...

And gained the latest member of my family - a young Anglo-Irish-Scots-Manx-German-Aussie laddie born in Perth, WA, just a few weeks ago.

Still got the best wee family, in the best wee village, in the best wee country in the world.

2014 is going to be even better!
  • ckn likes this
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#28 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

I think 2014 will be my midlife crisis year, I'll probably go and live in a shack in Dungeness and paint or write my first novel.

I'm no expert, but I think you'd be better off writing it than painting it.

Happy New Year and I'm sure your midlife crisis will be just as much of an anticlimax  as most people's are.

;) :)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Not going to bore anyone with the details (too many) but a really terrible year. I would say I am glad to see the back of it but there are no guarantees that the new one will be any better. But I think it will be in a 'how much worse can it be' sort of way.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#30 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Sorry to hear so many have had a tough time, particularly Weary.

I say as a man who thought it had been a good year, and then struggled to justify that assertion.  The answer is that good physical and mental health are the most important things are they are better than a year ago.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#31 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Sorry to hear so many have had a tough time, particularly Weary.

I say as a man who thought it had been a good year, and then struggled to justify that assertion.  The answer is that good physical and mental health are the most important things are they are better than a year ago.

For me, you can't beat hiking in our wonderful countryside and a real stress buster. My brother-in-law and I get out and about on a regular basis, although sometimes losing the intended route but all good stuff for a hearty laugh. I did once lose both boots in deep mud masked over by grass but managed to retrieve them.  ;)

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

I know that I don't need to and it is the dumbest idea a human could invent.

I'm brilliant at stupid ideas.

Reason doesn't come into it mate

You seem driven by your negative feelings

You aren't on your own 

Pm me if you want

Chris

Keeping it local

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

I've largely avoided the black dog: a plus for me and those around me

The year started out brilliantly with a trip to the states which was invigorating in every way fir me , my wife, my daughter and her partner.

My wife has been bogged down dealing with the complexities of her late father's estate and the people who have crawled out if the woodwork who were rarely seen when he was alive and offered little or no support during the distressing latter part of his life. It was difficult to know how to support her. The year has ended with the sorting out if this grubby mess at last

I divested myself of a lifetime support and quarter century of involvement with my home town rugby league club on various matters of principle and feel better for it. Feck em .

On the whole I'd call that a result

Keeping it local

#34 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

For me, you can't beat hiking in our wonderful countryside and a real stress buster. My brother-in-law and I get out and about on a regular basis, although sometimes losing the intended route but all good stuff for a hearty laugh. I did once lose both boots in deep mud masked over by grass but managed to retrieve them.  ;)

I totally agree about hiking in the countryside and it being stress-busting. As for the mud I used to walk on the south Pennine moors, including trying to cross peat bogs without sinking up to your knees - terrific stuff!

Now I tend to run over moors, through forests, etc. It sounds hard but once you reach a certain standard of fitness you just relax into a rhythm that you can easily maintain and it becomes like a country walk. People often ask me "why don't you take an mp3 player so you can listen to music?", but I find that it's better to just have the natural sounds - the wind, birdsong and various animal noises - and clear my mind of the normal, everyday life. It's great to let your mind wander as well as your body.

Back to stress, though, I actually choose to compete in the forests and moorlands of Scotland most weekends, trying to complete a course using map and compass. Struggling to find pre-determined control points, when you're not exactly sure where you are at that moment, and the clock is ticking awaycan be pretty stressful - especially when you are getting tired because of the physical effort. It's good stress, though, and it's great when you overcome any difficulties.

Right, I'm just being called to go out for a Ne'er Day dog walk in the local countryside (before the rain starts!).
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#35 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Well for me ultimately 2013 I have to put down to being a good year for the simple reason that I managed to survive long enough to see it. 2012 ended with me reaching the 5 year anniversary of being diagnosed with malignant melanoma – at one stage my prognosis was down to  only a 40% chance of lasting that long. But it has come at a price both physically (though I’m getting there now and have started going to the gym again) and mentally. Like others on here, I find myself coping with recurring bouts of depression.

There have been far too many funerals to attend in 2013 for my liking and all for people who were far short of their allotted "three score years and ten". 2014 doesn't look as though it will start much better on that score as my mother-in-law will be lucky to survive until the spring (she is in the latter stages of throat cancer).

Work wise it’s been a bit mixed; I've been on a project that is locally based for the whole year which means I've spent more nights sleeping in my own bed than hotel beds for the first time since 2004. :) The downside has been that it has been not the greatest project to work on managed by people whose idea of project management is to sit back and wait for stuff to go wrong then kick up a big fuss until someone comes along and gives them a solution.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#36 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Very sorry to hear about some of the troubles and worries people have been having on here. I know we have a bit of a laugh and I'm one of the least-liked people on here but I enjoy coming on here and sometimes the posts from the good guys on here keep me sane.

It was a good year for me, settled in one place the whole time in an enjoyable workplace, got a minor promotion that didn't lead to a great deal of extra money or responsibility but meant I was doing something different and my efforts were recognised.

Then in the summer, I finally married the long-suffering missus and had a lovely holiday in Croatia. Autumn was pretty hectic but finished the year well with a week in the English countryside with the folks.

2014 might be trickier as my contract will end soon and I don't see an immediate next step in Brussels. All signs point to London but having never lived there and my 'expertise' not attracting a huge amount in salary terms it's pretty daunting.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#37 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

Very sorry to hear about some of the troubles and worries people have been having on here. I know we have a bit of a laugh and I'm one of the least-liked people on here but I enjoy coming on here and sometimes the posts from the good guys on here keep me sane.

It was a good year for me, settled in one place the whole time in an enjoyable workplace, got a minor promotion that didn't lead to a great deal of extra money or responsibility but meant I was doing something different and my efforts were recognised.

Then in the summer, I finally married the long-suffering missus and had a lovely holiday in Croatia. Autumn was pretty hectic but finished the year well with a week in the English countryside with the folks.

2014 might be trickier as my contract will end soon and I don't see an immediate next step in Brussels. All signs point to London but having never lived there and my 'expertise' not attracting a huge amount in salary terms it's pretty daunting.

I like you.

Having looked over this thread again, I would have to say 2013 was a great year for me too.  I finished poorer with fewer prospects but healthier and happier.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,113 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Not by me you aren't

Keeping it local

#39 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,882 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

I know we have a bit of a laugh and I'm one of the least-liked people on here....

You should try being a RU fan on here....

28m391z.jpg

#40 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

I may not always see eye to eye with some posters but I never dislike anyone on here. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users