TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

start of Latino Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

http://www.foxsports...from=public_rss

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

This is fantastic, I'd love to see RL being played in brazil, Venezuela, Cuba etc. As stated in the article Latin America is a huge market and potential gold mine for RL, even more so with many south American countries economies booming.

#3 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Great story, good luck to them. Also great to read about Colombia v Jamaica this year too  :)

This is fantastic, I'd love to see RL being played in brazil, Venezuela, Cuba etc. As stated in the article Latin America is a huge market and potential gold mine for RL, even more so with many south American countries economies booming.

Well, I came across this the other day, but it looks like RL in Brazil happened in 2013. http://www.portaldor...em-baixo-guandu

South and Central America are the only places left without RL, so it looks like South America is starting up too.

#4 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Good to see that this is making a splash. 

Mancunians in Manchester have teamed up with Latin Heat to be their Northern Hemisphere Exiles team. We don't anticipate hundreds of players but we're already getting some interest from Latin Americans wanting to try their hand at league. 

http://wearemancunia...by-league-side/

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,892 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Anyone know what happened to Argentina? They hosted an Australian Police RL tour a few years ago.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Great story, good luck to them. Also great to read about Colombia v Jamaica this year too  :)

I find this very intriguing. I'll be cheering on the Colombians.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

You could set up London Latino.  Where's the nearest big park to Elephant and Castle?   Probably a sponsor to underwrite it, these guys aren't rolling in it.

The thing with getting RL into South America is infrastructure.  I've been in Chile for a month now and was thinking about this sort of thing.  In Valparaiso, there's a real shortage of flat land, as it is known for its unusual hilltop architecture, though conceivably some of the former dockyards would make a interesting and accessible area to have rugby fields.  In Santiago, there are pockets of land across the city that could be used for rugby league but they would need to be bought/leased now because little by little these pockets are being turned into shopping malls or housing developments, as young Chileans want to live in the classic cookie cutter suburb.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

You could set up London Latino.  Where's the nearest big park to Elephant and Castle?   Probably a sponsor to underwrite it, these guys aren't rolling in it.

The thing with getting RL into South America is infrastructure.  I've been in Chile for a month now and was thinking about this sort of thing.  In Valparaiso, there's a real shortage of flat land, as it is known for its unusual hilltop architecture, though conceivably some of the former dockyards would make a interesting and accessible area to have rugby fields.  In Santiago, there are pockets of land across the city that could be used for rugby league but they would need to be bought/leased now because little by little these pockets are being turned into shopping malls or housing developments, as young Chileans want to live in the classic cookie cutter suburb.

Would you need a dedicated rugby pitch? 

There are some american football pitches and plenty of soccer posts to which to long poles could be temporarily attached.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

Depends where you are. In the hood, for want of a better phrase, kids play futsal on basketball courts. The nicely-kept fields are either private schools or clubs or they're controlled by one of the major football clubs.

Besides the reason why things so quickly fall apart is because there's no infrastructure.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#10 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Depends where you are. In the hood, for want of a better phrase, kids play futsal on basketball courts. The nicely-kept fields are either private schools or clubs or they're controlled by one of the major football clubs.

Besides the reason why things so quickly fall apart is because there's no infrastructure.

I think there are many reasons things quickly fall apart.  The main one might be trying to play as many games as possible with as many teams as possible in rich countries where people have plenty of ther things to do.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#11 dogwaspie

dogwaspie
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hope Brazil take up tgg ,got family there so they would have to be my team in south america  . If they play our game with the same flair and excitement they do other sports , could be quite the treat in store.

#12 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Hope Brazil take up tgg ,got family there so they would have to be my team in south america  . If they play our game with the same flair and excitement they do other sports , could be quite the treat in store.

Brazil are pushing 7's for the Olympics, with some rather good adverts.

#13 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Looks like the Latin Heat now have their own website (http://latinheatrl.com/) and from the sounds of it from their Facebook page they're going to be live streaming their game against the Philippines this Saturday if anyone is chasing a hit of international RL.

Posted Image

#14 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

An update on the Latin heat fixture and the article mentions the intriguing possibility of a team starting up in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
http://www.nrl.com/g...96/default.aspx

Just seen that it is possible to watch a webcast of the game via the LatinHeat website :tongue:
Thanks to sponsors Guzman y Gomez and Gringo TV you can watch a webcast of our game versus the Philippines on Saturday (Jan 18) at http://latinheatrl.com from 6.45pm Queensland time, 7.45pm Sydney time, 5.45pm Manila time, 8.45am London time, 9.45pm Auckland time, 6.45am Sao Paulo time, 5.45am Buenos Aires & Santiago time, and 3.45am Bogota time.

The Magellan Trophy has been unveiled as the silverware the two teams will contest. It honours the spirit of adventure, pioneering and history achieved by Ferdinand Magellan in bringing the world together with his ground-breaking circumnavigation. His journey featured climactic points in both Latin America and the Philippines.

Edited by flyingking, 16 January 2014 - 10:17 AM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#15 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Damn, I was thinking of going to go to the Broncos open day on Saturday, but a livestream of this will trump it!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#16 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Maybe you could suggest some of the players running around for this game to the Broncos to fill some of their remaining squad spots?

Posted Image

#17 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hope Brazil take up tgg ,got family there so they would have to be my team in south america . If they play our game with the same flair and excitement they do other sports , could be quite the treat in store.

it's started in Brazil on a very small scale. Google translate the article linked above. It's got local government support, a local Aussie offered to help coach them and they have expansion plans. They saw the NRL on tv and wanted to give it a try. The comments under the article are also promising.

Edited by Copa, 18 January 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#18 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

looking like it could be a tad one-way traffic....get the Heat over on a tour of NCL clubs

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#19 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

34 nil to Philippines at halftime

#20 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

34 nil to Philippines at halftime

54 -0 on the stream site ? - I missed the second 20 washing up

Just noticed the commentary team mentioning more sponsors than our leagues have

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users