TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,872 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

In fairness I have had some nice American beers but to date I have never found a half decent American cheese. I always thought that this was a possible gap in the market that some canny European might exploit if he/she could educate the Yanks that cheese does not have to resemble sheets of bendy plastic.

I am not entirely surprised as it's such a vast and varied country with so many influences it's very hard to generalise when talking about America. I've not got any trips to the states planned currently but will most likely be going back to California some time later this year so will try and find some good examples of American cheese.

Some information for your next trip - California Artisan Cheese Guild and the the California Cheese Trail.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#62 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I went out all day yesterday and only drunk beer (as in real ale) for the first time in a long while. There are actually some good beers to be had in Bradford, Haighy's on Lumb Lane was pretty good as was The Castle in town. Was pee'd as a fart but feel fine today..I might try that again.

#63 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

2013year.jpg

A dire year or as the Queen puts it an annus horriblis.

- A couple of good friends died well before their time.  FFS.

- A shocking year trying to get my blood pressure sorted, it peaked at 190/140 when still on the strongest dual medication they could give me.  The side effects were utterly horrendous and it was only when I swapped to a different tablet that I noticed how fried they made my brain.  No wonder I struggled badly doing the same stuff I could do with ease the year before.  I'm on daft doses of beta-blockers now to try to control it, the doctor suggested that my stress levels were probably the major cause of the high blood pressure levels.

- My wife still very ill.  Probably going to be that way for at least a couple of years yet but there's at least a way through now that she can see.  Two outstanding consultants have helped and gone above and beyond their duties to make sure she was at least stable and on progress to recover.

- Abysmal work over the year working for some of the most narcissistic, arrogant, back-stabbing people I've ever met in my life.  2014 will be better as I've given all that up and start a new, more local, bit of work that's a 40% daily pay cut but isn't London and cuts my commute from 5 hours a day to 1 hour a day.  That's worth it alone.

- Our best friends are getting a divorce after 22 years of marriage.  It got to the point that I had to tell them both bluntly that the next one to hint that I should choose a side would be the one I'd choose against.

- Savings screwed a bit with some of the ridiculously massive outgoings we've had to pay.  All I can say is that it's turned me even more left wing, it's a bloody good job I can afford to pay them because some of them, especially the £12,000 of healthcare costs for my wife, should have been picked up by the state.  But for my earnings, we'd have been in serious trouble and all because the NHS cuts mean that the NHS simply cannot perform basic services for many areas these days.  My contempt for the Lib Dems has now exceeded that of the Tories because the Tories didn't disappoint me, at least I knew what they were like in advance.

The best thing to say is that we've got through the year in no worse a state than we started it but it's been a very testing year.

I'll post tomorrow on the 2014 New Year Resolutions my plan to fix a number of things there.

2013year.jpg

A dire year or as the Queen puts it an annus horriblis.

- A couple of good friends died well before their time.  FFS.

- A shocking year trying to get my blood pressure sorted, it peaked at 190/140 when still on the strongest dual medication they could give me.  The side effects were utterly horrendous and it was only when I swapped to a different tablet that I noticed how fried they made my brain.  No wonder I struggled badly doing the same stuff I could do with ease the year before.  I'm on daft doses of beta-blockers now to try to control it, the doctor suggested that my stress levels were probably the major cause of the high blood pressure levels.

- My wife still very ill.  Probably going to be that way for at least a couple of years yet but there's at least a way through now that she can see.  Two outstanding consultants have helped and gone above and beyond their duties to make sure she was at least stable and on progress to recover.

- Abysmal work over the year working for some of the most narcissistic, arrogant, back-stabbing people I've ever met in my life.  2014 will be better as I've given all that up and start a new, more local, bit of work that's a 40% daily pay cut but isn't London and cuts my commute from 5 hours a day to 1 hour a day.  That's worth it alone.

- Our best friends are getting a divorce after 22 years of marriage.  It got to the point that I had to tell them both bluntly that the next one to hint that I should choose a side would be the one I'd choose against.

- Savings screwed a bit with some of the ridiculously massive outgoings we've had to pay.  All I can say is that it's turned me even more left wing, it's a bloody good job I can afford to pay them because some of them, especially the £12,000 of healthcare costs for my wife, should have been picked up by the state.  But for my earnings, we'd have been in serious trouble and all because the NHS cuts mean that the NHS simply cannot perform basic services for many areas these days.  My contempt for the Lib Dems has now exceeded that of the Tories because the Tories didn't disappoint me, at least I knew what they were like in advance.

The best thing to say is that we've got through the year in no worse a state than we started it but it's been a very testing year.

I'll post tomorrow on the 2014 New Year Resolutions my plan to fix a number of things there.

take care mate thanks for what you do on here

• ckn likes this
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#64 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Agree entirely..except of course for the left wing bit. Clearly the side effects of the BP medication (I know, as I'm on three of the buggers - hence my Marxism!)

Not been a bad year until I got the news that Ginge has moved to be near my daughter..and grandaughter!!  I'll be watching.  :ohmy:..... :laugh:  

Bad stuff:

- cry for help from bro-in-law who had a breakdown but is rapidly recovering. 

- 93 year old ma-in-law finally taken into a residential care home - good/bad at the same time

-  no improvement in condition of daughters chronic and debilitating condition and the NHS in Hastings isn't helping much 

Good stuff

- great motorcycling tours of Ireland and Black Forest

- great hols following the World Cup

- passed my IAM Green Badge

- customers still place orders with us!

- physio has made progress with my knackered left shoulder

- got a small bonus from the Equitable Life Payment Scheme

#65 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Agree entirely..except of course for the left wing bit. Clearly the side effects of the BP medication (I know, as I'm on three of the buggers - hence my Marxism!)

Not been a bad year until I got the news that Ginge has moved to be near my daughter..and grandaughter!!  I'll be watching.  :ohmy:..... :laugh:  

Bad stuff:

- 93 year old ma-in-law finally taken into a residential care home - good/bad at the same time

-  no improvement in condition of daughters chronic and debilitating condition and the NHS in Hastings isn't helping much 

Good stuff

You a biker? :ohmy:

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#66 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

To be honest it was a ###### one.

We as a family learnt the system in place to look after the innocent doesnt. It protects the guilty.

Both my daughter and me have had to see a psychiatrist. I have and still am suffering deep depression. 

One of my best friends killed himself. He had 5 attempts at doing it. The system completely failed him. He didn't get the help he despertaley needed.

He was in and out of hospital. Never really getting any help.

Glad to see the back of it

#67 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

Bad stuff:

Good stuff

The GP has me taking the beta-blocker and a diuretic now, still not really shifting my blood pressure.  Ah well, it's one of those things, as suggested earlier in the thread, that's an art rather than science.  If I lose the 30lbs of weight in my new year's resolutions that'll help as well!

On your daughter, I hope she gets the help she needs.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#68 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:13 PM

We as a family learnt the system in place to look after the innocent doesnt. It protects the guilty.

Both my daughter and me have had to see a psychiatrist. I have and still am suffering deep depression. 

One of my best friends killed himself. He had 5 attempts at doing it. The system completely failed him. He didn't get the help he despertaley needed.

Four years of very blunt experience with helping my wife with her severe depression have taught me the lesson that you need a complete, professional and supportive team to help you:  A psychiatrist to help with the meds and overall plan, a psychologist/therapist to help with the issues and either a solid family support or a good environment where you'll be encouraged not to ruminate on problems.  My wife's on her 3rd psychiatrist now, the first two were shockingly apathetic about her care even though we were paying them directly, the one she's with now is an absolute star and tailors his treatments rather than "condition A = treatment B" as some others seem to do.  I really wonder sometimes why people go into caring professions when they clearly don't care...  It's quite satisfying "sacking" a poor doctor...

Her therapist (chartered clinical psychologist) is also very good and really has been a life-saver overall, I have six monthly reviews with the two of them (psychiatrist and therapist) where we spend an hour going over my wife's care, where I can fit in, where we can make improvements and so on, the bit that helps me is that they genuinely treat me as a peer in treating my wife rather than the very dismissive way that other clinicians often treat non-clinicians.

The thing that's seriously and mind-blowingly annoying is that the NHS will often pay for nothing bar acute care in mental health and even then will often not have the capacity for that.

Just make sure you look after yourself and don't accept sub-standard treatment.  Happy to help with any experiences I've had in this area either openly or via PM.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#69 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

You a biker? :ohmy:

10,000 miles a year on my Pan European last year, two foreign biking trips a year for seven years excluding the annual trip to Scotland.

(also 88 Munros, Three Peaks of Scotland, England and Wales in 22.5 hours, two marathons...1980 and 1982, much Cairngorm mountain biking.....)  body is complaining now, though...that what happens when you get old.

#70 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

The GP has me taking the beta-blocker and a diuretic now, still not really shifting my blood pressure.  Ah well, it's one of those things, as suggested earlier in the thread, that's an art rather than science.  If I lose the 30lbs of weight in my new year's resolutions that'll help as well!

On your daughter, I hope she gets the help she needs.

One beta blocker (keeps me calm, too, as you will have noticed) , one diuretic, one other...keeps it under control but plays havoc with travel insurance.....but no complaints..I'm better off than many at nearly 68.

#71 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

If I lose the 30lbs of weight in my new year's resolutions that'll help as well!

I started the 5:2 diet yesterday. Went to bed starving last night and carbed up like a weakling today.

:(

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#72 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Four years of very blunt experience with helping my wife with her severe depression have taught me the lesson that you need a complete, professional and supportive team to help you:  A psychiatrist to help with the meds and overall plan, a psychologist/therapist to help with the issues and either a solid family support or a good environment where you'll be encouraged not to ruminate on problems.  My wife's on her 3rd psychiatrist now, the first two were shockingly apathetic about her care even though we were paying them directly, the one she's with now is an absolute star and tailors his treatments rather than "condition A = treatment B" as some others seem to do.  I really wonder sometimes why people go into caring professions when they clearly don't care...  It's quite satisfying "sacking" a poor doctor...

Her therapist (chartered clinical psychologist) is also very good and really has been a life-saver overall, I have six monthly reviews with the two of them (psychiatrist and therapist) where we spend an hour going over my wife's care, where I can fit in, where we can make improvements and so on, the bit that helps me is that they genuinely treat me as a peer in treating my wife rather than the very dismissive way that other clinicians often treat non-clinicians.

The thing that's seriously and mind-blowingly annoying is that the NHS will often pay for nothing bar acute care in mental health and even then will often not have the capacity for that.

Just make sure you look after yourself and don't accept sub-standard treatment.  Happy to help with any experiences I've had in this area either openly or via PM.

I think most people who go into jobs such as Educational Psychologist are stupid, lazy but middle class.  Were they from a working class background, they would aim to be nurses and fail.  The advantages get them into these careers where they are typically liabilities to people who are very vulnerable.  The relatively hige status of the job means they remain with an unrealistic self-image. 

This sounds like a prejudice, but I have encountered it enough without exception to be confident it is a phenomenon.  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#73 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hi Jim,

I've sent you a message.

Ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users