Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London's Signings for 2014 (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

God, we seem to have a so much better squad than last season. Fingers crossed that they can gel together quickly and we get off to a decent start. I know everyone expects us to come bottom, but we've been favourites the last 5 years or so and still haven't. 

#82 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

God, we seem to have a so much better squad than last season. Fingers crossed that they can gel together quickly and we get off to a decent start. I know everyone expects us to come bottom, but we've been favourites the last 5 years or so and still haven't. 

It is still a very small squad. A few injuries and you've got to wonder where a match day squad of 17 will come from. It's a long better than things looked a couple of months ago but there is still a lot to do.

#83 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Its suggested on another forum that Ross has alledgedly tweeted that he is not coming over.

#84 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yep his twitter account seems to suggest he's not coming...

https://twitter.com/benross23

#85 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Yep his twitter account seems to suggest he's not coming...

https://twitter.com/benross23

Cheers for that R.L.G.

#86 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Knickers.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#87 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Ross aint going that's official, chatting to a friend of his earlier today who's spoke to the man himself. He has a young family, just misses playing the game and is finding readjustment to retirement hard, just wants to play. Shame really. Great bloke too

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#88 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Disappointing.  I can't see London having a strong enough squad to get through the season but signings like that were at least giving me optimism that we'd have a good *team* on paper at least.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#89 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Disappointing. I can't see London having a strong enough squad to get through the season but signings like that were at least giving me optimism that we'd have a good *team* on paper at least.

The main thing is that there seems to now be a fighting chance of staying up. Perhaps there are still a few more mystery signings to be had? I'm really looking forwards to the first home game on the 22nd Feb

#90 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

The main thing is that there seems to now be a fighting chance of staying up. Perhaps there are still a few more mystery signings to be had? I'm really looking forwards to the first home game on the 22nd Feb

If you can point out two clubs with a poorer team than the Broncos then I'd like to see it. Relegation is nailed on and, in all likelihood, that will be the end of the club.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#91 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Presumably purely on the basis that Broncos no longer play at a union ground?

#92 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

If you can point out two clubs with a poorer team than the Broncos then I'd like to see it. Relegation is nailed on and, in all likelihood, that will be the end of the club.

Wakefield and Widnes will be no better

#93 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

cas don't look to strong and who knows what team Bradford will end up with

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#94 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Aye - I forgot about Cas. I have a feeling Bradford might not do too bad though

#95 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Wakefield and Widnes will be no better

Both those clubs finished ahead of Broncos last year. Now Wakey have slumped off field in the meantime but I'm struggling to think what has happened to Widnes that was dramatically worse than what Broncos have gone through lately. 

#96 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

Hard to believe that either will finish below Broncos unless they can pull out some stunning signings in the next couple of weeks.

#97 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Aye - I forgot about Cas. I have a feeling Bradford might not do too bad though

Cas are much stronger than last year
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#98 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Basically the entire Broncos season will hang on the first two games against the Chemics and star studded Salford. If London's youth get a result or two early on then there will be wind in theire sails and they may collect competition points until of course they come up against a club like Wigan or Warrington at which point the wheels will come off in spectacular fashion never to return. A repeat of the first season under Rob Powell when Rob was Coach of the Month and David Hughes bragged in The Sun about how clever he was in ignoring RFL advice and appointing Rob. Plain sailing until Warrington away then it was downhill faster than Eddie the Eagle.ever went.

Other things to bear in mind are with no Income stream save David Hughes wallet, Whatever small sum SELCO are paying as shirt sponsors (If they are still with the club) and what remains of the SKY money. There is no financial incentive to attract any kind of reputable player to the club. all they can collect are journeymen who cannot find another club.

Equally, the clubs reputation within the game is in tatters. Ask yourself would you join a club that failed to pay it's remaining staff their wages over Christmas if you had any choice in the matter. I suspect any player approached might respond in an East Anglian manner "Norfolk-In-Chance". 

I have a lot of time for Sniffer and Sean Long and the problem is not coaching because a combination of Jack Gibson and Wayne Bennett would struggle with what Rea and Long have to work with.

The question really should be does a club in the state of the London Broncos, thrashed every other week, do anything to promote the sport of Rugby League to the population of Harrow?

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#99 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Basically the entire Broncos season will hang on the first two games against the Chemics and star studded Salford. If London's youth get a result or two early on then there will be wind in theire sails and they may collect competition points until of course they come up against a club like Wigan or Warrington at which point the wheels will come off in spectacular fashion never to return. A repeat of the first season under Rob Powell when Rob was Coach of the Month and David Hughes bragged in The Sun about how clever he was in ignoring RFL advice and appointing Rob. Plain sailing until Warrington away then it was downhill faster than Eddie the Eagle.ever went.

Other things to bear in mind are with no Income stream save David Hughes wallet, Whatever small sum SELCO are paying as shirt sponsors (If they are still with the club) and what remains of the SKY money. There is no financial incentive to attract any kind of reputable player to the club. all they can collect are journeymen who cannot find another club.

Equally, the clubs reputation within the game is in tatters. Ask yourself would you join a club that failed to pay it's remaining staff their wages over Christmas if you had any choice in the matter. I suspect any player approached might respond in an East Anglian manner "Norfolk-In-Chance".

I have a lot of time for Sniffer and Sean Long and the problem is not coaching because a combination of Jack Gibson and Wayne Bennett would struggle with what Rea and Long have to work with.

The question really should be does a club in the state of the London Broncos, thrashed every other week, do anything to promote the sport of Rugby League to the population of Harrow?

Rooster - to me it doesnt matter if they get a couple of tonkings this year. I expect it. What does matter is that they nick enough wins here and there against the lower clubs to stay up. I think they will win more games at home than the likes of Cas Wakey and Widnes based on the longer travel down to London.

Personally I cannot wait for the first home game. I've not felt so excited about a new season since the days at Brentford. It will be a great atmos in the home terrace (if they have the gumption to open it)

#100 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

With all of these signings I guess it is time to get the rag out in preparation for polishing silverware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users