I feel like reminiscing - again

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Missing my rugby - uncertain of the future - so having a look at my old programmes

50 years ago tomorrow Saturday 11th January 1964 I would have been at Station Road watching these lads - Gowers,Speed,Buckley,Stopford,Partkinson,Williams,Bate,Clarke,Morgan,Norburn,Cummings,Blan beat Keighley 16 - 2 on our way to our second successive league title.

Price of the programme 3d (old pence)

Swinton & Pendlebury Journal (worth buying then) 4d

H C Cooke Sports Shop in Manchester were selling Rugby Jerseys for 17 shilling 6d

Alan Prescott and Eric Ashton were writing in the Football Pink (in this days you got a match report on a Saturday after the game)

The Lions Christmas draw had been made by Albert Plan with 20 prizes ranging from 1st prize 20lb Turkey to 20th prize 100 Cigarettes???

Johnny Stopford had scored 16 tries so far in 17 games

The Wishing Well was offering membership for £1 per year

So enough of that - over to you guys that can remember all this

#2 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I was there and I'm sure I saw Bob Fleet at centre!

Fleet and Speed!

Happy days!
Posted Image

#3 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

I was there and I'm sure I saw Bob Fleet at centre!

Fleet and Speed!

Happy days!

Apologies, missed Bob out should not have forgot him

#4 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

The Football Pink - now that was a treat on a Saturday evening.  My brother and I did our own version of it once using an old typewriter and pink paper we reported on a Swinton victory over St Helens and did in depth coverage on one of our table football matches from the league we used to run.  Simple pleasure and good fun.

#5 Gowers Magic Hands

Gowers Magic Hands
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Great days. I used to cut out all the Swinton  photos from the Journal and the Pink for my scrapbook. Did anyone buy the Buff ? It was Bolton Evening News version of the Football Pink. Ken Gowers had a regular column in the Buff. I can even recall a photo of a Swinton match at Derwent Park in the Buff. Goodness knows how they managed to get that back in time.

#6 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Do any oldies like me remember when they had 'ringed faces' from the crowd? They gathered fans together and took their picture to print in the paper with maybe 3 faces ringed. (usually next to the tunnel) If your face was ringed you got, wait for it! A whole guinea. (21 shillings or £1.05 today).

I remember calling at the M.E.N. HQ when it was on Cross Street in town. (50+ years ago) to collect my £1-1s-0d.

:bye:

#7 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Do any oldies like me remember when they had 'ringed faces' from the crowd? They gathered fans together and took their picture to print in the paper with maybe 3 faces ringed. (usually next to the tunnel) If your face was ringed you got, wait for it! A whole guinea. (21 shillings or £1.05 today).

I remember calling at the M.E.N. HQ when it was on Cross Street in town. (50+ years ago) to collect my £1-1s-0d.

:bye:

As an 'oldie' I do remember - never won - great memories though

#8 pricey53

pricey53
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

I remember the ringed faces very well Keith I still have a couple of them in my old scrapbook in fact my old mate and your close neighbour Keith walker is one of the ringed faces happy days for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users