Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London's Signings for 2014 (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

http://www.bbc.com/s...league/25595439

#2 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:02 AM

And in later news, Mafeking has been relieved.

#3 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

The article as they always do, says that the Broncos will be competitive and will surprise a few people. The Broncos haven't surprised anyone in a long time and this team will finish nowhere but the bottom three.

#4 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

The article as they always do, says that the Broncos will be competitive and will surprise a few people. The Broncos haven't surprised anyone in a long time and this team will finish nowhere but the bottom three.

Well they finished bottom 2 last year so bottom 3 will be an improvment.

The combination of Sean Long and Tony Rea will be interesting. Tony will no doubt want to play it tight in the forwards and hope to score points of the other teams mistakes. Sean would probably like to play a more expansive game and hope to win games with the backs giving the ball plenty of air. Both strong characters which might see some fireworks between them, Then again the pair could be the dream ticket for the Broncos.

#5 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Look, if he gets London playing the way he did Salford then they will surprise people. 

Strikes me he knows about dealing with and overcoming adversity, knows what the score is at the Broncos and he just needs to keep focused on the job in hand. I think being away from Lancashire will do him some good.

If he can stick at it and deal with all the odds stacked against them, I think this position could be the making of Longy as a coach.

#6 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Look, if he gets London playing the way he did Salford then they will surprise people.

Strikes me he knows about dealing with and overcoming adversity, knows what the score is at the Broncos and he just needs to keep focused on the job in hand. I think being away from Lancashire will do him some good.

If he can stick at it and deal with all the odds stacked against them, I think this position could be the making of Longy as a coach.

when was he in Lancashire?

I thought he lived in Greater Manchester, and played in merseyside?

Unless there is some unreported story you are aware of from his days With preston grasshoppers? ?

#7 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Unless there is some unreported story you are aware of from his days With preston grasshoppers? ?

Cheap shots pal. You know the point he was trying to make.

#8 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Personally, I think he'll do a decent job. A lot will hinge on the raft of signings that are apparently in the pipeline.

#9 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Cheap shots pal. You know the point he was trying to make.

I am genuinely confused with the comments!

Is his family moving down with him?

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I am genuinely confused with the comments!

Is his family moving down with him?

A lot of folk consider Wigan to be in Lancashire. Most of Greater Manchester and Merseyside are traditionally part of Lancashire as are parts of Cheshire and Cumbria.

#11 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Personally, I think he'll do a decent job. A lot will hinge on the raft of signings that are apparently in the pipeline.

And who the signings are if the rumours are to be believed. Time will tell, but it won't be any stars from Super Laegue or the NRL iv'e heard.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Greater Manchester does not exist and never has existed as a place to live, nobody as ever had an official postal address that has been greater Manchester. You may as well use North West England.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,298 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

So let me get this straight.

In the last 12 months he's been at Salford, Wigan, Featherstone and now London?

#14 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

Greater Manchester does not exist and never has existed as a place to live, nobody as ever had an official postal address that has been greater Manchester. You may as well use North West England.

postal address is for the post office use, its a very poor argument! For instance St helens has a Warrington postcode which is cheshire....are Warrington in cheshire but again dont have a Cheshire post code?

How they organise mail delivery is irrelevant to the way the councils/gov operate....

Does GM police exsist or are they a myth? If god forbid you (or sean long)are arrested in wigan, what force would the arresting officer be from? Lancashire police? Merseyside police? Or GM police????

#15 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

So this thread isn't about Sean Long anymore then? Glad because I'm far more interested in post codes and regional boundaries...

#16 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Sean Long will one day coach England to an Ashes series win over the Aussies.

#17 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Does GM police exsist or are they a myth? If god forbid you (or sean long)are arrested in wigan, what force would the arresting officer be from? Lancashire police? Merseyside police? Or GM police????

If Sean Long was involved, it could well be Special Branch....

(The point you make is correct however - Wigan, Greater Manchester - therefore GM Police). 

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#18 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

If they come 12th out of 14 then that's all they need achieve in this first year.
It may be a surprise but Longy did a very good job with the Salford backs and halves.

#19 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Really?

Let's face it, the guy was an utter maverick as a player, and his levels of professionalism were appalling. (He was however, a fantastically talkented individual).

As a coach thougfh, surely a new team like the Broncos need some stability, systems, structures, and coaching staff who will instill all of these things as well as a very professional attitude.  That is the only way they will be able to compete, as they do not have the budget of other clubs.  Given that they are basically a new team, with a host of very young players, surely a coaching staff that leads by example, and emphasises a highly professional attitude is what's needed, and not some guy who is a great laugh at training, and tries to get the team playing 'champagne rugby' because he likes it, despite the fact that they are unlikely to have the personnel to do so?

Just a though.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#20 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Salford didn't have the backs and halves to play "Champagne Rugby" but under Long's coaching they did!
We all know about his off field and we all know about his coaching, it's just a matter of see how it goes really.
I'd still think he could do a very good job at London.
If I was a London fan my worry over the coaching wouldn't be Long it'd be Rea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users