Well Run Sports

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

There is a conviction, it seems, that rugby league is unusually badly run.  I think most sports are badly run.

Soccer does not have a great PR machine, it is merely the dominant sport in the country and pretty much always has been.  Still, the training of youth is extremely had (give in a few years and Denmark will start beating England again) and the Premiership had become richmens' baubles.  

Some years ago cricket were alarmed that the sport was disappearing from schools.  They took immediate action and surveys independent school and it turned out everything was fine.  Where would it be without the Ashes?

Rugby union is a basket case, but has strong establishment ties and rich backers.  

Basketball and Ice Hockey try to get traction in the market and fail.  American football looks like giving it a go, with a Franchise model, but messed up last time when it tried to grow from roots.

What team sports have progressed of the last couple of decades without enormous advantages?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#2 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Rugby union is a basket case, but has strong establishment ties and rich backers.  

And that is putting it politely. At the moment English and Welsh clubs are trying to destroy one of the most successful RU tournaments and in doing so completely alienate their respective national unions.

I can sort of understand some of their points but they way they have gone about dealing with this is crazy.

I've recently got into playing badminton as my body can no longer cope with rugby and that from what I can tell seems quite well run. Badminton England seem a fairly well organised bunch but in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty minor sport.

28m391z.jpg

#3 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Go chat to any sport at the grassroots and you will hear lots of moans about the governing bodies.

Lots about loss of accountancy (paid boards taking over voted roles, etc), gripes about paid vs. volunteered work, loss of grassroots, etc.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#4 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Sports that have seen a decent increase in interest in the UK without huge advantages include:

- Roller derby

- Netball

- Cycling

-

Not a huge list.

Edited by Bob8, 03 January 2014 - 05:45 AM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#5 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Dodgeball?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#6 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Cycling?

#7 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

There is a conviction, it seems, that rugby league is unusually badly run.  I think most sports are badly run.

Soccer does not have a great PR machine, it is merely the dominant sport in the country and pretty much always has been.  Still, the training of youth is extremely had (give in a few years and Denmark will start beating England again) and the Premiership had become richmens' baubles.  

Some years ago cricket were alarmed that the sport was disappearing from schools.  They took immediate action and surveys independent school and it turned out everything was fine.  Where would it be without the Ashes?

Basketball and Ice Hockey try to get traction in the market and fail.  American football looks like giving it a go, with a Franchise model, but messed up last time when it tried to grow from roots.

What team sports have progressed of the last couple of decades without enormous advantages?

mmmm The English Premier League is dominant globally. I would suggest they must have some good promotional and marketing team.  They don't need to focus efforts here but have focused to strengthen the leagues and individual team brand elsewhere. Lets not equate England weak international team with having a poor league. After all the likes of Denmark are improving because they have players in the English league.

#8 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Sports that have seen a decent increase in interest in the UK without huge advantages include:

- Roller derby

-

-

-

Not a huge list.

Netball has been growing massively... plus gets high profile sponsors like Fiat, etc.

#9 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

mmmm The English Premier League is dominant globally. I would suggest they must have some good promotional and marketing team.  They don't need to focus efforts here but have focused to strengthen the leagues and individual team brand elsewhere. Lets not equate England weak international team with having a poor league. After all the likes of Denmark are improving because they have players in the English league.

I would suggest it is a great deal to do with being in the right time at the right place and the empire and language connections making the teams global.  I am not sure it was a marketing team following a strategy set out by the FA or Premier League that are responsible for that.

Denmark are improving because the huge organisation behind youth training, a Dane going to England while still in his early teems would be making a mistake, so they tend to go to the Netherlands for training and to England to cash in.  Indeed, while the older generation of Danes still support English clubs, the younger generation follow Danish clubs first and foremost.  I would compare the English Premier league to French rugby union. 

Netball has been growing massively... plus gets high profile sponsors like Fiat, etc.

OK, sounds good.  The sport is heavily established in schools, so it many ways it has been lagging behind.  However, they are doing something right now.  That goes on the list.

#10 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

- Roller derby

- Netball

- Cycling

-

Not a huge list.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

There seems to be very little trace of Netball Superleague despite announcing a new sponsor (Zeo) for 2014. They seem to have no official website and when you go on the England Netball website it states that Premier League 1 is the highest level of club netball in the country.

Has there been some kind of issue with the SL comp?

#12 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

NFL is well run as is AFL and maybe GAA.

#13 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Squash and Racketball seem to go ok.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

almost every sport mentioned has seen governing bodies make decisions that RL fans would claim 'only in RL'.

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,080 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

Rugby league has massive disadvantages that confront those running it

Including a massive and vocal reactionary element within it

The current governing body have made errors and I don't agree with some of their idess

But on the whole they have done a good job

It's the biggest poisoned chalice in've sport is running rugby league

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#16 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

I am only including UK ones in this.  The NFL have done a good job in London recently, but that is still the first steps of a franchise and the organic growth failed.

One of the major issues is running a team sport, as team sports are generally in decline.  Squash is easy to run as it raquetball and neither have attracted crowds as far as I am aware.

LAM also points out that rugby league has great disadvantages. 

For now the list stays at three.

#17 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

From a similar thread on a Speedway forum;

http://www.speedway-...ic=68862&page=1

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

Rugby league has massive disadvantages that confront those running it

Including a massive and vocal reactionary element within it

The current governing body have made errors and I don't agree with some of their idess

But on the whole they have done a good job

It's the biggest poisoned chalice in've sport is running rugby league

I have read and heard people from other sports praising the management of Rugby League in this country very highly indeed. Not that this will change the minds of the joke/farce/Nigel-is-fat tendency.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

It's done well to align with the growth of women's sports participation and groups like the Women's Sport and Fitness Foundation.  There's also more sponsorship and development money available for women's sports than in the past and a growing audience.

I like that - from the outside at least - it looks like there's a good balance between internationals, franchised elite division and a pyramid for participation from social/rec leagues to high-standard 'amateur'.

There are probably still some people who have a go at them though.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,209 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

One sport I would like to see expand in the education sector is Cheerleading. So many school-age girls dislike sport and avoid it like the plague; however, they love dancing. Cheerleading could bridge that gap and get them to do some positive exercise. It's also something that can be practised for enjoyment in their own time.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users