Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Neighbours

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,699 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Reading about a programme on tonight about people not knowing their neighbours today. Where do you stand on this?
Whilst I am pretty friendly and get on with pretty much all my neighbours, I must say I don't want to get too friendly with them. I cannot be doing with people sticking their oar in. So I can see the sense in being a bit offhand with people. That's probably the wrong word but...

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#2 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

We've lived in the same semi for the past 18 years, and have been so fortunate to have had two middle aged single ladies on either side. One has sadly now moved due to ill health, but another elderly (mid 60s I think) couple have moved in and we have already built up a decent relationship with them.

The lady on the other side of my house has become a lovely and valued friend who we invite to all 'family' occasions is the 'auntie' to our two children.

I think we've been incredibly lucky and would dread a young family moving in either side of us which I presume will happen at some point in the next 20 years.

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Our Stu has appalling neighbours either side. On one particular day, I called to put some garden waste in his green bin. Getting back to the car, I noticed a few ants crawling on the bedsheet in the boot and so shook it in the road. Driving away, I noticed the women next door glaring at me from her doorway. I decided to turn back to see what all the fuss was about. On asking her if there was a problem, she said in a bitter voice that I had been shaking muck outside her garden. I did say that there wasn't any muck, just a few ants. She then replied: "Well next time shake the ants in front of your son's house". As for our neighbour, we call often for a cuppa and a chat. That said, people can die in their homes nowadays and the body left there for days because no neighbours call. 

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

We've lived in the same semi for the past 18 years, and have been so fortunate to have had two middle aged single ladies on either side. One has sadly now moved due to ill health, but another elderly (mid 60s I think) couple have moved in and we have already built up a decent relationship with them.

The lady on the other side of my house has become a lovely and valued friend who we invite to all 'family' occasions is the 'auntie' to our two children.

I think we've been incredibly lucky and would dread a young family moving in either side of us which I presume will happen at some point in the next 20 years.

As a young family once upon a time, we loved our then elderly neighbours. With having no bathroom due to renovation, 80-year old Bill would let us use his bath. In return, my wife would take a meal round on Fridays and help with the shopping. If a young family does move next door then remember that you might just need them one day in an emergency. Thinking about it, you could end up with nasty older neighbours. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 02 January 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

By and large, we have a pretty good community on my street. It's possibly the most multicultural in Bradford ... English, Hindu, Sikh, Italian, Croatian, Nigerian, Polish, muslim and me. My Hindu next door neighbour has a spare key to my house and I have a spare key for my English next door neighbours' house. However, I've lived here for over twenty years and I don't know many other neighbours' names; we just say hello.

However:

My next door Hindu neighbours have an extended six-bedroom house that accommodates members from three generations .... a husband and wife plus two children, his mother and disabled sister. In addition,  his brother has come up from London. His wife has been round tonight to say that three yobbos had been checking out her brother-in-laws BMW this afternoon and had tried hassling her mother-in-law (aged about eighty) to give them the keys to the BMW. She had enough sense to go inside and lock the door. Apparently other people had seen them wandering around looking into peoples gardens etc. so I have been asked to keep my eye out tomorrow as I am working from home all day.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users