Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

12 Years A Slave Film Director

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

So none of the businesses they invested in have ever impinged on your life, ever? Economies don't work lke that. Slavery underpinned the UK economy, the same one that exists today. The slavery money wasn't somehow extracted from the economy and destroyed. It's still there, spent, respent, invested, reinvested....

That train of thought if you followed it through would mean that descendants of slaves also benifited from that same money.

#42 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

And you think I should feel guilty for this? Besides are you trying to argue that All the money which this country benefitted from involved slavery? No income tax then?

The people most likely to suffer in these times were people like me, either in a mill or up a chimney perhaps. I have absolutely no reason to feel guilt. I won't buy such garbage.
What made this country a superpower was men like Watt and Arkwright and their machines - not slavery. Well it was slavery, but mainly for the white working class.

I didn't say you should feel guilty.

LUNEW.jpg

#43 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

That train of thought if you followed it through would mean that descendants of slaves also benifited from that same money.

Yes, it does.

LUNEW.jpg

#44 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

'In Bradford, one charity, Hope For Justice, has rescued ten people a week. Victims of people trafficking have been used as cheap labour in car washes, in food processing and furniture-making factories, as domestic servants, made to operate as gardeners at cannabis farms, while women have been forced into sexual exploitation.'

http://www.thetelegr...on_trafficking/

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#45 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

It's interesting reading this thread back after just seeing the film for myself.

Watching it, I didn't feel guilty as a white person for what was being depicted, I felt appalled as a human being at what some human beings are capabale of inflicting on other human beings when circumstances allow it.

It is a shocking story. The film is an uncomfortable watch, but well worth seeing.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

What does 'not making films for white people' mean? Sorry it's all BS

he means he's making them for money.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#47 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

It's interesting reading this thread back after just seeing the film for myself.

Watching it, I didn't feel guilty as a white person for what was being depicted, I felt appalled as a human being at what some human beings are capabale of inflicting on other human beings when circumstances allow it.

It is a shocking story. The film is an uncomfortable watch, but well worth seeing.

I'm going to see it on Monday night.  I had the chance to go tonight but after reading some comments on another forum from people who had watched it, I decided that I wanted to have a lighthearted Saturday night out and so I went to watch American Hustle instead (which was very enjoyable). 

Edited by Saintslass, 01 February 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#48 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I agree John - and even today the torture and killings going on leaves me wondering why such brutality. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#49 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

I agree John - and even today the torture and killings going on leaves me wondering why such brutality. 

That's true. But are all the baddies white... Like some people try to portray? Of course not, it about MANS inhumanity to MAN. Some people are however on a good earner trying to portray whitey as the originator of it all. 

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#50 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Regardless of all the valid debates on this thread, it's a terrific film with some great performances, not least of which is Michael Fassbender as the psychotic slave owner.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#51 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

That's true. But are all the baddies white... Like some people try to portray? Of course not, it about MANS inhumanity to MAN. Some people are however on a good earner trying to portray whitey as the originator of it all. 

The film tells a true story. Yes, all the bad guys in it are white. But not all the white people in the film are bad guys.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users