Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley cricket club

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

Have been granted £20k by the Area Committee to enable it to become a hub in the community. Apparently they do not own the club house but have it on a lease from Kirklees Council.

#2 windogs

windogs
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

Hi Fred,

Just to set the record straight, Batley Bulldogs pay the lease on the whole estate which is 999years.

#3 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

I believe that the cricket club are a registered charity - i.e. a not profit organisation, which puts them in pole position in terms of grants and the like.

Posted Image

#4 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Regardless when we get the illustrious golden ticket to join the elite division I have my shovel ready to help our board with the midnight car park expansion!

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Regardless when we get the illustrious golden ticket to join the elite division I have my shovel ready to help our board with the midnight car park expansion!

Good job its such a long lease then!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Good job its such a long lease then!

Delighted to see the new year festivities have not blunted your wit!!

#7 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

I have a somewhat vested interest in Batley C.C. My uncle built the scoreboard!! Louis Walshaw Steel Fabricators late of Upper Howard St., and my grandad raised the money. Just thought I'd share that!!

#8 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

I have a somewhat vested interest in Batley C.C. My uncle built the scoreboard!! Louis Walshaw Steel Fabricators late of Upper Howard St., and my grandad raised the money. Just thought I'd share that!!

and the good work has been carried on by,,,,,,,,,,our friends from overseas.........you must be so..............hm?

#9 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Hi Fred,
Just to set the record straight, Batley Bulldogs pay the lease on the whole estate which is 999years.

So if the Bulldogs pay the lease on the whole estate, how come the cricket club are paying the Council to lease the pavilion? - as stated in the story in the Batley news.

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Agree with you there Fred, would have thought if the Bulldogs own the lease on the estate, then they should be the beneficiary of any money donated to said estate and should have a say so in what goes on.

The whole scenario sounds like someone is playing cricket in your back garden, and have just got a grant to do up your garden shed. Id want them evicted from my garden and my shed if i hadnt given permission to obtain a grant and got some brass off them too. (thats if id given them permission to play cricket in my garden and use my shed and charged them rent for doing so in the first place).

A few questions need answering there me thinks - sounds like the cricket club are playing there for nothing and not paying their way, and to top it all off are obtaining grants to do up premises that are presumably owned by the rugby club. In this economic climate im surprised if the club arent charging them rent at the very least.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Probably best not to open this can of worms, Batley RL tried to shaft the Cricket club a few years ago but were left with egg on their faces

#12 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Just as well our friends from o/s don't play Rugby League RPH . No doubt you would play a different tune on your fiddle if they did.

#13 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

I would imagine that Paul Harrison is looking into the situation with regard to the Club's expense and returns. Kevin Nicholas is a solicitor after all!!

#14 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

As Gary Coyle said, this is a well worn path. The cricket club and bowling clubs are entirely separate entities from Batley Bulldogs, despite the fact that they play on land for which our club pays a peppercorn rent - probably at the rate of something like 1p per year. Let them get on with their own business, and good luck to them if they are able to get their hands on any grant money to improve their facilities - as we have done in the past.

Posted Image

#15 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

Bring back saqib murtaza to initiate a few handshakes with the mount mafia

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#16 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Just as well our friends from o/s don't play Rugby League RPH . No doubt you would play a different tune on your fiddle if they did.

not really...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users