Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

start of Latino Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

FT 114 - 0

from little acorns...

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#22 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

Final score 114-0

Everyone has to start somewhere and hopefully as the Latino team plays more regularly, they will start to become more competitive. The best thing about this fixture was that we are seeing teams representing their respective heritages, who would have dreamed  even a decade ago that we might see representative sides from the Philippines and Latin America? 

Just read the Latin Heat player profiles and for a number of them it was their first ever game of Rugby League, many of them have expressed an interest in helping to start the game in their native countries.

Edited by flyingking, 18 January 2014 - 11:08 AM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#23 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Just read the Latin Heat player profiles and for a number of them it was their first ever game of Rugby League, many of them have expressed an interest in helping to start the game in their native countries.

Fantastic! I would love to watch South American RL, especially Brazil, they would have to become my favourite team. It's great to see RL finally starting up over there and potentially Central America too. I know they're not in either continent, but hopefully Mexico can also pick up the game in the next few years. 

Regarding the score, it's disappointing to see the Philippines play top players in games like this. I hope they're not just going to become another Aussie heritage team rather than developing locals. 

#24 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

I've been in Chile for a month now and was thinking about this sort of thing.  In Valparaiso, there's a real shortage of flat land, as it is known for its unusual hilltop architecture, 

Off Topic, sorry.

We're you there for the NYE Fireworks ?

The new teams emerging in Florida & Georgia could entice C & S American & Mexican players/fans as well as the local  Americans, its all good on development.

Edited by mick wilson, 22 January 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#25 dogwaspie

dogwaspie
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hope Brazil take up tgg ,got family there so they would have to be my team in south america . If they play our game with the same flair and excitement they do other sports , could be quite the treat in store.

it's started in Brazil on a very small scale. Google translate the article linked above. It's got local government support, a local Aussie offered to help coach them and they have expansion plans. They saw the NRL on tv and wanted to give it a try. The comments under the article are also promising

Very promising indeed.Just great to see the game spreading & Brazil being an option. My relatives emigrated to Manaus from Belfast in 1968 and my cousins were born there so would be a natural second team for me. Vai, Brasil 

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Fantastic! I would love to watch South American RL, especially Brazil, they would have to become my favourite team. It's great to see RL finally starting up over there and potentially Central America too. I know they're not in either continent, but hopefully Mexico can also pick up the game in the next few years. 

Regarding the score, it's disappointing to see the Philippines play top players in games like this. I hope they're not just going to become another Aussie heritage team rather than developing locals.

Brazilian cheeleaders have immense promise.

#27 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

more information on what is happening in Brazil.
http://latinheatrl.c...-and-ben-barba/
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users