Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#61 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

What sort of awesome team can Penrith field?

Tomkins will be found out in the NRL like he has been at Test level.

The concept of the "Nines" or "Sevens" is hard to sell in my opinion.

What is it and why should I watch it?

It is like the "fastest" man in League rubbish they used to have, when its first graders you see every week it has some interest, when its a bunch of fast unknown fringe or Junior players it means what?

NOT MUCH...

Naiqama , Idris , Whare , Simmons , Mansour,

Penrith have a roster built for this form of the game.

There is a bigger picture than you are acknowledging in my opinion and that is this tournament ( mainly the move to NZ ) will offer far more promotion of the NRL than a preseason trial game that would have been played in it's stead.

Purest's  need to consider the Kids and generic sports fans before dismissing this format out of hand.

#62 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

The concept of the "Nines" or "Sevens" is hard to sell in my opinion.
What is it and why should I watch it?
It is like the "fastest" man in League rubbish they used to have, when its first graders you see every week it has some interest, when its a bunch of fast unknown fringe or Junior players it means what?

NOT MUCH...

It has not been a hard sell at all. Ticket sales have been fantastic.

#63 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

I agree it'll be a good launch pad for Sam, if he's over his knee problems that is. In the form he showed the first half of 2013 he'd go very well indeed.

#64 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

It has not been a hard sell at all. Ticket sales have been fantastic.

Three Million dollars in Profit from sales to date with a month to go before the tournament

The highest profit margin in NZ rugby league History three times over. 

#65 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

But what will a player like Beaver or Fittlers  bring to a game of nines?

Its a fast game where most of the players will be backs, not 100kg plus retired old men.

The fact he does not play for an NRL Club the same as Fittler doesn't should automatically rule him out.

It should be renamed the Auckland nines Circus the way its heading.

It brings news and hence media attention which helps drive the promotion of the event. It don't matter how much time or whether they play for the organizers it brings attention they hope will bring increased sales. 

#66 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

I've merged two separate threads relating to the Auckland Nines, and removed a bunch of posts that were just people slagging each other off.

Please use this thread to discuss all aspects of the Auckland Nines, pros and cons of the event itself, team selections, etc. but stay clear of personal insults or belittling the opinions of those you disagree with, or you may find you can no longer post on this forum at all for a while.

Thank you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#67 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

Can you explain how Tomkins has been found out at test level because I fail to see why.

He got beat to a ball by Greg Inglis (probably the most athletically gifted player the sport has seen) and dropped 1 ball in the 2011 4N final but his ability under the high ball has much improved.

How else has he been shown up at test level? I'd honestly like to know as I have the stats and video footage which suggests otherwise.

If Tomkins were to play in the 9's or when he plays in the NRL he will excel. Despite playing against the Aussie supermen which don't exist.

Edited by RSN, 13 January 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#68 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Can you explain how Tomkins has been found out at test level because I fail to see why.

He got beat to a ball by Greg Inglis (probably the most athletically gifted player the sport has seen) and dropped 1 ball in the 2011 4N final but his ability under the high ball has much improved.

How else has he been shown up at test level? I'd honestly like to know as I have the stats and video footage which suggests otherwise.

If Tomkins were to play in the 9's or when he plays in the NRL he will excel. Despite playing against the Aussie supermen which don't exist.

I watched a clip of Tomkins first training yesterday.

Looks like he is very much running the show with the New Zealand Warriors attack from the get go.

The New Zealand Warriors are an ad lib football side , they walk an uncomfortable balance between their natural flair and coaching structures , you will see them characteristically click and tear sides apart then lose their way and give up the big leads in games worse than any team the NRL has had.

Individually they have power runners who they are guilty of using to barge over people when they run out of places to go.

What they need is Sam Tomkins.

1) Vision

2) Experience 

3) Smooth ball distribution to weapons in their three quarter line like Hurrell and Vatuvei.

Tomkins will bring a lot more with his own running game , this just adds to his ability to make space for some of the power runners and speed men in the Warriors backline.

Sam Tomkins Southern Warriors are going to rip the other fifteen NRL clubs outside defence apart. 

Give it a couple of months for him to drill them into his Wigan stuff and look out.

Edited by mt smart, 13 January 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#69 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Do we know what position the warriors will be playing him?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#70 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

I think most people saw that line as blatant trolling and ignored it, rather than accepted it.  He has done well at test level, which is widely known as several people have witnessed the tests live and by television.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Personally I though Tomkins was average in the World Cup, probably his biggest stage so far, and it will be interesting to see whether he can step up to the next level at this stage of his career, but I certainly don't think it can be said he has been found out.

#72 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Do we know what position the warriors will be playing him?

Nothing confirmed yet but I've followed the NZWarriors since their inception and keep a very close ear to the Ground.

He will play Fullback if he chooses , that's my best guess based on the Following :

Key phrase is if he chooses.......he is very much in the box seat in terms of where he plays by virtue of the lengths the NZWarriors have gone to to secure his signature.

When Matt Elliot , our coach came here his Mantra numero uno was competition for spots.

We are a one nation club , we have the highest promotion rate of local players in the NRL.

Elliot talked about a problems with that and called it problems in the DNA and the furniture of the place.

Sam Tomkins as all are aware required very special negotiations between Wigan and NZ to secure his signature.

NZ bent over backwards to KeepTomkins signing the worst kept secret in the NRL , even though it would have been tempting to leak to the media in 2013......a year of turmoil for the Franchise and dissent from the fans.

NZ said nothing on the Tomkins rumors , that was entirely about keeping Sam and Wigan happy.

The world record transfer fee underlines that the NZW are prepared to have Sam whatever it takes.

Ergo if he wants Fullback he gets it.

Sams arrival at Fullback creates a plethora of options at half ( including one Kevin Locke who is an ex stand off.....Elliots been quoted as much when asked about what happens to Kev with Sam here )

A lot has been written about the Warriors having two international Fullbacks before Tomkins arival , but a similar log Jam is created in the halves ( if you are thinking Halves for Tomkins ).

Shaun Johnson is a dead cert in the halves , recent recruit Chad Townsend from Cronulla is pushing hard for the spot , Thomas Leuluai was the stand off last year....Pita Godinet was also given an extension as halves cover before the Wildcats pinched him.

Lastly Kevin Locke may have done his ACL in training today ( scans have been ordered ) which would place Glen Fisiahi the Tongan international fb and Sam in a head to head for the spot.

Based on all I have seen in these many years of backing the club , Sam will get what he wants.

#73 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Personally I though Tomkins was average in the World Cup, probably his biggest stage so far, and it will be interesting to see whether he can step up to the next level at this stage of his career, but I certainly don't think it can be said he has been found out.

Obviously i followed Tomkins as have many NZW fans at the WC.

I also watched all of his games this year.

Ive seen him play live in NZ once.

Tomkins enigma ( along with so many other great players ) has been not show casing club form at international level.

There are two possibilities.

The favored argument of being found out ( I realise you are not using that one ) and the probability that the players club persona isn't utilised by the National team coach

I was more than happy with what I saw of Tomkins in the WC , namely when England went to him they had options ,  when they went away from that , they had other options which were arguably less fruitful. 

Edited by mt smart, 14 January 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#74 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

To be fair, and I'm happy to be corrected by Wigan fans who saw more of him, but I don't think it was his best SL season either, with a fair few games missing.

That said, the sign of a class player is where he can be average but then pop up and do something brilliant out of the blue, which he does.

#75 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Looking forward to the tournament.

Premier Sports are covering all games on UK t v.

Hope Andrew Voss is on the comentary  :rap:

Edited by alan30058, 14 January 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#76 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Three Million dollars in Profit from sales to date with a month to go before the tournament

The highest profit margin in NZ rugby league History three times over. 

Can the Bradford Bulls have some money, please?!

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#77 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:39 AM

There is a lot of talk in New Zealand sporting Circles with the Rugby league nines being played within a week of the Rugby union Sevens.

Remarkably the sevens which usually sells out by this time of year is still well short of a sell out.

The debut of the Rugby league comp which is taking the Union market on head to head is being blamed.

#78 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,894 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

There is a lot of talk in New Zealand sporting Circles with the Rugby league nines being played within a week of the Rugby union Sevens.

Remarkably the sevens which usually sells out by this time of year is still well short of a sell out.

The debut of the Rugby league comp which is taking the Union market on head to head is being blamed.

If that is the case, that's quite remarkable for New Zealand and good news for Rugby League.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#79 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

I saw a tweet from the mad butcher saying only 4000 tickets left for the nines!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#80 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

I saw a tweet from the mad butcher saying only 4000 tickets left for the nines!

Seriously ? geepers all but gone then.

The Mad Butcher is ....Sir ( services to Rugby league ) Peter Leitch owned a Butchery chain called the Mad Butchers. 

If he says there are four thousand tickets left......there are four thousand tickets left.

He is a gruff , working class , big personality of the NZ league scene.

When the NZ Warriors were having their testimonial function last year amidst the Tomkins rumor.....the Butcher said to our Ceo " Wayne cut the #### and tell the fans if Tomkins has signed , they deserve to know "

Has he signed or not ? 

Wayne :  yes

Just had a look myself for an update Last Tweet 1800 tickets to go !

They're going out the door by the secound

Edited by mt smart, 16 January 2014 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users