Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#41 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

I loved his quote "let the young lads run at me" - they won't need to you daft old sod, they'll run into that massive amount of space on a 9s pitch.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#42 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

If it was a serious competition with big name players making up half of a Clubs team surrounded by young  up and coming speedsters it could be a great event.

I can not see what Fittler adds to the mix other than making it a bit of a novelty joke event. I would have no interest in buying a ticket.

In the early days of the Sevens years ago it captured the fans imagination  to some extent, but as it developed it became a lesser valued event that was stacked with young fast kids almost straight from School that no one even knew and were touch football speedsters, who is going to pay to see these guys?

You can see that sort of game at any local Oval in Australia for free every winter weekend at a Schoolboys match.

Edited by boxhead, 07 January 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#43 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

9s has its place and should be utilized....and used as a development tool to help bridge the gap to the 13man game...

thats exactly how the IRB are using 7s..i dare say the IRB looked at our world 7s in the early 90s and a light flicked on.....they picked up the ball after we dropped it imo...

The Hong Kong 7's started in 1976

The Rugby League World Sevens were held at Parramatta Stadium from 1988 

Edited by boxhead, 07 January 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#44 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Has anybody heard if Premier Sports have picked up the TV rights to show the Auckland 9's?

Premier have shown the "All Stars" game in previous seasons, would they be willing to show 2 days of solid live RL?  I for one would love to watch it!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#45 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Premier sports announced today they are showing the 9's, and also possibly showing the Wigan V NZ Warriors game prior to the WCC..

This type of comp is all about fun and showcasing the attacking brilliance of RL.. As long as there a guaranteed number of top line players in each squad i think it will be great to watch. That being said its great to see the young kids who will form the next crop of superstars in the NRL.

The old Coca-Cola/Nissan 7's became a platform for plenty of players to go on and forge decent RL careers who probably wouldn't have been brought to peoples attention if not for the 7's.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 07 January 2014 - 02:33 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#46 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,722 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Premier sports announced today they are showing the 9's, and also possibly showing the Wigan V NZ Warriors game prior to the WCC..

Great stuff!

#47 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

I love Premier Sports!  Their subscription becomes even better value.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#48 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

STEVE Menzies will consider following in Brad Fittler's footsteps and make a shock comeback in the Auckland Nines.

Following the announcement that Fittler will come out of retirement to play for the Roosters in the inaugural tournament at 42, there has been speculation "Beaver" may also have a run.

"No one has asked me to play but it is Manly and I would definitely have to consider it," Menzies said yesterday.

Read more: http://www.dailytele...6#ixzz2ptrqePTq

They will kill this concept before it even kicks off at this rate.

#49 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

beaver could still play NRL if he wanted....so hardly the same a fittler...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#50 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

beaver could still play NRL if he wanted....so hardly the same a fittler...

But what will a player like Beaver or Fittlers  bring to a game of nines?

Its a fast game where most of the players will be backs, not 100kg plus retired old men.

The fact he does not play for an NRL Club the same as Fittler doesn't should automatically rule him out.

It should be renamed the Auckland nines Circus the way its heading.

#51 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

It should be renamed the Auckland nines Circus the way its heading.

You won't be watching it then?
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#52 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

beaver is exactly the type of forward you'd pick for 9s....

OLDHAM RLFC

#53 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

It's an exhibition, let the lad play.

#54 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

beaver is exactly the type of forward you'd pick for 9s....

Why is that? 

Any player representing an NRL Club should be on that Clubs books for the season.

Edited by boxhead, 10 January 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#55 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

It's an exhibition, let the lad play.

The last time this concept was played as the "Sevens" in 2004 it ended like this.

2004: tournament ceases[edit]

The lead-up to the 2004 tournament was disrupted by setbacks for the World Sevens. Some NRL clubs withdrew their top players. Steve Folkes, the Bulldogs coach, attacked the event, arguing that it put his players at risk of injury.[4]Other clubs including the Wests Tigers, Parramatta and Manly continued to support the event by fielding strong sides.[4] ARL chairman Colin Love threatened to change the rules to make it compulsory for all clubs to have their top players participate, and stated that any club which refused to do so could be hit with sanctions that involved them not being invited to participate in the following year's competition.[4]

The competition's standing was further weakened by news that Channel 9 would only be broadcasting a limited highlights television programme in areas of New South Wales and Queensland, despite having rights to show the event live.[4][5]

Ultimately, the fact that the 2004 tournament drew 15,000 fewer fans than the previous year led to the tournament being axed.

Edited by boxhead, 10 January 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#56 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Why is that?

well you wouldn't waste a forward spot by picking a fat pudding like george rose would you...lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#57 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

well you wouldn't waste a forward spot by picking a fat pudding like george rose would you...lol

Why would you pick any forwards?

You would pick 100kgs backs as forwards and have them feed the fastest men at your Club out wide.

Edited by boxhead, 10 January 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#58 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

From the little I have read about it, it was always going to be a circus with only New Zealand taking it seriously, and so these rumours are a desperate attempt to drum up publicity and interest into what looks like being a lame duck.

#59 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

The difference between this tournament and the last Sevens / Nines events in the Aussie comp is the money on offer , the full backing of the NRL , and the stipulations about minimum playing talent in each clubs team.

They will get paid 90,000 minimum for showing up, all expenses paid.

Compare that to hosting a pre season trial match which for most NRL teams runs at a loss and starts their Annual balance sheets in the negative.

Thereafter if you make the final four you get a large chunk of money , more profit than most clubs will see in a regular season game.

Down to the last eight , knowing you're within striking distance of that money , most Clubs will change their attitude after the initial opening games.

The NZ Warriors are not the only club taking the tournament seriously , the cash strapped Sharks are talking a full strength Side.

Penrith are well placed to field a awesome team for that type of game.

As for Old Fittler and a few other names being bandied about.....the publicity generated , getting the Nines talked about in any capacity is worth the gamble.

People will watch out of curiosity , one old guy and a few half committed clubs won't ruin a one city one tournament in one weekend extravaganza.

The bottom line is clubs will see sense when the Prize money is paid out.

Sam Tomkins adds a whole other dimension , it's a brilliant platform to launch his brand of football from.

I can't wait

#60 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

What sort of awesome team can Penrith field?

Tomkins will be found out in the NRL like he has been at Test level.

The concept of the "Nines" or "Sevens" is hard to sell in my opinion.

What is it and why should I watch it?

It is like the "fastest" man in League rubbish they used to have, when its first graders you see every week it has some interest, when its a bunch of fast unknown fringe or Junior players it means what?

NOT MUCH...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users