Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Auckland Nines (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#101 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

Right on oikee, they also got more than 22,000 to an AFL game there last year.

#102 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

This has to be a whine up and has no place in NZ media. There's many events happening in Wellington at this time of the year and the fact that the NRL is in Auckland has no issues at all. AucklaI don't nd, Christchurch, Hamilton and Dunedin bit for the IRB 7's and loss out to Wellington again but there is a huge demands in NZ cities for events like the IRB 7's or NRL 9's and thanks to the Wellington 7's organizers and party hemisphere for that. 

I don't want to have a league versus Union debate and I think you are mistaking the facts in that article for a league versus union argument.

The article does invite a sense of a war between League and Union ( let us not enter into that ) but how I accept it is on the basis that League and Union are competing Businesses , and in the same fashion that global corporations adopt Sun Tzus art of war principles , that article merely paints the truth in militaristic Language.

Let the last word go to market value.......

Check out Trade me NZ the online sales site for a pure financial non union V League comparison of ticket sales in real time.

At time of posting there are twenty two NRL Nines Listings for tickets.

The Wellington 7's tournament 's listing numbers are in the several hundreds.

That's the facts , the NRL Nines has outstripped the Sevens a very long way.

The sevens has been hugely successful , the NRL nines has every right to celebrate this success in outstripping a premier sports event like the sevens in it's debut year.

It's a massive win for Rugby league

Edited by mt smart, 01 February 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#103 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Jesus they are charging top dollar for it.

http://www.nrl.com/D...76/Default.aspx

It will mainly be a Junior side with handful of first graders in the squad for most teams and its sold out... Well done to the Promoters.

The Kiwis must love this sort of stuff, if it was in Sydney it would be at Parramatta Stadium for $10 a ticket, Family discount for $20.

Have the NRL teams been announced yet?

Edited by boxhead, 01 February 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#104 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Jesus they are charging top dollar for it.
http://www.nrl.com/D...76/Default.aspx

It will mainly be a Junior side with handful of first graders in the squad for most teams and its sold out... Well done to the Promoters.

The Kiwis must love this sort of stuff, if it was in Sydney it would be at Parramatta Stadium for $10 a ticket, Family discount for $20.

Have the NRL teams been announced yet?

what are the rules on what players have to be involved again?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#105 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

what are the rules on what players have to be involved again?

You have to include some first grade players and at least one 40 year old retired player?

#106 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I don't want to have a league versus Union debate and I think you are mistaking the facts in that article for a league versus union argument.

The article does invite a sense of a war between League and Union ( let us not enter into that ) but how I accept it is on the basis that League and Union are competing Businesses , and in the same fashion that global corporations adopt Sun Tzus art of war principles , that article merely paints the truth in militaristic Language.

Let the last word go to market value.......

Check out Trade me NZ the online sales site for a pure financial non union V League comparison of ticket sales in real time.

At time of posting there are twenty two NRL Nines Listings for tickets.

The Wellington 7's tournament 's listing numbers are in the several hundreds.

That's the facts , the NRL Nines has outstripped the Sevens a very long way.

The sevens has been hugely successful , the NRL nines has every right to celebrate this success in outstripping a premier sports event like the sevens in it's debut year.

It's a massive win for Rugby league

I don't see this at all a victory for any codes, lets just wait and see how the nines will go in say ten years from now. The fact that union 7's have been able to do this well for many years with players who aren't stars and some countries with players never heard off before and no large prize money and appearance fees is itself a victory for the organizers and the sport. 

Edited by Aucks Warriors, 01 February 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#107 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

I don't see this at all a victory for any codes, lets just wait and see how the nines will go in say ten years from now. The fact that union 7's have been able to do this well for many years with players who aren't stars and some countries with players never heard off before and no large prize money and appearance fees is itself a victory for the organizers and the sport.

God, isn't there a push over try forum you can wander onto? Surely they have them. "I saw someone lifted in the air the other day by 2 fatties. It doesn't get better than that...".

Interesting idea that Syndneysiders wouldn't be bothered turning up for this. Should they have any World Cup games in a southern hemisphere world cup, as presumably they'd find it all beneath them?
Then again, perhaps the millions of Sydneysiders who love their league need to be more subtly marketed to? If we can get 8k to Bristol for Cooks - USA on a wet Wednesday, we can get 10s of 1000s in Sydney if we put our minds to it.

#108 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

I am not 100% sure, i think Eden Park holds 48 thousand, with the extra 1600 would bring the total to 49,600, so over 2 days is nearly 100 thousand,,,,, 99 thousand plus to be exact.

I would imagine that Dick Smith who is sponsoring the event, plus freebies and maybe charity teams giveaways and other promised tickets might have been held back. This is why 44 thousand is classified a sellout.

Not to mention the grounds sponsors boxes which would all be full i would say.

The 2 day event is televised fully on Foxsport Australia,  Sky NZ ? i think, and Premier in the UK.

Happy days. 

Origin this year is 2 games in Queensland suncorp and one in Sydney. So 190 thousand sell-out their as well.

2014 is shaping up as a bottler already.

The World Club Challenge will sell-out as well i would say.

Even trail matches are selling out. Things are looking good down under.  

I wish they have one of the SOO games in a neutral venue every year like Melbourne/Auckland/Perth and maybe Adelaide. 

#109 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

God, isn't there a push over try forum you can wander onto? Surely they have them. "I saw someone lifted in the air the other day by 2 fatties. It doesn't get better than that...".

Interesting idea that Syndneysiders wouldn't be bothered turning up for this. Should they have any World Cup games in a southern hemisphere world cup, as presumably they'd find it all beneath them?
Then again, perhaps the millions of Sydneysiders who love their league need to be more subtly marketed to? If we can get 8k to Bristol for Cooks - USA on a wet Wednesday, we can get 10s of 1000s in Sydney if we put our minds to it.

Surely the is also a cross code forum on here for those stuck in the 19th century mentality. Yes I'm sure Sydney will do well if they host the nine's tournaments as well but we wouldn't know that. 

#110 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,270 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Huge numbers of Aussies are flying over for the event so I don't see there be any hassles getting crowds if it was held closer to home in Sydney.

#111 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

After Ricky Stuart named a very cynical Canberra Raiders side the Newcastle Knights have come to the rescue with a serious line up at least the match of the Hosts.

Full Knights squad
1. Chanel Mata’utia
2. Jake Mamo
3. Dane Gagai
4. Joseph Leilua
5. Akuila Uate
6. Jarrod Mullen ©
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Willie Mason
9. Adam Clydsdale
10. Chris Houston
11. Beau Scott
12. Robbie Rochow
13. Jeremy Smith
14. Michael Dobson
15. Alex McKinnon
16. Zane Tetevano

#112 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Chanel?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#113 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Chanel?

5?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#114 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

This has to be a whine up and has no place in NZ media. There's many events happening in Wellington at this time of the year and the fact that the NRL is in Auckland has no issues at all. Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton and Dunedin bit for the IRB 7's and loss out to Wellington again but there is a huge demands in NZ cities for events like the IRB 7's or NRL 9's and thanks to the Wellington 7's organizers and party hemisphere for that. 

Not having a go Aucks Warriors but that was one article , read what the Rugby Union News the NZ Herald has to say and I'd be interested to know if your opinion is fixed

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11196249

#115 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

http://www.nrl.com/t....4/default.aspx

The Titans are worth a flutter

Edited by mt smart, 05 February 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#116 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

Sharks announce Auckland Nines team

Wednesday 5 February 2014 4:25 PM

00112870-leadimage.jpg

The Sharks will send a team boasting a sprinkling of both youth and experience for their assault on the upcoming Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines tournament on February 15-16.

Sharks skipper Paul Gallen will make the trip across the Tasman and will be joined by senior club mates Todd Carney and Wade Graham for the inaugural Nines event.

Also a part of the Sharks 16-man squad will be new boys Blake Ayshford, Daniel Holdsworth and Matt Prior for what will be their first ‘official’ outings in Sharks colours.

Throw in the likes of speedsters Nathan Gardner and Nathan Stapleton, not to mention up and coming hooker Michael Lichaa in what will be another opportunity for the highly rated local junior to push for an NRL berth ahead of round one, and the Sharks are set to field a formidable line up.

Kiwi youngster Fa’amanu Brown, a member of the Sharks NYC team and a standout for the under 20’s in 2013, will also be a part of the Sharks Nines squad.

The team will be under the control of interim head coach Peter Sharp, who anticipates his team to be competitive throughout the two day tournament.

“We are sending what we think is a very competitive squad,” Sharp said. “We’ve got some speed, some experience, a bit of mobility in the forwards and Todd Carney steering the ship. So I think we can do well with this group under the unique format of the event.”

The Sharks depart for New Zealand next Monday ahead of the Nines tournament the following weekend.

Prior to the event they will conduct a Community Carnival visit it the Christchurch area, visiting schools and junior league clubs.

The Sharks squad list for the NRL Auckland Nines;

1. Nathan Gardner
2. Nathan Stapleton
3. Blake Ayshford
4. Jonathan Wright
5. Sosaia Feki
6. Todd Carney
7. Daniel Holdsworth
8. Vitale (Junior) Roqica
9. Michael Lichaa
10. Sam Tagataese
11. Wade Graham
12. Matt Prior
13. Paul Gallen
14. Ricky Leutele
15. Tupou Sopoaga
16. Fa’amanu Brown

#117 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

The Sharks have added Anrew Fafita to their Nines Squad.

Brisbane have a very experienced team :

BRONCOS TEAM FOR NRL AUCKLAND NINES:
1 Ben Barba
2 Josh Hoffman
3 Dale Copley
4 Alex Glenn
5 Stewart Mills
6 Kodi Nikorima
7 Ben Hunt
8 Martin Kennedy
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Sam Thaiday
11 Matt Gillett
12 Jordan Drew
13 Corey Parker ©
14 David Stagg
15 Todd Lowrie
16 Zac Strasser
17 Joe Ofahengaue
18 Jake Granville
Coach Anthony Griffin

#118 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

Really looking forward to see how this weekend pans out and personally I am really excited about the tournament!

The organisers have done really well with the 9's this year. It is priced well in regards to selling out, they contra'd the TV deal with SKY NZ in return for advertising and they have ensured that at least 32 NRL stars will be in the stadium, but let's hold fire with the back slapping just for now.....the NZ media are all over "drunkenness" after 270 people were ejected from the 7's over the 2 days there, so any "misbehaving" will be front page news (bottle throwing at eden park in 2010 anyone?) The 7's struggled to sell out this year because of concerns over the "supposed" clampdown on drunken behaviour......there are very few pubs "outside" Eden Park, so once you're in, that's it. I hope that it is a happy party atmosphere and there is no trouble, but at $69 a ticket as opposed to $260 for the 7's, there is a whole different demographic audience on its way to Eden Park at the weekend......let's hope they all behave.  

#119 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Really looking forward to see how this weekend pans out and personally I am really excited about the tournament!

The organisers have done really well with the 9's this year. It is priced well in regards to selling out, they contra'd the TV deal with SKY NZ in return for advertising and they have ensured that at least 32 NRL stars will be in the stadium, but let's hold fire with the back slapping just for now.....the NZ media are all over "drunkenness" after 270 people were ejected from the 7's over the 2 days there, so any "misbehaving" will be front page news (bottle throwing at eden park in 2010 anyone?) The 7's struggled to sell out this year because of concerns over the "supposed" clampdown on drunken behaviour......there are very few pubs "outside" Eden Park, so once you're in, that's it. I hope that it is a happy party atmosphere and there is no trouble, but at $69 a ticket as opposed to $260 for the 7's, there is a whole different demographic audience on its way to Eden Park at the weekend......let's hope they all behave.  

The problem with Eden Park is you get those ' cross over ' fans from sports other than the Rugby league Purists who frequent the trouble free home of the Warriors at Mt Smart year in and year out.

As soon as they go to Eden Park you get those Louts and Hoons that aren't there at Mt Smart.

There should be a Rugby league General Knowledge Quiz as entry criteria.

#120 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

The problem with Eden Park is you get those ' cross over ' fans from sports other than the Rugby league Purists who frequent the trouble free home of the Warriors at Mt Smart year in and year out.

As soon as they go to Eden Park you get those Louts and Hoons that aren't there at Mt Smart.

There should be a Rugby league General Knowledge Quiz as entry criteria.

Haha, I know what you mean keep them Westies out of Eden Park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users