Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Congratulations Johnathan Thurston

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,831 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

A humble Johnathan Thurston says it'll take him a few days to accept his status among rugby league's greats after winning the coveted Golden Boot for a second time.

The Australian, Queensland and North Queensland five-eighth is only the third player to take out the Rugby League World magazine award twice, alongside Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer.

Thurston, man of the match in the Kangaroos' World Cup final win over New Zealand at Old Trafford in November, edged out England forward Sam Burgess to follow up his 2011 success.

Dual-code New Zealand international Sonny Bill Williams came third in the voting - which is conducted by a panel of journalists - with Australian captain Cameron Smith fourth and Huddersfield's Scotland captain Danny Brough fifth.

"It's obviously a huge honour to receive it; there's a lot of great players running around in the game today," Thurston told reporters at Cowboys HQ on Friday.

"To have my name alongside Joey and Locky to win it twice, it's pretty special.

"It probably won't sink in for the next few days."

JT had a great 2013 season and of course a winning World Cup competition.

As well as being a superb athlete, he's a gentleman and a wonderful ambassador for our game.

Top award, top man.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

JT is head and shoulders above the rest for a long time now. Spot on with this award again. 

Not long now before i see him in the trail match up here where i live, i will take a gold painted boot to the game to remind everyone of his brilliance. hehe. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users