London Broncos NZ Warriors England

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Just been reading on another forum that Joe Keyes, London Broncos and former England academy stand off, is off to NZ Warriors U20s for a months trial and by looking at Joe's twitter, it seems to be the case.

Good luck to him. I hope it goes well and it's great to see the Antipodean sides thinking our halves are good enough to go out there, as well as showing London developed players are considered good enough to go down under. I was hoping to see him given a chance this season for our first team, but this is a great opportunity for him. 

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Great opportunity for him and I hope he's successful, the more the merrier in my opinion and good to see that he wasn't lost to the game.

#3 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Remember Joe from his very early days at Redbridge Raiders and Brentwood Elvers.
He looked very promising then .
Fantastic news for the Keyes family.

#4 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Many on here wont like this as its part of the 'player drain' to the southern hemisphere, but my worry for England et al has been the lack of true halves. If a lad like this has some potential then he will be developed into a useful half back, possibly even very good half back.

My worry has always been that we are very good at developing big fit lads who end up as good forwards or at a push decent centres, but not very good at half backs. If the problem is to be solved by our best kids going down under to develop then so be it. Good luck and about time.

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, you worry about too many going to the NRL, but I don't mind a few halves going over there and turning into quality players, like Widdop, as that's our problem position. Part of the problem over here, is that young talented halves seem to get moved to full back like Lomax, Tomkins and I see Wigan have earmarked Sarginson to be a full back, rather than his preferred position of stand off. Too many average NRL halves get signed, rather than giving youngsters a chance. Woodburn Hall and Bishay at London look like being good players, I just hope the don't get moved position. 

#6 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, you worry about too many going to the NRL, but I don't mind a few halves going over there and turning into quality players, like Widdop, as that's our problem position. Part of the problem over here, is that young talented halves seem to get moved to full back like Lomax, Tomkins and I see Wigan have earmarked Sarginson to be a full back, rather than his preferred position of stand off. Too many average NRL halves get signed, rather than giving youngsters a chance. Woodburn Hall and Bishay at London look like being good players, I just hope the don't get moved position. 

I haven't seen Sarginson pushed for FB anywhere.

Wigan have loads of potential fullbacks, in addition to Bowen for possibly the next two seasons. All the talk I have heard has been for him to push for Stand off or centre.

#7 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

To be fair I think that fullback is johny lomax's best position while I would like to see Sam Tomkins move back into the halves in the near future. As for sarginson I think in the short term he'll be a bit part player at Wigan what with Bowen at 1 and green at 6 not to mention thornely and goulding in the centres, also Ryan Hampshire will be either first choice fullback or stand off within 12-18 months. Are woodburn-hall and bishay back at the broncos? As I thought I read somewhere that they'd gone to union, same with Oscar Thomas which would be a real shame if true.

#8 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,910 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

It's worth mentioning to say that London Broncos have been in touch to say that Joe Keyes is on holiday in NZ, but won't be having a trial with the Warriors, at least not a formal one.

They say he will remain on their books.

#9 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

To be fair I think that fullback is johny lomax's best position while I would like to see Sam Tomkins move back into the halves in the near future. As for sarginson I think in the short term he'll be a bit part player at Wigan what with Bowen at 1 and green at 6 not to mention thornely and goulding in the centres, also Ryan Hampshire will be either first choice fullback or stand off within 12-18 months. Are woodburn-hall and bishay back at the broncos? As I thought I read somewhere that they'd gone to union, same with Oscar Thomas which would be a real shame if true.

One of the regular Broncos posters on RL Fans popped down to Underhill a few days back and named Woodburn Hall and Bishay as two of the twelve training.

Edited by Spicer, 05 January 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#10 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

It's worth mentioning to say that London Broncos have been in touch to say that Joe Keyes is on holiday in NZ, but won't be having a trial with the Warriors, at least not a formal one.

Oh well that's a shame, wonder why he was being congratulated on twitter then. I guess it's good for us though. 

#11 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Broncos speaking eh,  Whatever next ?

#12 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Bishay was going to go to Australia, I think Newtown Jets, but decided to stay once Barnet was finalised. Mason Caton-Brown and Saeed Agboke played for London Irish academy a few months back, but again they stuck with us. Also worth mentioning that Alex Abbot-Tavener has signed a pro deal with the club. He played for England youth a few years ago, before going to London Irish academy. I was certain we'd lose him to Union, so great to have him back. 

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

One of the regular Broncos posters on RL Fans popped down to Underhill a few days back and named Woodburn Hall and Bishay as two of the twelve training.

Good to hear, don't know much about woodburn-hall but from what I've read and heard about bishay playing in the academy and for Hemel stags is all very positive and that he's got a good chance of playing at the top level.

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Bishay was going to go to Australia, I think Newtown Jets, but decided to stay once Barnet was finalised. Mason Caton-Brown and Saeed Agboke played for London Irish academy a few months back, but again they stuck with us. Also worth mentioning that Alex Abbot-Tavener has signed a pro deal with the club. He played for England youth a few years ago, before going to London Irish academy. I was certain we'd lose him to Union, so great to have him back.

Thanks, what about Oscar Thomas and the kid who made his debut against st Helen's Mancini or something like that?

#15 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

As for sarginson I think in the short term he'll be a bit part player at Wigan what with Bowen at 1 and green at 6 not to mention thornely and goulding in the centres, also Ryan Hampshire will be either first choice fullback or stand off within 12-18 months. 

He only signed a two year deal though. Have to wonder why they signed him...

#16 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Thanks, what about Oscar Thomas and the kid who made his debut against st Helen's Mancini or something like that?

Macani, I think he's still here, not 100% sure though. Thomas plays for London Irish, but I don't know if he'll come back or whether he'd have made it anyway.

#17 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Good to see London developing plenty of lads with double barrelled names

#18 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

More income from printing names on replica shirt sales...

#19 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Just going by his twitter message, it appears he may have a trial.

@lukedorn off to NZ for a month with the warriors 20s mate

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#20 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

And we've got a few more coming through in the pipeline! Although not everyone with a double barreled surname is posh. I know quite a few people with them and they most certainly aren't posh.

Just going by his twitter message, it appears he may have a trial.

@lukedorn off to NZ for a month with the warriors 20s mate

Looking over his twitter, he's congratulated by a lot of our youth players and few from other clubs as well. He's definitely over there as well by the looks of it. Either he's been a naughty boy or the club are stupid and haven't realised it, I'd go with the latter. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users