TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

LEAGUE EXPRESS

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

Edited by mark richardson, 10 January 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#42 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

Just to endorse what Steve has written, the Trust will be in a position to further inform not only the trust members but the wider support with an update on the discussions and meetings which have taken place since just before Xmas and over that period.

I feel confident that the Lions will be taking their place on the field of play in 2014.

#43 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

The trust are still working hard behind the scenes to help secure the future of the club and it is hoped that the membership can be updated at next Tuesdays trust AGM open to members at 7pm  at The White Lion.

Membership has increased by about twenty people since the open meeting and we are hoping that people that took forms to join will send them back soon as the more members we have the better.

Lets have the Lions roaring again quickly !!

Riggy

If you get a chance Riggy I would be interested to know how many members there are in the Trust at the moment.

#44 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

I will be joining if someone can send me an application form and details of where to send it.Even better if someone wants to call at my luxury apartment will pay in cash.

#45 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Dave, details are on the Trust website along with forms to download. Failing that, if you come along to the AGM at the White Lion in Tuesday at 7pm you will be able to join there and then. The more the merrier....and the more we can do to help the Lions survive...perhaps we should have an "Adopt a Lion" campaign and see if we can get money from the likes of David Attenborough!!

#46 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:37 PM

This is what I dont get Riggy. You guys are working for nothing and keeping your dignity and I presume your word to not disclose confidences on sensitive information,whilst others press on trying to get people to betray those confidences in public. 

A bloke makes a phone call and he is given adulation.

Its all a bit odd.

Like your original opinion on Gareth Walker's efforts this post seems unfair to me.  Since the Trust got seriously involved with the present difficult situation there has been lots of support and good will shown towards their efforts and for the most part there has been a good understanding that the Trust has told us what it can when it can and I for one am delighted that we are getting those regular updates.

I don't live locally anymore so I have had to rely upon this forum, the rugby league press and any information the Club released to keep abreast of events before the Trust stepped in.  I buy the two weekly RL papers regularly and League Express has been good at reporting something about The Lions virtually every week and reflected events as accurately as was possible.  League Weekly was just the opposite, either printing nothing or only outdated and sometimes inaccurate material.  In the end it annoyed me so much I emailed a complaint to their editor.

So praise, not adulation, where it is due to those in the Trust who are putting in the effort and to Mr Walker for doing a good job too.  

#47 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

I sincerely don't think that anyone either within the trust or the press are seeking any form of gain in terms of reporting the Lions difficulties this winter.
What I feel safe to say is that in their own way ever spectator has concerns about how and why the club has found itself on the situation it has and where possible those who are able to donate a little bit extra time to assist in getting a resolution to the situation , have done so without wishing to seek any "adulation" more to ensure this great club reaches 150 years of existence for the enjoyment of all Lions fans.
Hopefully we are nearly there. But be under no illusions a great deal of hard work will be needed from now on to allow this club to flourish and that involves all fans pulling together .

#48 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

Like your original opinion on Gareth Walker's efforts this post seems unfair to me. Since the Trust got seriously involved with the present difficult situation there has been lots of support and good will shown towards their efforts and for the most part there has been a good understanding that the Trust has told us what it can when it can and I for one am delighted that we are getting those regular updates.

I don't live locally anymore so I have had to rely upon this forum, the rugby league press and any information the Club released to keep abreast of events before the Trust stepped in. I buy the two weekly RL papers regularly and League Express has been good at reporting something about The Lions virtually every week and reflected events as accurately as was possible. League Weekly was just the opposite, either printing nothing or only outdated and sometimes inaccurate material. In the end it annoyed me so much I emailed a complaint to their editor.

So praise, not adulation, where it is due to those in the Trust who are putting in the effort and to Mr Walker for doing a good job too.

This was never a dig at yourself or any other genuine good hearted fans
I was trying and obviously failing to point out that perhaps we could look closer to home when it comes to dishing out praise
I have a deep seated dislike of the press....and I still fail to see what is so impressive about making a phone call and printing the bare bones of it. Gareths posting on here to be fair was much more enlightening and something he didn't need to do. I thanked him for that
If the press and rugby league papers really do care about us they have given us very little publicity
Bur then that comes to the crux of it to me
Was this policy deliberate?
I believe that these negotiations would never in any other walk of life be open to public scrutiny and the vast majority of fans have been patient beyond belief
I think that the conduct of the Trust has been exemplary in their ability to hold their tongues
To me the benefits of this approach will be obvious as we hopefully enter a great new era for our club
Could the speculation from the press and fans alike from this rehashed story from Gareth Walker have affected the process?
I dont know.
I do wish I'd not bothered saying anything to be honest
I just felt the point I was trying to make was....lets learn to hold our own urine for a short while longer and put a little faith in those who quietly keep telling us things are happening behind the scenes.

#49 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

This was never a dig at yourself or any other genuine good hearted fans
I was trying and obviously failing to point out that perhaps we could look closer to home when it comes to dishing out praise
I have a deep seated dislike of the press....and I still fail to see what is so impressive about making a phone call and printing the bare bones of it. Gareths posting on here to be fair was much more enlightening and something he didn't need to do. I thanked him for that
If the press and rugby league papers really do care about us they have given us very little publicity
Bur then that comes to the crux of it to me
Was this policy deliberate?
I believe that these negotiations would never in any other walk of life be open to public scrutiny and the vast majority of fans have been patient beyond belief
I think that the conduct of the Trust has been exemplary in their ability to hold their tongues
To me the benefits of this approach will be obvious as we hopefully enter a great new era for our club
Could the speculation from the press and fans alike from this rehashed story from Gareth Walker have affected the process?
I dont know.
I do wish I'd not bothered saying anything to be honest
I just felt the point I was trying to make was....lets learn to hold our own urine for a short while longer and put a little faith in those who quietly keep telling us things are happening behind the scenes.

Very true Mark we really need to keep everything under our hats until this delicate process has finished, but on the other hand you can't help getting a little bit excited about all this such are the ramifications of everything coming off as we are all hoping they will.  I know I am!  Me +2 to the meeting wherever it's held.  Come on you Lions!

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#50 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I agree that the press and in particular the MEN have in general ignored us.
When Salford were in our position last year the MEN ran daily stories in support, we have had nothing.
In fairness to the press it may well be that nobody from the club had told them anything but we all know when the press want to they can come looking for a story.

#51 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

It honestly makes me laugh to see people preaching a need for secrecy and having a go at Gareth Walker, when nothing in that article got even close to some of the bile some people put Dr Koukash's way this time last year when he took over Salford.

Dr Koukash is more than capable of doing his own homework where business negotiations are concerned. A far more likely concern is the question of whether he would have the backing of the fans!

There's a financial trauma and background negotiation process going on at some RL or football club almost all the time. Its not something that needs to result in a media blackout - in the vast majority of instances the effect is the polar opposite.

The Lions have never grasped the concept of strategic communications very well, if at all. Its one important thing on a fairly long list of potential improvements that, if addressed, just might see people realistically asking in 4 or 5 years time - "Swinton Lions for Super League?".
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#52 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

Ha ha.

#53 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Perhaps you could offer your services for this role Phil.?

#54 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

Things will change soon on our media side of things.  We are looking at revamping the website to include more news and stats from the club and proberbly a section including rugby league news in general.  If anyone has any thoughts of what else they might like to see on the website please come talk to me at the meeting on Thursday night and we will take your ideas on board.

Thanks

Riggy

#55 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Perhaps you could offer your services for this role Phil.?

There's at least 2 other people better qualified, but its also important to address the issue of strategic communications as a collective rather than expecting a single communications officer to deliver everything that's needed.  The first ingredient being a culture of openness and transparency across the piece, which will only pervade if the person at the top believes in it. If that's to be Dr Koukash, given both his financial means and likely importance to him of a relatively large scale development scheme pretty much in the middle of Swinton town centre, I'd expect he'll very much have his own ideas about who he'd like to use and most probably that would be a professional in the field on a salaried basis with whom he already has an established relationship.

So we shall see what emerges on Thursday.  If it includes something significant in terms of the rumoured development of the former St Ambrose Barlow High School site, what we can say for definite is that the communications side of things will be very important.  There's bound to be some opponents. The law rightly requires that anyone holding concerns has the chance to voice those concerns.  Key messages need to be got across in order to hopefully win the ensuing debate.  I suspect the chances of success would be enhanced if at least some of those key messages came from local people (especially people involved in local education, amateur sport and other proactive community groups) rather than straight from the Dr himself - with a view to those types of organisation later benefitting from what is planned.  All that would be of interest, in my view there are real needs across the community that Barton isn't in a position to deliver on and the right scope of scheme in the centre of Swinton could be far more effective in this regard, but it very much remains to be seen how far Dr Koukash wants to involve those sorts of organisations.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#56 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Phil have to disagree with you.
In terms of your posts on here you would be perfect for the role of communications officer.

#57 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

I do not think we will have Dr.Kouhash on board unless he gets permission to build on Ambrose Barlow old school.

#58 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

http://www.salfordon...keover_bid.html

#59 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I don't think Dr Koucash would even be at the meeting unless he was heavily involved in the takeover process and had some information to impart on us, he doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would turn up at a meeting unless he has something important to contribute.  Looking forward to Thursday. :D

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#60 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Let's all hope it involves returning to m27 asap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users