Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Well Run Sports

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

One sport I would like to see expand in the education sector is Cheerleading. So many school-age girls dislike sport and avoid it like the plague; however, they love dancing. Cheerleading could bridge that gap and get them to do some positive exercise. It's also something that can be practised for enjoyment in their own time.

That is a very good point.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#22 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

One sport I would like to see expand in the education sector is Cheerleading. So many school-age girls dislike sport and avoid it like the plague; however, they love dancing. Cheerleading could bridge that gap and get them to do some positive exercise. It's also something that can be practised for enjoyment in their own time.

Maybe it could be combined with darts for the girls.

#23 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

I don't mean to be a party pooper but on the international front I personally don't think that RL has been well run at all. In the last 30 to 40 years cricket and union have expanded massively as international sports and football is just getting bigger and bigger with declines in very few countries (Austria?). In the meantime in league PNG, Wales and until very recently France seem to be lagging further and further behind Australia and England. Only New Zealand are pushing forward and even gaining on the other two.
I don't mean to sound negative but it was my experience of the 1995 World Cup the first lit my interest in rugby league. This year's World Cup was fantastic but it did not represent a massive step forward from 1995. Cricket and rugby union seem almost unrecognisable as world sports from the 70s and 80s. It was not that long ago when people were saying that football would never takeoff in the United States.
I really don't mean to sound negative but I really think some sort of long term plan should be put in place to develop the international game.
Anyway happy New Year everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users