Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

If this story has legs it will do more damage than good for this event.
The last thing it needs is players that have been retired for 10 years coming back to try their hand with a squad full of junior players.

Former Sydney Roosters captain Brad Fittler has indicated he will come out of retirement to play for his old club in the Auckland Nines.

News Corp Australia reported on Thursday that Fittler was poised to make a comeback with the Roosters at the NRL's new pre-season tournament.

Fittler later acknowledged on Twitter the speculation was correct.

"Pumped about given the opportunity to play again for the roosters. Demi has been keeping me fairly fit. #icebath," the rugby league great posted.

The deal is yet to be rubber stamped by the NRL.

"We'll be investigating the proposal with the NRL when they reopen on Monday," Roosters chief operating officer Brian Canavan told News Corp.

Fittler will be 42 when the two-day tournament starts in New Zealand on February 15.

He played the last of his 336 first-grade games in 2004, then coached the Roosters from 2007-2009.

http://wwos.ninemsn....aspx?id=8778854

Many NRL fans are skeptical of these type of events as in the past similar tournaments were stacked with young Junior speedsters that were largely unknown by the bulk of the fans and the games died the death, hopefully this is some sort of promotional joke.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,911 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't mind seeing the past legends of the game showing their skills In fact, the flood relief 'Legends of Origin' match from a couple of years ago was impressive and hugely enjoyable.

But this is not the tournament for it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Pretty much my thoughts, I was more disappointed than happy to read that yesterday. He is a legend but it would devalue the competition itself should he turn out.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Devalues the tournament for me and smacks of gimmicky.

#5 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Surely it's just a publicity stunt to raise the profile of the tournament, or at least I hope it is for his sake. why would he potentially want to sour the great reputation he has in the game?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#6 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

It will make the tournament a joke if he plays. The event should be taken seriously.

#7 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

The whole things a gimmick anyway.

Let the lad play if he wants to, and good luck to him.

• CGD likes this

#8 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:35 AM

Freddy will be playing because he wants to.

Irrespective of what the media club statement says , you always here legends in their television commentators roles get nostalgic for one more go around ( until they see a big hit and that's what deters them ).

Filltler is one of the great minds of rugby league , I just think the temptation to show up some of the games present play makers has got to Freddy.

Good on him.....perhaps........he is suffering Ali Syndrome and wants one more go around one time to many.....

Edited by mt smart, 04 January 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#9 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:05 AM

Agree with Simmo.

The whole tournament is a gimmick (a gimmick I'm very grateful for and excited about), let him play. Let Joey and Lockyer play too.

Unless this becomes a full strength event, the it's just a fun way to market our game. Let's have fun.

#10 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

The whole bloody things a gimmick anyway.

Let the lad play if he wants to, and good luck to him.

Totally disagree.

A successful nines tournament could see an area of the game introduced that may appeal to a new generation of players, much in the same way as sevens has done for Union.  As much as I like and admire Freddie, I believe to be a success, this competition needs to be taken seriously by all the teams who enter.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#11 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

I'm traveling 1,100 k to watch this comp so don't want to be watching Fittler thank you.

#12 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

Totally disagree.

A successful nines tournament could see an area of the game introduced that may appeal to a new generation of players, much in the same way as sevens has done for Union.  As much as I like and admire Freddie, I believe to be a success, this competition needs to be taken seriously by all the teams who enter.

Nonsense.

It's a short order version of the real thing, and should never be seen as anything other than that. Do you really want RL to end up with some God awful 7's tournament like our over-hyped cousins?

RL is a game played by 13 players, and any other format is just a pure devaluation of the sport.

#13 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

Nonsense.

It's a short order version of the real thing, and should never be seen as anything other than that. Do you really want RL to end up with some God awful 7's tournament like our over-hyped cousins?

RL is a game played by 13 players, and any other format is just a pure devaluation of the sport.

Nonsense.

If RL 9's made as half an impression as union 7's have done for their sport then I'm all for it. The Warriors will win this and we have Wigan to thanks for that.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

i think the warriors would be favorites without tomkins help.....shaun johnson and under 20s halfback tuimoala lolohea are going to rip the auckland 9s apart...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#15 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Nonsense.

Soccer has five-a-side, rugby union has sevens. 

When thirteens can be played, great, but nines is far easier to get started.  Not have the sport played in any form is how you devalue it (whatever that is supposed to mean).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#16 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

i think the warriors would be favorites without tomkins help.....shaun johnson and under 20s halfback tuimoala lolohea are going to rip the auckland 9s apart...

The Warriors have some fine talents, I saw this kid Tui Lolohea on national tv playing in the national rugby union sevens for his high school team in 2012 and the kid can play footy.

#17 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

If fittler does play his lack of pace will soon be exposed. There is no hiding place when you play 7s or 9s.

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

The Warriors have some fine talents, I saw this kid Tui Lolohea on national tv playing in the national rugby union sevens for his high school team in 2012 and the kid can play footy.

i saw him in a couple of games in the holden cup,the semis last season...he scored 4 against souths iirc...

you know when you see a player for the first time and you think...."christ"....hes good....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#19 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Soccer has five-a-side, rugby union has sevens. 

When thirteens can be played, great, but nines is far easier to get started.  Not have the sport played in any form is how you devalue it (whatever that is supposed to mean).

But Nine's is not RL is it, so your point doesn't make any sense.

#20 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

But Nine's is not RL is it, so your point doesn't make any sense.

How is it not RL ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users