Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Stadium news.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Was just wondering if the wonderful RFL family could help with info on the stat of proposed or potential new build stadiums. The thread could just be topped up by info as service info. It seems that Wakey's and York's new stadia have had there new grounds "Coming Soon" for ever now.

#2 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Wakefield's is reliant and the surrounding development. A large cold storage company synonymous with Tesco has an application approved to build a large percentage of the enabling works but more is needed.

There was a rumour last week which suggested the development has been pulled with Trinity looking to build a £5m main stand at BV instead but as it stands that has been rubbished by the key players involved in the project.

#3 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

There is of course the local protest groups
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#4 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

There was a rumour last week which suggested the development has been pulled with Trinity looking to build a £5m main stand at BV instead but as it stands that has been rubbished by the key players involved in the project.

I'd love to see some of these grounds remain and become gradually redeveloped as opposed to moving to a new ground. I love Castleford's ground and think it would be a shame if they left there. However, from my limited understanding I gather it is cheaper to build a brand spanking new one on a new site than gradually demolish and re-build an existing ground.

#5 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Yes the cost of maintaining an old(er) stadiums rapidly costs more than a new modern style stadium. Any sport club GM will tell you that No team can compete until in a new build stadium and even better if there gonna own or at least part own it.

#6 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

There is of course the local protest groups

Well they've had their say and the development has been passed.

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Yes the cost of maintaining an old(er) stadiums rapidly costs more than a new modern style stadium. Any sport club GM will tell you that No team can compete until in a new build stadium and even better if there gonna own or at least part own it.

Featherstone seem to have gone a middle route of more or less building a largely new or recycled stadium on an existing site.

#8 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

I hear this from a lot of non-league football fans That local councils aren't inersted in helping clubs find land in there boroughs they just treat them as a nuisuiance. These are the 1st people on tv thou should the club go on a great run or get national exposure. Some1 once told me that our local councillor would go 2 the opening of an envelope if I'd had column inches in it.

#9 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:12 PM

Wakefield's is reliant and the surrounding development. A large cold storage company synonymous with Tesco has an application approved to build a large percentage of the enabling works but more is needed.

Turns out there was an element of truth to the rumour.

Trinity planning on staying at a redeveloped BV. Back to square one again.

http://www.wakefield...JNzjZUI.twitter

#10 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

What will redevelopment entail? A new stand i'd imagine?

#11 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

Anyone's guess. The whole place needs razing to the ground and starting a fresh. New main stand may be the priority.

#12 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

A new coat of paint is probably nearer the mark

#13 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

A new coat of paint is probably nearer the mark

Probably.

#14 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Redevelopment of Belle Vue has being doing the rounds since a fans forum in September when fans were quizzed if they would be in favour of staying at Belle Vue or moving to the well out of town Newmarket development . Think the problem was we need new ground ASAP so the club can develop and plan and with Newmarket stadium funding relying on occupied warehouses that could take years. If all party's have agreed Belle Vue is the quickest option I'm all for it aslong as it's done properly

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Best practice? Can of petrol. Match. Insurance form.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

meanwhile....how much club/fans/council tax money has gone on this pipedream? Expect lots of "told you so."

#17 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

meanwhile....how much club/fans/council tax money has gone on this pipedream? Expect lots of "told you so."

Relatively nothing. The whole development is still happening. It's just the stadium that will not. There is hope that a portion of the site earmarked for the stadium will still be used for community and training facilities, a small arena for academy games and for local amateur teams to use. These are still very much needed, but won't cost quite so much.

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Relatively nothing. The whole development is still happening. It's just the stadium that will not. There is hope that a portion of the site earmarked for the stadium will still be used for community and training facilities, a small arena for academy games and for local amateur teams to use. These are still very much needed, but won't cost quite so much.

I've gone there for decades, and as far as I'm concerned all three sides except the flats are awful and to attract and accommodate customers it needs three new stands for cover, comfortable seating and decent food drink and toilet facilities. I get the impression the site is tight, and this is a move out of necessity through the condemnation and scaling down of the capacity, which the fans have no inclination to test anyway. But I also feel Trinity's ambitions have been effectively scaled down too.

My question is as the club are seemingly skint how do they afford to build anything? Money was ring fenced from the sale of Belle Vue, but if they are staying then how can that be used??

#19 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

I've gone there for decades, and as far as I'm concerned all three sides except the flats are awful and to attract and accommodate customers it needs three new stands for cover, comfortable seating and decent food drink and toilet facilities. I get the impression the site is tight, and this is a move out of necessity through the condemnation and scaling down of the capacity, which the fans have no inclination to test anyway. But I also feel Trinity's ambitions have been effectively scaled down too.

My question is as the club are seemingly skint how do they afford to build anything? Money was ring fenced from the sale of Belle Vue, but if they are staying then how can that be used??

The money that was to be spent on a new stadium at Newmarket will transfer straight across to the redevelopment of Belle Vue so no money from Trinity required.

I'm with you on the total redevelopment but I'd go further and say all four sides need doing

#20 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Agreed all sided need redeveloping, however in reality the funding won't cover the costs. At best I think we can hope for a new East Stand, a new simple Western terrace and major remedial action to the Northern Terrace. I think there's a lot of water to flow under the bridge yet though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users