Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SWINTON SQUARE

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Tony Warren has lived for years on park ave and still does. Iused to pick him up regulary when i was taxi driving.

#22 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks DM, I bet even Keith didn't know that!

In fairly recent times, I heard that Tony Warren lived in (or near) Park Street.

Was also told by a workmate who went to the same grammar school as him that "Tony Warren" wasn't his real name.

Incidentally, I was told many years ago by my next door neighbour, that Albert Finney's grandparents lived in my house (Westwood estate) at one time

Oh, and don't forgetGandhi used to live on Station Road (No 119) as a lad next door to where Lowry (117) did his paintings earlier in the 20th century. Pity LS didn't devote at least some of his time to recording the Lions and their ground(s) in oils on canvas for posterity.

Edited by Blue Monkey, 12 January 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#23 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

In fairly recent times, I heard that Tony Warren lived in (or near) Park Street.
Was also told by a workmate who went to the same grammar school as him that "Tony Warren" wasn't his real name.
Incidentally, I was told many years ago by my next door neighbour, that Albert Finney's grandparents lived in my house (Westwood estate) at one time
Oh, and don't forgetGandhi used to live on Station Road (No 119) as a lad next door to where Lowry (117) did his paintings earlier in the 20th century. Pity LS didn't devote at least some of his time to recording the Lions and their ground(s) in oils on canvas for posterity.

Tony Warrens real name is Anthony Mcvay Simpson! His autobiography entitled " I was Ena Sharples father" is well worth a read.Tony was quite a hell raiser in his day.Blue Monkey there are relatives of Albert Finney living on KingswY.

#24 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

Tony Warren's real name is Anthony McVay Simpson! His autobiography entitled " I was Ena Sharples' father" is well worth a read. Tony was quite a hell raiser in his day. Blue Monkey there are relatives of Albert Finney living on Kingsway.

Thanks Dave Asda, I thought his name was Simpson. Yes, you're right too about the Finneys on Kingsway.

I seem to recall he scoured the names on headstones in local churchyards/cemeteries for the names of his characters to give an authentic ring to them, - Sharples, Barlow, Tatlock, Lindley, Caldwell, Longhurst etc

Edited by Blue Monkey, 12 January 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#25 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Wasn't the legend of the 60s & 70s club scene, Johnny 'Goon' Tweed, from Swinton? I know he was a big Lions fan. Moved to Isle of Man I believe.

#26 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Wasn't the legend of the 60s & 70s club scene, Johnny 'Goon' Tweed, from Swinton? I know he was a big Lions fan. Moved to Isle of Man I believe.

. Yes as I recall he was a very good friend of former video recorder Ann Bishop.Jonnys son Lionel still lives in Swinton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users