Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New years Honours

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Those recognised by the Queen in the New Year Honours List include doctor who oversaw delivery of Prince George........
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

...and an old friend of our family, who has received a well-deserved M.B.E. for services to the arts. :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

Baron Finkelstein, speechwriter for David Cameron and George Osborne.

That tells us exactly what the Honours System is worth.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

Stuart Cummings

and this.http://www.yorkshire...-list-1-6343511

Google will translate it if you live outside of Yorkshire.

and this  from the Mail, too. Gwan...it won't hurt you to look!

also: http://www.dailymail...years-list.html

Edited by JohnM, 31 December 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Plenty of awards for showbiz people who basically get a gong for just doing their job.

I passed a professional Continuing Competence test a few weeks ago. I think I'll put in for an OBE.

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

If there are enough people who think you do deserve recognition, then send them this link : https://www.gov.uk/honours

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

There is a top strata of people you've probably heard of, then the 'time served' gongs for civil servants et cetera. Then there are a lot of 'local heroes' who have been nominated by people who appreciate their hard work.

Don't devalue the latter just because a particular celeb got a gong or not.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

There is a top strata of people you've probably heard of, then the 'time served' gongs for civil servants et cetera. Then there are a lot of 'local heroes' who have been nominated by people who appreciate their hard work.

Don't devalue the latter just because a particular celeb got a gong or not.

The first two automatically devalue the last, so I don't personally give a monkeys either way.

With my council estate republican heritage, I can't quite see them offering me anything in the forseeable future. Even though I did once give a stranger £10 to get a taxi home ... 2004, I think it was. ;) ;) :biggrin:

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

The first two automatically devalue the last, so I don't personally give a monkeys either way.

With my council estate republican heritage, I can't quite see them offering me anything in the forseeable future. Even though I did once give a stranger £10 to get a taxi home ... 2004, I think it was. ;) ;) :biggrin:

They won't offer you anything. You have to get people to nominate you.

#10 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Honours should be awards for long service only or acts of bravery. A retirement gift if you want.

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

A group of us TRLers could nominate you and if successful, with your council estate republican heritage, you could tell 'em where to stuff it.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Or politely decline...

#13 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

A group of us TRLers could nominate you and if successful, with your council estate republican heritage, you could tell 'em where to stuff it.

Can we nominate appropriate three letter acronyms for the honour to be bestowed?

LUNEW.jpg

#14 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

TOE ??

Can we nominate appropriate three letter acronyms for the honour to be bestowed?

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#15 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Edited by Grollo, 31 December 2013 - 09:26 PM.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#16 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Or politely decline...

A certain Mr Bowie did that.

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Many decline honours; a tedious few decline them as noisily and publicly as they can, to feed their need for self-aggrandisement.

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Many decline honours; a tedious few decline them as noisily and publicly as they can, to feed their need for self-aggrandisement.

The honours system is bent. Surely it's best to undermine it in as loud a fashion as possible.

#19 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Jebus, you can't win.  :D

#20 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

The honours system is bent. Surely it's best to undermine it in as loud a fashion as possible.

You've just noticed something was bent. 

You're off form tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users