Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

LEAGUE EXPRESS

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

I am struggling to see what Gareth Walker has said which is new
It all seems like a load of regurgitated rubbish to me from a lazy journalist who wants to sound like he knows more than anyone else

I wasn't aware that a consortium of local businessmen were in talks to buy the club.I my assumption was it was Koukash or the Trust?

#22 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Sorry Mark I have to agree with Duffymoon ,it's the first time theres been any mention of local business men being involved. Also we do get imformation from Gareth which is more than can be said of Coco the clown of the M.E.N  and Avertiser.

#23 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

Im certain a consortium of locsl business men was mentioned seversl times in previous rumours at the start of all this with links made with belle vue?
Equally dr marwan could easily be described this way.

The point remains its ambiguous pointless and useless information
I gave up on all newspapers a long time ago
I've given up on Facebook too although I did have a quick sneak at the lions page recently to witness more exchanges bordering on the unpleasant generated by this none news.

#24 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

In fact flicking down a few tbreads from this one the "Manchester rlfc" debate thread I believe was based on this whole premise.
Or am I missing something...I'm not feeling my best today?

In fact just also found this quote from Loyal lion...John Kidd has basically stepped back and left Paul to deal with it all. No mention of the other board members at all. The top table did say that another party was interested but in Paul Kidd's view it would have meant that we would have had to move out of the area! 

Edited by mark richardson, 09 January 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#25 Gareth Walker

Gareth Walker
  • Coach
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the ringing endorsements on this thread Mark…!

Just thought I’d come on and clarify a couple of things after seeing this discussion. Getting information out of the club hasn’t been easy for anyone of late from what I can gather – journalists and fans alike. Monday’s article (I’m not sure certain people have actually read it) was based around an interview with Ian Watson on the fact he now has 14 players regularly training, which, to my knowledge, hadn’t been reported anywhere before. All of the information in the article came from a chat with Ian, including the fact that he has been kept up to speed about talks with a consortium of people looking to run the club. He wasn’t in a position to go any further into it than that, which I understood. Similarly, he doesn't want to release the names of the majority of the players until any deal is finalised, in case rival clubs nip in.

Ian himself told me that nobody else had rung him, media wise, to get an update on the playing front, and there had been no public confirmation that he was leading the squad at the moment. In fact other clubs have been coveting his services during the close season up until very recently. However he now seems set to stay with Swinton, is busy assembling a squad, and League Express felt that those facts (plus the one that he will be playing on himself for another season) were newsworthy.

Genuinely, all the best to everyone involved with the club. I’m a Rochdale lad so know only too well what this is like. Good things can come out of adversity, and the discussions I’ve had with the RFL recently have been much more positive about Swinton’s future. Good luck all!

#26 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the update Gareth, hopefully everything will come to fruition soon.  The sooner the better as the season is nearly upon us.  Here's to some good news coming soon (hopefully).

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#27 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

You're welcome Gareth. My life has hung by its fingertips more than once at the whims of careless newspaper men
I will consider you one of the good ones in light of your update!
Sadly still none the wiser....regarding the takeover
Are you up to ringing anyone else for us?

#28 Gareth Walker

Gareth Walker
  • Coach
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

I've been in semi-regular contact with Paul Kidd throughout all of this, but unfortunately there has been a very limited amount of information we've been able to report on, due to the nature of the talks. I've been assured that could change this week when I ring tomorrow, so we'll see.

While always trying to be as diligent as possible, in reality Swinton is one of 14 clubs that I contact every Friday - so any pointers as to other people I should be ringing would certainly be useful. I'll definitely be keeping in touch with Ian Watson on a weekly basis now it looks as though he will be your coach, and hopefully player news will begin to filter out.

What I would say is that over the last couple of weeks, generally people at the club and within the game seem to be more positive about Swinton's future. I hope that's a good sign. Speaking from Rochdale's experience, things can turn round when enough people who care about a club get involved. And Hornets has never been a particularly well supported club!

#29 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

In fact flicking down a few tbreads from this one the "Manchester rlfc" debate thread I believe was based on this whole premise.
Or am I missing something...I'm not feeling my best today?

In fact just also found this quote from Loyal lion...John Kidd has basically stepped back and left Paul to deal with it all. No mention of the other board members at all. The top table did say that another party was interested but in Paul Kidd's view it would have meant that we would have had to move out of the area!

If my memory serves me correctly Mark that's what was reported!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#30 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Gareth for doing what you can to keep people informed of the goings on at Swinton Lions through these very turbulant times, during which all alternative local and trade press aside from League Express have printed precisely nothing - which in itself is unsettling for the many people who still care about the club but are not party to the ongoing negotiation process.

The specific number of 14 players being in training was fresh information and to some degree reassuring, and it was good to see quotes from Ian Watson in light of the reports elsewhere that he was reputedly very close to becoming assistant coach at Leeds.

Clearly the club officials are keeping their cards extreamley close to their chests, so much so that there has been nothing on the club website in weeks and no club official attended a supporters meeting held last month where the major scale financial problems were first revealed via representatives of the Supporters Trust.  It was unfortunate that no members of the media were at that meeting, but a positive that you covered the key messages that emerged.  In such circumstances the motto that fits with regard to the poor quality of recently available information is surely "Don't shoot the messenger".  Please keep up the good work, you do a very valuable job of covering the teams outside Super League and raising their perspective on important issues in the game.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#31 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

It was reported by Martin McDonough, to be precise.

The story being that there was another interested party at one stage, but at the time of last month's meeting the forward options were limited to Dr Koukash and the Supporters Trust.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#32 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Gareth, this is why most of us buy the League Express instead of the Salford Evening News. Have you contacted Dr.Koukash recently/or will you be for an update.

#33 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Gareth for doing what you can to keep people informed of the goings on at Swinton Lions through these very turbulant times, during which all alternative local and trade press aside from League Express have printed precisely nothing - which in itself is unsettling for the many people who still care about the club but are not party to the ongoing negotiation process.

The specific number of 14 players being in training was fresh information and to some degree reassuring, and it was good to see quotes from Ian Watson in light of the reports elsewhere that he was reputedly very close to becoming assistant coach at Leeds.

Clearly the club officials are keeping their cards extreamley close to their chests, so much so that there has been nothing on the club website in weeks and no club official attended a supporters meeting held last month where the major scale financial problems were first revealed via representatives of the Supporters Trust. It was unfortunate that no members of the media were at that meeting, but a positive that you covered the key messages that emerged. In such circumstances the motto that fits with regard to the poor quality of recently available information is surely "Don't shoot the messenger". Please keep up the good work, you do a very valuable job of covering the teams outside Super League and raising their perspective on important issues in the game.

oh a very surreptitious telling off
I'll consider my legs smacked dad!

#34 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

I knew it!
To be honest for me whilst news of a team being slowly assembled is encouraging and welcome I honestly wouldn't care if we have the season from hell if our long term future is assured

#35 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

How good is that - input on the forum from Gareth Walker.  It just shows he does have his finger on the pulse of RL outside Super League.  His efforts on getting information from Swinton and reporing the situation as accurately as possible puts other journalists to shame.  Thanks for your efforts Gareth and keep up the good work.

#36 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

The trust are still working hard behind the scenes to help secure the future of the club and it is hoped that the membership can be updated at next Tuesdays trust AGM open to members at 7pm  at The White Lion.

Membership has increased by about twenty people since the open meeting and we are hoping that people that took forms to join will send them back soon as the more members we have the better.

Lets have the Lions roaring again quickly !!

Riggy

#37 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

This is what I dont get Riggy. You guys are working for nothing and keeping your dignity and I presume your word to not disclose confidences on sensitive information,whilst others press on trying to get people to betray those confidences in public. 

A bloke makes a phone call and he is given adulation.

Its all a bit odd.

#38 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Think Watto has been tasked with Marlon to start getting players together and start training and as far as i know they have been doing this for a few weeks.   The off field things have been left to those doing the work in the back ground to try and keep the club going and we are all pulling together to try to make this work.  There have been things happening virtually everyday since the Christmas break finished. 

#39 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

This is what I dont get Riggy. You guys are working for nothing and keeping your dignity and I presume your word to not disclose confidences on sensitive information,whilst others press on trying to get people to betray those confidences in public. 
A bloke makes a phone call and he is given adulation.
Its all a bit odd.

. Think it's a case of "all publicity is good publicity" and fact is we've had hardly any mention in the media for weeks.So for me if a leading RL journalist writes a half page article in a publication and imparts some information that I certainly Wasnt aware of that is accompanied with quotes from the coach elect then for me it's something to be applauded not mocked.

#40 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Like Riggy says, the Trust certainly hasn't been idle & more news will follow within the next 5 days. Judging by this forum, everyone has been really patient since Christmas & that's been very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users