Schools question

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

That's true and from what I have read, it has been run appallingly, and that has been no secret. see http://www.kings.ac/...mprovement-.pdf

Something must be done!

And yes, the current govt  has  enthusiastically pursued the Blair vision.

#42 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Now look what Gove has done.   I fully expect the forum to be up in arms about this. This is OUTRAGEOUS!

#43 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

There was one male teacher during my whole time at infants and Primary school.  He got sent down for touching up school girls about 7 years ago.  Must admit none of us who were in his class were overly surprised.

#44 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Now look what Gove has done.   I fully expect the forum to be up in arms about this. This is OUTRAGEOUS!

Oddly, this is the first thing to come to my mind reading that. 

_39047083_gummer238.jpg

:O

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

The Blairs sent their children to state school.  See HERE.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Oddly, this is the first thing to come to my mind reading that. 

_39047083_gummer238.jpg

:O

:biggrin:

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

The Blairs sent their children to state school.  See HERE.

Good for him. Singlehandedly he saved he forum from meltdown. Will we ever see his like again?   Here's what the shadow education minister has to say: http://www.huffingto..._n_4172528.html

#48 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Good for him. Singlehandedly he saved he forum from meltdown. Will we ever see his like again?   Here's what the shadow education minister has to say: http://www.huffingto..._n_4172528.html

To be fair though, his son is called Digby.  How do you cope with that at state school?

#49 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Beatrice, 10, has secured a place at a popular Church of England girls’ comprehensive at the heart of Westminster - her first choice school.

Oh yes, that must be a really downmarket comprehensive school mired with the chavs from the local sink estate.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#50 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

The damn Gove person again: Guardian article 

#51 craig hamilton

craig hamilton
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

I may be way off the mark here but in the current era, men who show a genuine interest in working with young children seem to viewed as odd for it.

On another point, I am a secondary school French teacher and the same is true here. A lot of boys only respond to a bit of 'male dominance' as my old Deputy Head called it. That's not to say most of the staff can deal with them. Indeed some of the women I work with can show me a thing or two!

#52 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

I may be way off the mark here but in the current era, men who show a genuine interest in working with young children seem to viewed as odd for it.

On another point, I am a secondary school French teacher and the same is true here. A lot of boys only respond to a bit of 'male dominance' as my old Deputy Head called it. That's not to say most of the staff can deal with them. Indeed some of the women I work with can show me a thing or two!

This happens even in Primary level. It is surprising that quite a lot of boys, even generally well behaved boys will be extremely disrespectful to female teachers. It's probably more of a reflection of society tbh. 

I never felt my decision to become a teacher resulted in anybody thinking I was odd for doing it. I suppose it depends on who you are, most people seemed to think it suited me. I'm hardly the blokiest guy you'll ever meet. 

#53 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

The damn Gove person again: Guardian article 

As a teacher, I think he has a point and I think there is a wider point. 

I did a PGCE after having worked in the real world for the majority of my 20's. I find that PGCE students tend to be more appreciative of the benefits of teaching: the holidays, the positivity, the variety, the fun etc I've known many teachers that went through school. college and university before going straight into a teaching job and as a result I've seen some moan about things like holidays, for instance the idea of only having a 4 week summer holiday seeming like an absolute travesty. 

As I said at the time, they should try having 4 weeks off a year, when you employer will let you have it, and then moan about a 4 week summer holiday. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 08 March 2014 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users