Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SWINTON SQUARE

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

For anyone that doesn't know Swinton Precinct is now known as Swinton Square.From reading their Twitter feeds the management company are very keen to promote all things "Swinton" they mention giving the town an identity.Seems a fantastic opportunity for the Trust to liaise with the management company as a vehicle to promote the club.

#2 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

Thanks Dave

I have just emailed them

Riggy

#3 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Thanks again Dave for your heads up. Had an email back and we are now working on it.  Lets hope we can get something from it.

Riggy

#4 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Thanks again Dave for your heads up. Had an email back and we are now working on it.  Lets hope we can get something from it.

Riggy

. Great stuff! Hopefully it will be the start of something good! The new Asda should also provide a useful opportunity to promote the club as they are always keen to be proactive in the community.

#5 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Dave Asda was contacted 12 months ago when the early stages of building was starting. They won't do anything about sponsorship until they appoint a community officer for the store.

#6 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Dave Asda was contacted 12 months ago when the early stages of building was starting. They won't do anything about sponsorship until they appoint a community officer for the store.

. Yes I know Alan,they are now advertising job vacancies for the Swinton store so maybe the community officer position vacancy will be filled soon.

#7 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I didn't know ASDA had a first name Alan. Thanks for that!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#8 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Exc Loyallion! Made me laugh that one!!

#9 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

An interesting connection to exploit?

As most of us know, the club was founded by Swinton cricketers in October 1866, at a meeting held at St Peter's School.

What has just occurred to me, and what might not be widely known, was this was at the OLD St Peter's School, and NOT the school next door to Swinton Church.

And where was the old school where this historic meeting took place? On the site of the precinct, pretty much where "Swinton Square" now stands!!! A blue plaque on the wall and something to exploit maybe??

Edited by steve wild, 11 January 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#10 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

G

An interesting connection to exploit?
As most of us know, the club was founded by Swinton cricketers in October 1866, at a meeting held at St Peter's School.
What has just occurred to me, and what might not be widely known, was this was at the OLD St Peter's School, and NOT the school next door to Swinton Church.
And where was the old school where this historic meeting took place? On the site of the precinct, pretty much where "Swinton Square" now stands!!! A blue plaque on the wall and something to exploit maybe??

get them told someone! As stated previously the management company are very keen to promote anything Swinton related.On their Twitter feed they are asking for people to post interesting facts about our town.I have mentioned that Britains answer to abba,The Dooleys resided in Swinton in the late 70s .

#11 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

G get them told someone! As stated previously the management company are very keen to promote anything Swinton related.On their Twitter feed they are asking for people to post interesting facts about our town.I have mentioned that Britains answer to abba,The Dooleys resided in Swinton in the late 70s .

Britains answer to ABBA? Ha ha ha ha!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#12 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Britains answer to ABBA? Ha ha ha ha!

that was how one leading music publication described them.

#13 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

Think they lived at the top of fairmount rd and pretty sure they performed once at Broadaok primary summer or Christmas fair
They were from somewhere pretty ordinary but not Manchester

#14 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

They were from Clifton

#15 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Ilford In Essex according to Wikipedia!

#16 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

They lived on Fairmount Rd before later moved to Dixon Drive in Clifton.I never said they were actually from Swinton.The soul singer Lovelace Watkins who had a number one in the 70s also lived in Swinton.I also seem to recall that Corrie creator Tony Warren was born and raised in Swinton and still lives here as far as I'm aware.

Edited by duffymoon, 11 January 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#17 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

I understand Tony Warren lived somewhere near May road in swinton when we were kids and used to play on the dell. Could be wrong.

Point is, if you want something genuinely "famous" from Swinton it IS Swinton Rugby League Football Club. I can still record a very proud moment when working in London in the 1980's and the results of the Swinton game were published in the London Evening Standard! (Around the time of Fulham RLFC I recall).

If Swinton should be known for one thing it should be Rugby ( not .......the Dooleys, Dustin Gee, the family from Dorchester Road who won Dusty Bin, L S Lowrey, as a film set for Max and Paddy, Ryan Giggs,Adrian Morley, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies (and his Swinton jig(!)), and more recently/importantly Jorgie Porter).

SWINTON IS RUGBY.

cheers.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#18 Martin

Martin
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

I think Tony Warren lived on Westwood where my grandparents lived. I remember them talking about him. He's definitley still got relatives in Swinton.

I remember the Dooleys attending St. Charles church but they lived up Clifton, they were from Essex though. Maybe they loved rugby!

But agreed, Swinton is rugby, Dave Robinson, Derek Whitehead, Les Holliday, i could go on .....

#19 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Correct Martin,Tony Warren was born and raised on Westwood estate and later lived on Blantyre Rd off May Rd.

#20 Martin

Martin
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Correct Martin,Tony Warren was born and raised on Westwood estate and later lived on Blantyre Rd off May Rd.

Thanks DM, I bet even Keith didn't know that!

Just remembered I've got some old cine footage of the opening of the precinct by Ken Dodd. Problem is I'm in shorts holding a tickling stick! There's even footage of Fountain Square when it had water!