Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cas v Knights

19/01 1pm

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Caldecott

Caldecott
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

Anybody off to this one?

Kick off is at 1pm for anyone who hasn't seen it.

First run out in a while for pretty much all of our team and it sounds like Cas are playing a young side. Not really sure what to expect from us but it will be interesting to see what sort of players we could have on dual-reg if we ever need it that Cas have.

For anyone who is going and likes to save a little bit of money, tickets are cheaper in advance... http://www.castigers...cle.php?id=3925

#2 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

We'll be there, not sure about Cas young side, understand it will be a strong Cas side.

Sounds like no Freer, Aldous, Harper of Golden for us for various reasons

#3 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

We'll be there, not sure about Cas young side, understand it will be a strong Cas side.

Sounds like no Freer, Aldous, Harper of Golden for us for various reasons

Blimey - I wasn't wrong:

Castleford Tigers 21-man squad v York City Knights

1. Jordan Tansey

5. Justin Carney

7. Marc Sneyd

8. Andy Lynch

10. Craig Huby

11. Grant Millington

14. Daryl Clark

16. Oliver Holmes

18. Frankie Mariano

19. Scott Wheeldon

22. Richard Owen

23. Michael Channing

24. James Clare

25. Dan Fleming

26. Liam Finn

27. Charlie Martin

28. Ben Reynolds

29. Brett Seymour

30. Jordan Howden

Brad Day

Will Maher

#4 Caldecott

Caldecott
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

I wish it was a young cas side now.

Cas who have already played a friendly, are full time pros and probably didn't have much of a break over xmas are playing pretty much a super league side.

Us, who haven't played a friendly yet, are semi-pro and had a bit of a break over xmas are playing together properly for the first time. 

I can only see one result, and it will probably be a thrashing. Hope to be proved wrong though.

#5 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

I wish it was a young cas side now.

Cas who have already played a friendly, are full time pros and probably didn't have much of a break over xmas are playing pretty much a super league side.

Us, who haven't played a friendly yet, are semi-pro and had a bit of a break over xmas are playing together properly for the first time. 

I can only see one result, and it will probably be a thrashing. Hope to be proved wrong though.

Don't worry, score line is erelavant, main thing is our lads get a good run out & build

towards the proper stuff

#6 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Some pics on my website, will upload loads tomorrow http://www.gcsportsphotos.co.uk

#7 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Don't worry, score line is erelavant, main thing is our lads get a good run out & build
towards the proper stuff

What was the result and more importantly the performance of the Knights?

#8 M.Knight

M.Knight
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

cas 62 knights 6

#9 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

cas 62 knights 6

With the two teams put out I was expecting a worse scoreline than that and a bit of a bonus to get on the scoresheet

#10 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

I made it 64-6 !

Cas: Tansey (went off injured 30 mins); Owen (T5), Channing, Carney (T12 T16 T31), Clare (T66); Sneyd (T55 T61 T71 & 8 conversions), Finn; Fleming, Clark (T69), Wheedon, Mariano, Martin, Millington.

Subs; Lynch, Huby (T24), Holmes, Reynolds (T73), Seymour, Howden, Maher, Day.

Knights: Haynes; McDonald, Rogers, Minikin, Dent; Ben Hardcastle (1 conversion), Pressley; Bell, Pat Smith, Joynt, Mallinder, Crane, Pickles

Subs: Brining (T38), Iley, Stubbs, Orange, Backhouse, Luke Hardcastle, Nathaniel, Pickerill

Cas MOM; Sneyd

Knights MOM: Joynt

Knights struggled to hold Cas for much of the game, Carney being particularly influential in the first half hour, terrorising the Knights right side defence. Pickles, Bell and Joynt showed up well early on but the Knights were regularly penalised by the ref and Cas scored tries from these.

Gary Thornton admitted afterwards that he had spoken to the ref at half time about pinging the Knights consistently throughout the first 40.

Just before half time the Knights worked downfield after a good Ben Hardcastle kick and, from a scrum 20 metres out, Kris Brining cleverly ducked and dummied through the Cas defence to race away and go in under the posts.

After the break the Knights had an excellent defensive 15 minutes but then. as defenders started to tire, Liam Finn found a number of telling passes to open up the visiting defence and the Super League side stretched away.

Missing for York were Morrison, Ford, Harper, Aldous, Patterson, Golden, Ed Smith and Elliott.

GT said that he hoped these would feature next week against Gateshead and that he had been particularly impressed by Bell, Joynt, Pickles, Minikin, Dent and McDonald.

Edited by andyacko, 19 January 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#11 Barlby Knight 65

Barlby Knight 65
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

Thought it was a good effort from the boys today , thought the ref was a little pedantic & have us very little but end of day it was the 1st run out for a team new to each other & predominantly U20s , a lot of experienced Super League players in the Cas side

#12 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

More than happy with that performance from a very young side, problems

with my contact lenses & no announcement of our interchanges didn't help

me pick out our stand out players, but think Pickles, Bell, Joynt, Benn Hardcastle

& Minikin looked good but nobody let themselves down.

All in all looks very promising when you put the 'missing' lads back in the mix

#13 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

I made it 64-6 !
Cas: Tansey (went off injured 30 mins); Owen (T5), Channing, Carney (T12 T16 T31), Clare (T66); Sneyd (T55 T61 T71 & 8 conversions), Finn; Fleming, Clark (T69), Wheedon, Mariano, Martin, Millington.
Subs; Lynch, Huby (T24), Holmes, Reynolds (T73), Seymour, Howden, Maher, Day.

Knights: Haynes; McDonald, Rogers, Minikin, Dent; Ben Hardcastle (1 conversion), Pressley; Bell, Pat Smith, Joynt, Mallinder, Crane, Pickles
Subs: Brining (T38), Iley, Stubbs, Orange, Backhouse, Luke Hardcastle, Nathaniel, Pickerill

Andy your maths is terrible. 11 tries and 8 goals = 60pts, not 64 or 62. Only it was 9 goals. for 62pts. ;)

#14 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Press report
http://www.yorkpress...City_Knights_6/

#15 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Andy your maths is terrible. 11 tries and 8 goals = 60pts, not 64 or 62. Only it was 9 goals. for 62pts. ;)

Thanks, mate. Sadly, yesterday, I didnt have my good friend Peter Martini sat at the side of me to keep me right !

Presumably, as I was holding down various conversations, I got a Sneyd conversion down as a try instead ! Presume he only scored two tries !!

Or it was my new specs, or the sun was in my eyes etc etc... :tongue:

Close enough for a friendly !

Edited by andyacko, 20 January 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 19/01, 1pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users