Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#201 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

That is very optimistic mate.

The Cowboys will be nowhere near IMO, the Warriors? which team will turn up each week, they are so hit and miss it must be a Bookies nightmare.

You never know in the NRL, any team could come out of the blocks at 100mph.

Yes but you have forgot one thing, ? You heard of a bloke called Paul Green. ? He just won two Queensland cup finals before taking over the Cows job, and he already has silverware in the cupboard, expect him to add to that, or go very close. No ,,,,Cows warriors final, mark my words. Catch you later. 

#202 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Yes but you have forgot one thing, ? You heard of a bloke called Paul Green. ? He just won two Queensland cup finals before taking over the Cows job, and he already has silverware in the cupboard, expect him to add to that, or go very close. No ,,,,Cows warriors final, mark my words. Catch you later. 

Paul Green is a fine Coach (in the lower grades) but he can only work with the "Cows" on his roster.
He does not have the "Cattle" to win the NRL IMO.

I would not back the Warriors for anything, they are flakey, underachievers.

Edited by boxhead, 17 February 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#203 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I really enjoyed what I saw of the Auckland 9s. As has been suggested elsewhere - and this isn't union bashing! - it works better as a game than 7s, which is a little too open. I'd love to see our Magic Weekend as a 9s comp too.

9s also has a benefit for those of us who have to battle for the TV remote. I could watch an entire game and only have to put up with 18 minutes of "I WANT CBEEBIES" before eventually ceding control. In my book, that goes down as a win.

#204 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

What interested me about Sam's performance was how he didn't stretch his legs at any time in the way he used to in 2012. Indeed I cannot remember the last time he scored a long range try - were there any last year? If he has some injury problem then perhaps he'll have to play in the halves and rely on darts, organisational ability and his passing game. Which could still work out well for England and the Warriors as he's a fantastic all round player.

I was a bit disappointed by Sam on the 2nd day, it was almost like he lacked the confidence to run at them. For some reason he does seem to have muted his running game somewhat. 

#205 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Apologies if this has already been posted: NRL stars queue up for 2015 tournament

"Rugby league's biggest names, including Greg Inglis, are set to commit to next year's NRL Nines after the stunning success of the inaugural event.

Due to the late season finish of last year's World Cup a number of NRL superstars were rested from this year's Auckland tournament.

But players will have plenty more time to rest up at the end of this season before next year's edition.

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire said Inglis and Issac Luke were among two of his players he had to hold back from playing in the two-day event at Eden Park.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#206 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

I was a bit disappointed by Sam on the 2nd day, it was almost like he lacked the confidence to run at them. For some reason he does seem to have muted his running game somewhat. 

What happened to Sam on day two ?

NRL adjustment.

We were melting in the heat in the stands sitting on our chuffs drinking ice cool drinks and wearing Mexican Sombrero's.

By Day two I could only lift one token arm for a Mexican Wave round ( the drinking arm , never fails me ).

The Cowboys trained in the hottest Rugby weather in the world.

They watched the Warriors , so did the other teams , it was apparent that if you put two players on Tomkins and Johnson and slow their play the ball down ( especially Tomkins play the ball ) the Warriors had very little left.

The Question going into this was ' will a Thirteens style team or a sevens style team win it '

Three of the four finalists were thirteens styled teams. The two grand finalists were pure thirteens styled teams.

Next year the NZW will have to back Tomkins and Johnson up with their Thirteens forwards.

Mateo is essential , that gives them another play maker to take the heat of ST & SJ

Mannering is essential ( Like Including Lockers in a Wigan Nines team )

Matulino would have matched Tamou , Taumalolo and Fuifui moi moi , the three stand out Forwards of the tournament.

Next year Tomkins and Johnson will have to be fully supported with the real deal forwards to have any chance.....already the Rabbitohs are talking about G.I.  and the Roosters will reassess things if they don't win any thing ( i.e. the premiership ) .

Edited by mt smart, 17 February 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#207 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

I watched a fair number of highlights from the NRL YouTube channel* last night. Excellent entertainment, and as Mt Smart says, next time the clubs will have an idea of how to play the most effective game.

*over 100 clips just related to the Nines!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#208 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Last word on 9's is that after taking 3days to watch the action back I felt a little weary with a slight sense of overkill, the semi's and final showed this. If we were 2do this in uk I'd go with 4 groups of 3, play each other once, group winners thru to semi and then final. Group matches on day1 and semi and final + any other rep matches if wanted.

#209 Kiwi-Capper_merged

Kiwi-Capper_merged
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

There has been talk in the media over here that next time it wil be extended over 3 days to avoid injury & player burn-out.

#210 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

There has been talk in the media over here that next time it wil be extended over 3 days to avoid injury & player burn-out.

That will be great like some of the union 7's having a three day tournaments means you can bring in more teams and have less games a day and more rest for players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users