Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I dislike Browny. He's my nemesis.

That is two for and one against.  Pretty good going.

In the manbags at dawn, my vote goes for Browny.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#43 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Just Browny is okay by me.

(Of course the **** only made the comment to guage his popularity :) )
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#44 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

You should try being a RU fan on here....

You should try being a rugby league fan with the wrong ideas on here

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#45 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,756 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

I dislike Browny. He's my nemesis.

You need all the friends you can get now you've moved to Hastings.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#46 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Just Browny is okay by me.

(Of course the **** only made the comment to guage his popularity :) )

True, what a ***** ;)

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#47 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

You need all the friends you can get now you've moved to Hastings.

Are you ready for a a battle then?

#48 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

You should try being a rugby league fan with the wrong ideas on here

Come on over to the other side of rugby, you've already conceded that we have much better beer.

28m391z.jpg

#49 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

You're just bitter. Mind you, your top shelf stuff has a lot more kick in it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#50 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Come on over to the other side of rugby, you've already conceded that we have much better beer.

Psst, in Denmark rugby union provides Carsberg and Tuborg.  Rugby league games are supplied a real ale bar.

#51 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Psst, in Denmark rugby union provides Carsberg and Tuborg.  Rugby league games are supplied a real ale bar.

I thought you were still out in the States so really in no position to be commenting on beer  ;)

28m391z.jpg

#52 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I thought you were still out in the States so really in no position to be commenting on beer  ;)

I have been back in Europe for 1 1/2 years now.

THe beer in the USA is far better, except they rather irritatingly believe they invented it and as an Englishman, that I was being introduced to IPA, porter and brown ale for the first time.

#53 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

THe beer in the USA is far better, except they rather irritatingly believe they invented it and as an Englishman, that I was being introduced to IPA, porter and brown ale for the first time.

Oops sorry, I was sure that you were still out in Boston. Actually thinking about it this explains why you keep posting Danish RL stuff on facebook.

It all makes sense now.....

28m391z.jpg

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Good call on the beer

My experience also

I never even saw Budweiser advertised although I'm sure it was and that lots if people were sipping it.

I handsome of the best beer I've ever tasted in the states , although I never experienced the attitude you mention.

Going back for some more next month

Keeping it local

#55 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Good call on the beer

My experience also

I never even saw Budweiser advertised although I'm sure it was and that lots if people were sipping it.

I handsome of the best beer I've ever tasted in the states , although I never experienced the attitude you mention.

Going back for some more next month

It is more when you go into the real hard-core beer places.  There are the ones with a genuine love of good beer, and they would be similar ot such places in England.  However, there have also been a lot of people in the USA who would have become ignorant wine snob who have instead become ignorant beer snobs.  It is a curse England is largely free from.

I used to be a member of the Institute and Guild of Brewing and have a Doctorate in brewing yeast.  In Europe, I have very rarely mentions this in conversations about beer.  When someone dismisses what I say and explains to me how Russian Imperial stout is from Russia, IPA was a forgotten Indian recipe recreated in the USA and is best brewed with "Belgian" yeast, I suddenly feel the over-powering urge to pull rank.  Such people do report back to the USA that craft beer has now reached the UK and we are also having these styles introduced from the US. 

There are also people who just love good beer.

The best way to separate such people is to ask if they have had Westvleteren.  The truth is almost certainly no, as there is not much of it.  The Snob will answer yes and tell you it is the best beer they ever had. 

Edited by Bob8, 04 January 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#56 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

It is more when you go into the real hard-core beer places.  There are the ones with a genuine love of good beer, and they would be similar ot such places in England.  However, there have also been a lot of people in the USA who would have become ignorant wine snob who have instead become ignorant beer snobs.  It is a curse England is largely free from.

I used to be a member of the Institute and Guild of Brewing and have a Doctorate in brewing yeast.  In Europe, I have very rarely mentions this in conversations about beer.  When someone dismisses what I say and explains to me how Russian Imperial stout is from Russia, IPA was a forgotten Indian recipe recreated in the USA and is best brewed with "Belgian" yeast, I suddenly feel the over-powering urge to pull rank.  Such people do report back to the USA that craft beer has now reached the UK and we are also having these styles introduced from the US. 

There are also people who just love good beer.

The best way to separate such people is to ask if they have had Westvleteren.  The truth is almost certainly no, as there is not much of it.  The Snob will answer yes and tell you it is the best beer they ever had. 

Cheers bib. I did of course mean supping nit sipping

Predictive text grrr. We're off to Boston next month and maybe Chicago(I've requested Chicago because I'm a blues man) really looking forward to it, especially the train trips

And of course the beer

Keeping it local

#57 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Cheers bib. I did of course mean supping nit sipping

Predictive text grrr. We're off to Boston next month and maybe Chicago(I've requested Chicago because I'm a blues man) really looking forward to it, especially the train trips

And of course the beer

Boston?

Good ones include Atwoods, for very good beer and bluegrass music http://www.atwoodstavern.com/

J.J. Foleys (chief barman is a Warrington fan) 21 Kingston St, Boston, MA

Right, avoid Lord Hobo and Sunset Grill. ###### and pretentious.

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Small, independent producers have really improved the reputation of American beer (and American cheese). There's some really nice stuff now.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#59 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Boston?

Good ones include Atwoods, for very good beer and bluegrass music http://www.atwoodstavern.com/

J.J. Foleys (chief barman is a Warrington fan) 21 Kingston St, Boston, MA ‎

Right, avoid Lord Hobo and Sunset Grill. ###### and pretentious.

Thanks bob

To be honest when we were in the states I didn't go looking for good beer.

It was just a question of walking into an interesting looking bar and there it was

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 06 January 2014 - 01:30 PM.

Keeping it local

#60 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,180 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

Small, independent producers have really improved the reputation of American beer (and American cheese). There's some really nice stuff now.

In fairness I have had some nice American beers but to date I have never found a half decent American cheese. I always thought that this was a possible gap in the market that some canny European might exploit if he/she could educate the Yanks that cheese does not have to resemble sheets of bendy plastic.

I am not entirely surprised as it's such a vast and varied country with so many influences it's very hard to generalise when talking about America. I've not got any trips to the states planned currently but will most likely be going back to California some time later this year so will try and find some good examples of American cheese.

28m391z.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users